Fog light wiring - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Fog light wiring

So I have 2016 1k and I bought some PIAA fog lights. The lights come with a wiring diagram and and a switch. i hooked everything up as per the diagram connecting the hot wire directly to the battery. The lights work just fine when the ignition switch is off. but as soon as i turn the ignition switch to on and try to start the bike all the lighting goes off and the bike wont start. I disconnected the hot from the battery and touched it to the license plate wire and the light works fine and the bike will start and run fine. Q: why is this? also if i slave the fox lights to the license plate light will it pull to much power through that line and burn it out? Could I use a fuse tap? if so should i tap the low beams or the ignition fuse. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80CJ5 View Post
So I have 2016 1k.... bought some PIAA fog lights.... with a switch.... i hooked everything up as per the diagram.... hot wire directly to the battery.... lights work just fine when the ignition switch is off.... ignition switch on and all the lighting goes off and the bike wont start..... touched it to the license plate wire and the light works fine and the bike will start and run fine..
Without seeing your wiring schematic, it is tough to say why it would do that if you wired according to their directions. Can you include their diagram as an attached photo? What model PIAA and are these LEDs? If all works fine with the bike off, does that mean you can turn your fogs on and off with an aux switch? That should be the case since you are direct to the battery. But turning the ignition should not impact that. If the lights die when you turn the ignition on, do the directions have you wiring these fogs into the high/lo beams so they can only come on when the lo beams are on? Double check that because it sounds like your problem could be there. Using the license plate wire could overheat that wire, depending on the current pull of the fog lights -- see earlier question about which model these are and if they are LEDs. Regardless, I personally would run the fogs through a relay. Power from the license plate could be used to activate the relay but power to the lights would be direct from the battery or a free circuit in an aux fuse box. If your directions say to hook the fogs straight to the battery, I am guessing these pull a lot of current and are not LEDs, but just a guess. Sorry to have more questions than answers, but a bit more info is needed

post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

∆∆∆∆What he said. I personally don't hook up any accessories directly to the battery. I always use a relay with an aftermarket fuse box for switched power. I would rather start my bike without the draw from some halogen auxiliary lights competing for current.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV

post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Watch my video on wiring up an auxiliary fuse block and installing some LED hand guards, it's not that hard. https://youtu.be/NJEkMb0thHc

Last edited by Jim L; 04-09-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80CJ5 View Post
So I have 2016 1k.... bought some PIAA fog lights.... with a switch.... i hooked everything up as per the diagram.... hot wire directly to the battery.... lights work just fine when the ignition switch is off.... ignition switch on and all the lighting goes off and the bike wont start..... touched it to the license plate wire and the light works fine and the bike will start and run fine..
Without seeing your wiring schematic, it is tough to say why it would do that if you wired according to their directions. Can you include their diagram as an attached photo? What model PIAA and are these LEDs? If all works fine with the bike off, does that mean you can turn your fogs on and off with an aux switch? That should be the case since you are direct to the battery. But turning the ignition should not impact that. If the lights die when you turn the ignition on, do the directions have you wiring these fogs into the high/lo beams so they can only come on when the lo beams are on? Double check that because it sounds like your problem could be there. Using the license plate wire could overheat that wire, depending on the current pull of the fog lights -- see earlier question about which model these are and if they are LEDs. Regardless, I personally would run the fogs through a relay. Power from the license plate could be used to activate the relay but power to the lights would be direct from the battery or a free circuit in an aux fuse box. If your directions say to hook the fogs straight to the battery, I am guessing these pull a lot of current and are not LEDs, but just a guess. Sorry to have more questions than answers, but a bit more info is needed

I think im going to go with what you guys are saying and put a relay in. I believe it will be safer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BACE1A7-D4DA-452C-BCDC-8C7ED1FEEEEC_1554913824467.jpg (461.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 57069188-396A-497E-AD82-660834F9D472_1554913980341.jpg (226.8 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Great video thanks.
Jim L likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

a. since those fog light directions seem to be for an automobile installation, take care where you mount that switch as it may not be waterproof.
b. DO NOT ground to the frame. Their directions say something about grounding to the body. DO NOT ground to the frame of the motorcycle. Run your ground wires directly back to the battery and hook them either to the battery or into an aux fuse box (I prefer an aux fuse box). Best if you make the fog lights a complete circuit from an aux fuse box, meaning have the pos and neg begin/end there. DO NOT ground to the frame.
c. If you need help with the relay, or an aux fuse box, check this site for some tips and help: Relay Installation - LDRiders
d. I didn't see any specs on the fog lights regarding their amp needed. I think you make a fine decision to go with a relay to run the fog lights.

Are they amber or white? Send us a photo of your installation once everything is up and running.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
a. since those fog light directions seem to be for an automobile installation, take care where you mount that switch as it may not be waterproof.
b. DO NOT ground to the frame. Their directions say something about grounding to the body. DO NOT ground to the frame of the motorcycle. Run your ground wires directly back to the battery and hook them either to the battery or into an aux fuse box (I prefer an aux fuse box). Best if you make the fog lights a complete circuit from an aux fuse box, meaning have the pos and neg begin/end there. DO NOT ground to the frame.
c. If you need help with the relay, or an aux fuse box, check this site for some tips and help: Relay Installation - LDRiders
d. I didn't see any specs on the fog lights regarding their amp needed. I think you make a fine decision to go with a relay to run the fog lights.

Are they amber or white? Send us a photo of your installation once everything is up and running.

I'm an electrical dummy when it comes to motorcycles. Why is it not wise to ground to the frame?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 01:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Thanks Gert. Never new that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode