Fuel Pump Bypass - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fuel Pump Bypass

Friends,

My 2014 DL 1000 here in Mexico developed a new problem yesterday: it started to bog down and stall when I rolled on the acceleration. Makes for interesting riding around a "glorieta" (traffic circle) when you're trying to squeeze in to oncoming traffic and the bike tries to stall!

My primary question is about the fuel pump filter bypass and external filter that there's so much about on the site -- but as far as I can tell that's for previous generation Vstroms. Has anyone done that mod to a 2014+ DL 1000? Any differences?

Also, I'm a bit confused about fuel flow rate. Here the consensus is 1200 ml in 30 seconds. In the service manual the spec is 167 ml in 10 seconds. (Multiply by 3 and that's only 500 ml in 30 seconds -- doesn't seem like much.) Anybody checked fuel flow on a stock, normally running 2014+ ? What did you find?

Meanwhile, today I disassembled the fuel pump and found the fuel screen had a fair amount of crud. Maybe not enough to be the sole source of the issue but enough maybe to contribute to it. Not having a replacement (and a new one will take a couple of weeks to get here) I cleaned it and reinstalled it.

Also, it looks like the original battery is still in it and the static voltage of the battery in the bike with headlights on looked a bit low so I'll replace it tomorrow. Again, maybe not a smoking gun but possibly a contributor.

Hopefully cleaning the screen and replacing the battery will solve the problem.

I a curious about the internal high pressure filter bypass on 2014s and up.

Thanks,

Vinnie
Hatchi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 01:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had mine play up while on a trip, because of the situation I was in I payed a shop to change the filter screen and put in fresh fuel ,

It has given me no trouble since but I have purchased a spare pump as a back up.

My pump has had a hard life as I run my tanks right down when I can and even ran empty 3 times in one day but the pump is still going strong.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

The tank design of the V2 is different than the 1st generation where the pump intake was at the very bottom of the tank and thus the pump would suck in every muck that accumulated on the bottom. At the V2 there is a sump that is lower than the pump intake, so there should be less risk of the pump getting fouled up. I can't recall any reports here about pump problems for the V2 but that does not mean its not happening.

If you are suspicious of the battery, start with recording and reporting actual voltage while riding using the instrument display numbers. Mine reads just under 14V all the time when riding.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Agree with battery, but i'm suspicious you have bad gas, perhaps too much moisture in it?
V-Tom and Motorpsychology like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 11 Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, good info on the different design. Could be bad gas. Here in Mexico there's been a lot of drama around gas and, even in the Pemex stations, it's possible that the station's tanks were filled with bootleg gas. I drain the tank and refilled with new gas.

New battery goes in this afternoon, then I'll ride it around town and see if the problem returns.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Big B and bighammer like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been asking about Vee2 filter bypass since I bought my 2014 about a year ago. Nobody has done it as far as I have found. Does anyone know if the fuel pump/filter assembly is shared with any other bike? Could buy a used one on ebay and tinker with it without consequence to the one in my bike.

2014 One Thou Pow!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I thought I had read somewhere that someone tried bypassing the filter on V2 and it had no effect, but that was years ago now. Not sure if it was this forum or someplace else.

If I was contemplating it, I would probably start by comparing the pump part numbers between the Vee and V2 to see if the pumps are even the same.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

The filter screen and tank O ring must be shared with other bikes, the dealer I used to clean my tank had them in stock because "they use lots of them"

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-07-2019, 06:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Is it possible to put a filter bag around the whole assembly?

2002 DL 1000
post #10 of 11 Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad View Post
Is it possible to put a filter bag around the whole assembly?
There is already an easily replaceable prefilter on the pump intake, but those screen perforations are much larger than the internal high pressure filter.

2014 One Thou Pow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode