Removing the Exhaust System - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By steve85248

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Removing the Exhaust System

My bike came w/ a Gianelli exhaust system, and while its pretty and sounds nice, it is an interference fit with a factory center stand and it looks like it will be a problem fitting a skid plate. Since I think the center stand is more important to me than a pretty exhaust system, I'm going to remove it and put the OEM one back on.

What major components do I have to remove in order to swap these ex systems? The manual wants me to remove the body panels and rear shock. Is it necessary to pull the shock absorber? How do I support the bike w/ no shock? Right now it is held upright by a rear stand that engages small aluminum spools on the rear wheel axle. It almost looks like removing the tank is necessary but the manual does not mention this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't have any experience with your after market exhaust, but with my Arrow racing collector (cat removed) and Mivv slip-on I did not remove the shock. If you need to, you can support the rear of the bike with chains or straps to an overhead joist or similar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seems I removed my shock when the bike was on the centerstand with no issues.
Ah, you seems to be centerstandless. Therein lies the problem. You need a sky hook.
I've hung bikes from the rafters of the garage before.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
A strong step ladder straddling the back of the bike using ratchet straps to lift and hold. I use a commercial AL folding step ladder rated at 300lbs.
notacop and Hatchi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode