2014-16 1000 vs 2017+ 1000, difference - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
2014-16 1000 vs 2017+ 1000, difference

Can someone explain to me what the differences are between these model years, or why there are different forums? It would be helpful when reading about possible problems or how accessories fit. A lot of accessories i order say they fit 2014 and up, yet our forums here separate the two. Was there a redesign mechanically?

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
This is a good start for you.......

Suzuki Announces Changes to 2018 V-Strom 1000 Models - MotorcycleDaily.com - Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
ERockJL likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 14 Old 02-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

There are not a lot of differences between the two aside from the ABS and spoked wheels, and the way the beak attaches at the front. I think they changed the cast wheels slightly as well on the less expensive model.

Same engine, same frame, same suspension.

Be sure to visit both of the subforums for this bike and just know which model year you have to not confuse everyone.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

2014-16 1000 vs 2017+ 1000, difference

I heard from my suspensions engineer that the rear shock spring may be different with a lower coefficient k in the newer 1000xt, just like it was with my 2018 650xt one compared to older years models..

Other than this the new 1000 has the low rpm assist function, very useful in the city traffic. I like it a lot when you have to go very slowly..

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Erock, from what Ive read, seen, and discussions with the Suzuki factory rep, the changes are--some already posted here-- different "beak", adoption of cornering ABS, reshaped and resized windscreen, slightly different shape to the rear of the fuel tank and front of the seat, change in finish to the instrument cluster bezel surrounding the speedometer, change in color of front fork legs, change in frame color and footrests. Different decals and placement of the Suzuki logo on the tank trim as well. The 1000 plastic luggage rack is now black instead of the previous silver.
About the low-rpm assist...
One thing Ive noticed with my '14 1000 is that is has that function, as does a friend's '14 650. Let out the clutch, and and just before the clutch grabs the engine rpm rises without any manual application of throttle.
Talking with the rep about the ECU recall for the 1000, I was told that the revised ECU programming was designed to replicate the '18 in terms of exhaust backpressure valve strategy and ignition timing. He was unsure if there had been any changes to injection duration. The '18 has a different exhaust front section with catalysts for Euro-4 emissions compliance. I havent checked to see if the 02 sensors and number of them have been changed. Supposedly there was a slight drop in HP or Tq, said to be unnoticeable during riding.
A Suzuki 55L Top Case is offered for '18(retrofits the '14-'17) 1000, but according to the accessory catalog it is not to be used with the oem side cases mounted to the bike. The regular 35L top case now comes with a passenger backrest, and has a different part number than the earlier top cases.
Erock, I'm still groovin' on my leftover/new '14 I purchased Jan '17. New is new, but the changes arent enough for me to even thing about getting a later-year Vstrom1000. But I did replace the '14 windscreen with one for the '18--much quieter with less turbulence, and fits like it grew there.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-05-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks Maz, I wasnt thinking about latest and greatest, im happy with the 16, just more of what to think about when looking at accessories, recalls, etc.

Im glad you mentioned the beak. The newer beaks are straighter/blockier looking and it looks much better in my opinion than the 2016 i have. I wonder if its swappable.

I also wonder if i missed out on that assist feature being a 2016. It wouldnt have had the recall.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #7 of 14 Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM
$tromtrooper

The 16 didn't come with assist, as even some of the 18's don't either.

I also wonder if i missed out on that assist feature being a 2016. It wouldnt have had the recall.[/QUOTE]

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Erock, when I got my '14 DL1K I probably stalled the bike 3 times the 1st week, and not once since. I attributed that to my unfamiliarity with a new machine, getting to learn how it acts to inputs. Since I had the ECU recall done you had to work hard to get it to stall, and it was smoother and more powerful throughoutt the rev range. As I posted above, the bike has somewhat of a low-assist feature already in the new programming. When I mentioned this to the Suzuki Service rep he told me that may have been one of the ways the replacement ECU was programmed along the lines of the '18 ECU.
No matter, the rpm raises just before take-off from a stop without me opening the throttle. If I dont have it, I'm sure not missing anything!
post #9 of 14 Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Erock, when I got my '14 DL1K I probably stalled the bike 3 times the 1st week, and not once since. I attributed that to my unfamiliarity with a new machine, getting to learn how it acts to inputs. Since I had the ECU recall done you had to work hard to get it to stall, and it was smoother and more powerful throughoutt the rev range. As I posted above, the bike has somewhat of a low-assist feature already in the new programming. When I mentioned this to the Suzuki Service rep he told me that may have been one of the ways the replacement ECU was programmed along the lines of the '18 ECU.
No matter, the rpm raises just before take-off from a stop without me opening the throttle. If I dont have it, I'm sure not missing anything!
I've had my Vee2 since before and after the ECU swap. The assist was added with the new ECU, you aren't missing anything even if you don't have it.

My car also has the same assist scheme and both the cage and the Vee2 only bump the rpm a tiny bit ... in no way adequate to affect much of anything. I presume, at least for the cage, it is more of a way to get a sliver more fuel economy by idling down. Which is to say that it likely isn't bumping up to anticipate you engaging the clutch, but more likely restoring what the idle should have been before shaving it down for emissions in the first place.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
I've had my Vee2 since before and after the ECU swap. The assist was added with the new ECU, you aren't missing anything even if you don't have it.

My car also has the same assist scheme and both the cage and the Vee2 only bump the rpm a tiny bit ... in no way adequate to affect much of anything. I presume, at least for the cage, it is more of a way to get a sliver more fuel economy by idling down. Which is to say that it likely isn't bumping up to anticipate you engaging the clutch, but more likely restoring what the idle should have been before shaving it down for emissions in the first place.
I probed the cage's behavior a little more last night. It only idles up when it is in gear and I take my foot off the brake. If the car is not in gear, it does nothing when taking my foot off the brake. So it seems it is actually idling up in anticipation of imminent movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode