Throttle Body Sync - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Throttle Body Sync

I have a 2014 1000 Strom, I was reading my service manual on Throttle Body Sync. It says you have to hook it to an SDS service tool. Does anyone know about these?? Is it possible to correctly sync without this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Its very easy to screw it up without it. Dont adjust the linkage rods at all. It seems proper sync is a bit of a mystery on the Vee2.

There is a service port by bat that you can jumper to put it into service mode to verify TPS position. Don't move TPS position, but you may be able to adjust throttle stop a tiny tiny bit to fudge it to the middle LCD segment. If you move the actual TPS on the throttle body, or get throttle stop too far out of sync, you need the tool to reteach. That is my understanding. Someone jump in if I have that wrong.

There are 3 LCD segments that will show up on spedo indicating position of TPS sync.

Best bet I believe is to put it in service mode, and only use air bleed (white plastic screws) to balance vacuum between the two cylinders with a proper liquid nanometer T'd into vac lines.

If you mess it up, there is no going back without the tool.

Mine was really close to start with, I barely moved anything, and I got lucky.

Dont get too anal about it if its running decent.

Good luck.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Berks, he is asking about synchronizing the two throttle bodies. I am not versed in what it takes but its not a topic that comes up here a lot for the V2 model.
TPS is the Trottle Position Sensor and it's worth checking that setting since apparently many come not set to specification from the factory.

Some interesting readings on these subjects:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...body-sync.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...ottle-off.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/5313715-post23.html

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 02-02-2019 at 11:37 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
All the local shop quoted me about the same price as the aftermarket HealTech "SDS", so I ordered the tool. Maybe someone near you has one you can borrow...

Here is some additional info, but relies on the tool.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...-isc-sync.html

I'd be willing to bet that you could balance the vacuum between the cylinders without the tool, but you won't be able to set them to the proper idle speed without locking out the ISC using the tool. It will keep trying to hunt and compensate for your adjustments.

There is a connector on the bottom of the secondary throttle plate sensor that will disable them. However, you may end up with the secondary plates out of position and may not like the end result.

The second step of the ISC sync is to reset the learned position of the secondary throttle plates. That also requires the tool.

At the bottom of the thread I mentioned there is info about the secondary throttle plates. When I first tried to measure the voltage when closed, I unplugged the wrong connector. After putting it all back together again, I noted an increase in engine vibes on the freeway that I had previously reduced. Could be a couple of things, but I suspect the secondary plates are out of position due to me unplugging the wrong connector and powering them up. Weather has been crappy here so I haven't gone back to reset them again or chase down other possible causes. Would be nice if it is the learned position since that is easy to fix with the tool.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Weather finally cleared up enough to ride some between the rain and snow storms. Although I got about 12 commutes in before finally remembering to reset the secondary throttle plates learned position... Also still had all the codes from turning on the ignition with everything unplugged.

After resetting the STP learned position it smoothed out again and idles better. I can't see any reason the reset would help balance the two cylinders but must be making the engine happier overall. Soars up to at least 6K before noticing any buzz in the footpegs again. Works out great for me since even the open western freeways with 80mph speed limits holds the rpm in the low 5K, moving the buzz above 6K should keep it nice and smooth (or at least smooth enough).
post #6 of 6 Old 05-11-2019, 04:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
On my previous Suzuki bikes the FSM has described putting the bike in dealer mode, apparently this disables the ISC and allows the balancing of the throttle bodies.

However I can't find any confirmation that this is the case with the Strom, anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode