In Praise of Crash Bars! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 01-03-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
In Praise of Crash Bars!

One of the first items I installed on my bike after I bought it was a set of SW Motech crash bars and I am really glad that I did!

On December 6 I was making a transition from one freeway to another on one of those ramps that forces you to cross traffic going from the second freeway to the first. As I was pulling out of the clover leaf a Toyota Corolla came up parallel to me and crossed into my lane from the left without looking and sideswiped my bike. The first thing that hit was my crash bars across their doors followed by my kick stand in the rear door, knuckle guard on the rear quarter panel and finally the left foot peg in their rear rim. The rim tore my peg right off! If you look at the photos attached you can actually see the outline of my peg inside the rim along with a rather brutalized valve stem. Looking at the damage pattern on the car it's pretty obvious that they were cutting in front of me and that I was upright until they pushed me over. Fortunately I have quite a bit of experience riding and was able to keep the bike up.

I am so glad that I installed the crash bars. They did all they were supposed to and even though they were bent, they saved the majority of my bike from being whacked and more importantly my leg from being crushed between the car and the bike. They also gave me enough time to lift my leg out of the way so that my foot was not take off along with the foot peg.

I wanted to mention that although I have heard a lot of concern about the two small screws connecting the two halves of the crash bars together, they held up without a problem.

Oh, and the other driver who told me that she didn't see me because she was texting at the time? She is now trying to claim that it was my fault! Unfortunately I didn't get the cameras on until AFTER the accident... Grrr.

Ride safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash Bars.jpg (98.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Peg and Stand.jpg (94.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2019 Corolla.jpg (100.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Rim.jpg (93.8 KB, 40 views)
Lrobby99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Looks like you were in her blind spot. However she would have been very visible to you so it seems unlikely you would have merged into her lane. What did the cops say?
V-Tom and chicago like this.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, glad you are ok!

post #4 of 31 Old 01-03-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the good thoughts. Looking at the photo it seems pretty obvious what happened and who was in whose blind spot, but there was no police report because just at the same time as she hit me there was a much more serious incident directly across the freeway. One car rear ended another and a third went up the embankment. The whole side of the freeway was shut down for a while and we were last on the priority list.

Besides the crash bars I'm really glad I had the center stand. I actually road it about 6 miles home after that. I had to tie the kick stand up with my work badge lanyard so that the engine cut of switch wouldn't be depressed and then had a fun time shifting without the peg.

Cheers.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

geezz
your lucky
go buy a lotto ticket
bikes can be fixed
post #6 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

That is going to be tough to prove unless you have a witness that saw the car change lanes. The car going straight does have the right of way when it comes to merging.

Luckily nobody was hurt, but she might make your insurance pay for her car damage, which looks expensive.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Does anyone have any real world experience on these sort of meeting accidents? It would seem to me that it is much more likely for a car to hit a bike, then for a bike to sideswipe a car. In whose favor do these things usually get resolved?
post #8 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisB View Post
On December 6 I was making a transition from one freeway to another on one of those ramps that forces you to cross traffic going from the second freeway to the first. As I was pulling out of the clover leaf a Toyota Corolla came up parallel to me and crossed into my lane from the left without looking and sideswiped my bike.
I'm glad you are okay! Generally bike and riders end up much worse in a collision with a car. You are very fortunate you and bike came out relatively unscathed!

I have my Ultralight Pilot license and used to always go through airplane crash and incident reports to learn what things could be done to avoid an incident. It was a great learning experience!

If you are in that position in the future is there anything you could do that would help you avoid a repeat?

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 02:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
What impresses me most is the not going down aspect.
Very fine riding control there.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The problem with this highway interchange is that both lanes have to cross over. One left to right (the other driver) and one right to left (me). I attached a diagram of what happened. The car was traveling west on 85 and was transitioning to south on 17. I was traveling north on 17 and transitioning to west on 85. In the image, I am the blue line and the car is the red line. The car changed lanes early across the solid white line and hit me at the red X. She pulled over at the place marked X1 and I pulled in behind her. She then started up and I thought it was going to be a hit and run but she stopped again at the spot marked X2 because, as she put it, "it was safer further from the curve."

The points on my side are that 1) I could see her while I was in the turn; 2) Unless she looked up the hill, she may not have seen me; 3) I was in a right hand curve and as you know, on a bike, you hug the inside corner; 4) By the the time I exit the corner and was beside the car, I was in their blind spot; 5) If I had crossed the line and hit them, not only would the damage pattern been different, but the car could not have pulled over so quickly.

It's frustrating to have to battle it out, but if it ever happens again (hope not!) I just installed the cameras from and back.

V-Tom: I also fly hang gliders and constantly check the accident reports for the very same reason. In this case, perhaps if I had watched the car and had been a little more proactive. They were passing me and I expected that they would cross lanes but didn't expect them to do it so soon. The fact that I was able to stay up I attribute to it being a glancing blow and that I have been riding for a long time. When I was hit, I wasn't thinking "I've been hit!" but rather "Stay up, stay up, STAY UP!"

Ride safe. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Diagram.jpg (463.6 KB, 37 views)
NeverSatisfied likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode