Smooth Running All the Way - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Smooth Running All the Way

I just turned 50k miles on my 2016 V2 and the bike is flawless! This is my second V2, having put 38k on my 2014 before upgrading to the 2016. I just liked the gray color and my accessories were easily swapped over to the new bike, so why not. I love this motorcycle! I have ridden my whole life and now at the age of 66yr young, I think I finally found the perfect ride.

I am no formally trained mechanic but I do my own maintenance, valve adjustments and tire swaps and this bike makes that pretty simple. My only nitpick is that I don't know how to lift this bike so I can change my fork oil. I don't own a fancy triple tree stand. How do you guys safely lift them high enough to do the forks?

Thanks for some enlightenment.
Big B, Willie, HokiesRWee and 3 others like this.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never
Ends" REK

IBA #23562
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

BT, 66 here myself, with my '14 DL1K. BEST bike I could have purchased.

IF you have a centerstand, set the stand and place a 1' section of 2" X 4" across the exhaust under the forward part of the engine and using a small floor jack, raise the front until the rear wheel is just above the floor. I did just that while I replaced my tires.
If no centerstand, the swingarm will accept 8mm spools for use with a swingarm stand. Then you can raise the front.
Rule of thumb--NEVER raise the front without raising the rear first.
Big B, bobbyvstrom, Gert and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
+1 what Maz4me said...

Two additional comments:

1) When I lift the front, I lift it just enough for the rear tire to touch the ground. This will add stability, but you must be very careful not to lift it too much as this will start to take weight off of the center stand. It happens VERY quickly once the rear wheel touches the ground. You may decide that the stability gained isn't worth the risk...

2) When I expect the front end to be disassembled for more than just a little while, I will add some ratchet straps from the crash bars to the hooks I screwed into the rafters. I do not recommend lifting the bike using the ratchet straps... I added them after the bike had already been lifted to help mitigate any bumps or hydraulic let down in the jack.
BigThump and hoggdoc like this.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I can't think of everything at the same time.

When you are doing work on your motorcycle and have the bike off the floor either both front and rear or just rear, do your final torquing--like axle nuts, brake calipers, triple clamp bolts, with the bike on the floor. Run your bolts and nuts down while off the floor 1st, then afterwards, finish up while off the stand(s) or jack. Even before raising the bike, I loosen the axle nuts 1st-less chance of.."an unfortunate event" happening.
Loosen the fork caps before loosening the upper triple clamp bolts. DONT loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts with the weight of the front on the floor.I loosen the fork caps, then loosen the upper clamp bolts. Off the floor, with wheel, brake caliper, and front fender removed, I then loosen the lower triple clamp and remove the fork I'm working on. I always do one at a time to keep the triple clamps aligned. I also measure fork protrusion at the upper triple clamp before removing a fork to rest it at installation. Install the fork, tighten the lower clamp, tighten the fork cap, then tighten the upper clamp bolt.
BigThump and hoggdoc like this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 12-06-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Great advice all! Thank you and now I will get these fork tubes cleaned up and add some fresh oil in them. I do have a center stand. I maintain another high mileage bike (100k) that my wife rides so it's always something to keep me busy. Thanks again!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never
Ends" REK

IBA #23562
post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

BT, since getting my Vstrom Ive used the centerstand. for most everything. But when it comes time for fork service, this will be my next purchase:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...headlift-stand
I already have the front fork lift and steering stem converter + 6 pins, and a ZRX-specific spool/swingarm stand plus 6 CBR 929 spacers for my motorcycles and all the bikes I service. But the front of the '14 DL1K is too tall for my present front-lift set up. This new stand is height-adjustable, and with the Pitbull Delrin 8mm spools, I'll have the Vstrom up on 2 stands instead of the center stand.
BT, no matter what you do or how you do it, your personal safety comes 1st.
2 months ago a friend of mine severely wrenched his back trying to prevent his new FJR1300 from falling away from him as he attempted to put the bike on its center stand. His back surgery is scheduled for later this month.
BigThump likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

does this have enough height to lift the front of the vstrom
post #8 of 14 Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

I spoke to Pitbull reps at the'17 Chicago bike show and they assured me this stand will work on my '14 Vstrom1000. They also confirmed that my present front stand--a Pitbull Frong Fork Stand and the Steering Stem Converter will not work on this bike.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have used a box of weights in the trunk on my '06 Vee to get the front just up off the ground or nearly so. It's very stable that way. I have about 30 pounds of assorted weights I used in RC Airplane weight-lifting contests. I may have to add a few pounds more but 50 ought to do it.
hoggdoc likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Or you can use the center stand and get a long length of tubing and a suction pump, hand held, and syphon the old fluid out and pour in the new.

"wrenched his back trying to prevent his new FJR1300 from falling away from him"

First time I tried to put the Wee on the center stand at a gas station I threw it over on the right side. How clever of me. It happened so fast I didn't attempt a recovery. But the bike is light enough it wasn't difficult to get back upright.

"I have used a box of weights in the trunk"

I used to have a few 15 pound lead bricks that I would put on the rear rack that was the ballast to raise the front end.
hoggdoc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode