I can't find a heated grip installation thread - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I can't find a heated grip installation thread

I have found everything but an installation guide. Santa brought me Oxford heated grips and I already ordered the Eastern Beaver plug now all I need is some installation help. Where did you run the wires, any issues, will I need to file or grind anything, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
If I recall, the factory throttle tube has ridges and ribs on it and the OEM grip is molded into it. I had a G2 throttle tamer tube at the same time, so wasnt an issue with my heated grips. Take a look and be prepaired ahead of time.

I dont remember if I have oxfords or off brand, but I put my heat control on the left bar, and ran the wires down with the clutch line.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did the same with the G2, but if you go that route you will likely notice less heat in the throttle grip due to the aluminum tube acting as a heat sink...not a deal killer, but it's noticable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV

post #4 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ran the wires to the switched fuse block I mounted under the seat. The Oxford control will shut off if you forget to do it when you turn the bike off (if it was wired directly to the battery), but it will drain your battery a bit before it does that, I prefer to keep my battery charge as high as possible.

A fuse block is highly recommended for many other applications as well.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
post #6 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have done two installs of the Oxfords, one on my 2005 and then again when I got my 2017. Both went smoothly without any drama. I ran my power for the Oxfords straight back to the battery. (Fused of course!) This seems simple and it works just fine. It has never given me an issue in all these years.

As for putting on the grips:
They tell you to cut off the old ones. Well, I don't like cutting off grips....just a personal thing about cutting up or destroying any good part. What I do is take a love very thin screw driver and start working it up under the grip (from the "inside"....i.e. center of the bike working outward). If they don't just pop loose I give a little shot of WD40 up inside and work that around. The old grips almost jump off!

I clean up the area where the old glue was. I have not put glue on any of my new Oxfords while installing them. (and in twelve years none came loose, BTW). I get the bars perfectly clean and then I put some straight dish detergent on the inside of the new grip. Not too much, just a few drops smeared around evenly. (This is how we use to mount those stiff beaded tires on my old off road race bikes. The detergent makes the rubber slick but then it dries out and gets very sticky, like glue).
With a little detergent the grips will slide on with a little help. I use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer on the end, or just the heel of my hand, and pop them on. Once on I let them sit so the detergent can do its magic and turn into glue. OH, BTW, if you ever need to remove them.....just spray some water or Windex up in there and they will "release" and come off.

You need to put some thought into where you want the wires to the grips to be located once the grips are on. The right side needs to rotate so you have to make sure it has room to turn through its arc without hitting anything. The left side you have more space to work with as it doesn't move. As for the switch, I just use the mounting hardware that came with it. I removed one of bolts that hold the switch gear/mirror mount on and attached the mount there. Note that you might need to bend the bracket to suit your mounting point. Its easy, just clamp it in a vice and carefully reform it to make it fit where yo would like it.

'17 DL 650 Vstrom, Best value ride of all time. (replaced our '05 Wee)
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050 Feel the Power! Culled from the herd...gone but never forgotten.
BMW K1200 GT, Gone but never forgotten
KLR 650.....
BMW K100 RS, Beautiful German engineering
Husky 250WR, (1986) Last of the real Huskies made in Sweden
Bultaco's ...for those of you who remember....
A long list of so many others.....

Happiness is having a motorcycle with more power than you will ever need.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just finished the Oxford install. Took multiple ideas with where to mount the controller. I ended up heating it and bending the mount about 130deg from the direction it came bent. This allowed me to get it close enough for my thumb to hit it while on my grip. 2014 vee. Tucking all the wires away to allow for steering is a chore. I may cut them down to take some slack out as a future project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190111_150250_1547250514595.jpg (181.1 KB, 27 views)
post #8 of 20 Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve85248 View Post
Just finished the Oxford install. Took multiple ideas with where to mount the controller. I ended up heating it and bending the mount about 130deg from the direction it came bent. This allowed me to get it close enough for my thumb to hit it while on my grip. 2014 vee. Tucking all the wires away to allow for steering is a chore. I may cut them down to take some slack out as a future project.
Will be getting this done next weekend and thanks for the info.

2016 DL1000
post #9 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 05:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
I'm looking at installing a set of Oxford grips on 2018 DL1000XT, and I know there should be an accessory connector somewhere behind the radiator, and I'd like to use it.

I don't want to cut into the wiring harness, so I was hoping I could find a connector I could easily mate it with. I know that for the older Vees there was an OEM horn connector that could be used for this, does anyone know if there's a similar part for the 2017+ Vees?

If not, I'd have no issues crimping it myself, but could you please tell me what type of connector should I look for? I'd like to avoid stripping the bike twice (once for figuring out the connector type, second for actually installing it).

I'm not creating a new thread in the appropriate section since I'm hoping that the 2014-2016 bikes are the same as the newer ones in this respect but, if I'm proven wrong, I'll be happy to do so.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM
eff
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You can find an adapter here:
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/B...her.html#vshga

2007 V-Strom 650
2004 GasGas EC250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode