2014 Starts and runs but dies - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bville-Bud View Post
Took the battery to the battery shop and it checked out. She was VERY low on fuel when stalling, and I filled it with a gas can & new gas. Maybe I could drain and check, but I think I'm OK. Thoughts?

BTW - thanks for your patience & thoughts
As for the battery.....mine tested good as well, but it obviously wasn't. I kept having a voltage drain when my bike sat for even a few days, bike also didn't start up right. I installed a new YUASA which replaced the cheap piece of crap I cheaped out on, that fixed the issues and bike runs/starts like a Rolex going on over a year now.

You didn't wash your bike recently by chance did you? I'd throw an almost full can of seafoam of Berryman12 in a "full tank" of gas and see what happens. You can also put in about half a can for what's in there now, it most certainly cannot hurt and might even solve your issues.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
As for the battery.....mine tested good as well, but it obviously wasn't. I kept having a voltage drain when my bike sat for even a few days, bike also didn't start up right. I installed a new YUASA which replaced the cheap piece of crap I cheaped out on, that fixed the issues and bike runs/starts like a Rolex going on over a year now.

You didn't wash your bike recently by chance did you? I'd throw an almost full can of seafoam of Berryman12 in a "full tank" of gas and see what happens. You can also put in about half a can for what's in there now, it most certainly cannot hurt and might even solve your issues.
Thanks again, I'll seafoam tonight.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-09-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
Spark _ Fuel _ and .... AIR
Any chance a critter has made a nest in the air intake?
Gas cap air vent clear?
Charcoal canister?

The other thing you haven't said yet: during the 20 seconds of life will it rev up freely?
Will it start without pulling in the clutch lever?
During the 20 seconds of life will it rev up freely - yes, it will rev anywhere you want to take it
Will it start without pulling in the clutch lever - I don't know. I'll kick her in neutral and try tonight
Any chance a critter has made a nest in the air intake? - I'll check!
Gas cap air vent clear? - No clue. Run a paperclip through the vent?
Charcoal canister? - again not a clue, I'm searching the web, where is this?

Thanks!

post #14 of 23 Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 PM
$tromtrooper

So you're saying it was really low in fuel so you put gas from a gas can in it and then it acted up?
V-Tom likes this.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

This article is interesting. Could the gas in the gas can have been old and contained ethanol?

Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline
NVDucati likes this.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Add Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
This article is interesting. Could the gas in the gas can have been old and contained ethanol?

Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline
Here is a method for removing ethanol from gasoline from the Goldwing forum.

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14679
Bugzy likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #17 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hey guys - an update

It was a self inflicted wound. I took it to the shop and told them the story. They said that they ran the diagnostics & a "TO" sensor was installed upside down? The tech said it looked like when I took the battery out I put it in wrong.

I don't remember unplugging anything but the leads and taking the cover loose, but I'm sure that I must have done the plug also...

Can you guys help me with two other things?

1 - What the hell is a TO sensor so I don't do this again?

2 - diagnostics - how do I run my own?

Many thanks guys
Lrobby99 likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hmmm ... I did not realize that any of those electrical connectors would allow being inserted in reverse by design.

Quote:
Hey guys - an update

It was a self inflicted wound. I took it to the shop and told them the story. They said that they ran the diagnostics & a "TO" sensor was installed upside down? The tech said it looked like when I took the battery out I put it in wrong.

I don't remember unplugging anything but the leads and taking the cover loose, but I'm sure that I must have done the plug also...

Many thanks guys

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #19 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Hey guys - an update

Many thanks guys
The important thing is you are back on the road, and it didn't cost a lot of quid.
I can't help with 1&2

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi bars, Givi rear wheel mud guard, Givi radiator screen. Givi topcase Monokey. Puig screen, Freeway Blaster horn, Speedohealer. SW Motech R. brake reservoir guard. Tuono mirrors.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like blinker fluid needs refilling to me.

You may need to ask them what the hell they did to the bike.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode