StromTrooper banner

2014 Headlight

14K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  jinstall 
#1 ·
I'm tired of problems with my 2014 Suzuki v strom 1000 starter switches!does anyone do a relay kit for H7 bulbs. To take headlights off starter switch? Or diy?

#2 ·
Few problems have been reported with the 2nd gen 1000's concerning this, EasternBeaver doesn't even feel the need to make a relay kit for the new 650/1000. Might be worth sending Jim an email and see what he says? Hopefully somebody here can help you, are you sure it isn't just corrosion occurring in the switch assembly from water intrusion?

#4 · (Edited)
Took my beak off to install the Signal Dynamics modulator. All specs say the 2014 Vee is H7 bulb which is the harness I bought. Found out I have H9 and it won't fit. Am I missing something? The really odd part is the shop manual states my low is an H9 and high is H7. The pic below is of my high beam light.....

Attachments

#5 ·
Yes, H9 and H7. They make an adapter that runs to pigtails and you can buy replacement H9 and H7 sockets on Amazon . When I install my Signal Dynamics in my Mexico bike in a few weeks, I'm going to splice the output of the SD to the new sockets and then plug the new sockets into the headlights From what I've seen online, I'm using ceramic sockets because the plastic ones have been known to melt.

To be really clear: I haven't done this yet myself but I will be soon.

On my US bike, a 2018, I bought the same harness you did. I wound up cutting, splicing, and soldering to get it in.

Vinnie

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#6 ·
So the high is an H9 and the low is an H7. The shop manual for our bike is incorrect it has it backwards. I wonder what else I'll find incorrect in the manual.... Also, if the SD harness goes inline, I don't understand why it has 4 female and two male connections. Seems to have an extra high and low female but I have to dig more into the diagram today.

#11 ·
Confirming shop manual error

I just installed my Signal Dynamics on my 2014 1K today. I can confirm that the shop manual is wrong -- it has the H7 and H9 bulbs reversed.

Also, since I pulled the nose to do this (I uninstalled an LED low beam lamp the PO had installed because the light emitter was cocked 45 degrees and doing that was a lot easier on the bench), I wanted to check the lights' aim. The low beam was a tad high but turning on the vertical adjust screw seemed to have no affect. Anyone else had to deal with this?

Thanks,

Vinnie

#12 ·
Since EB does not offer the relay kit I made my own for the H9 high beam, with some fighting since the H9 pigtail I bought did not fit without modification. However high beam is off most of the time, so this relay has little practical effect other than maybe a brighter light.

The low beam H7 is more of a problem since it is connected inside the closed low beam housing and the power is routed outside and to an obscure connector I have been unable to find. Have since given up on searching for it.
It is a 2 pole connector, sealed, with the number 11156 on one side. If anybody knows wo make these connectors or where to get them, I like one please.

Attachments

#15 ·
Since EB does not offer the relay kit I made my own for the H9 high beam, with some fighting since the H9 pigtail I bought did not fit without modification. However high beam is off most of the time, so this relay has little practical effect other than maybe a brighter light.

The low beam H7 is more of a problem since it is connected inside the closed low beam housing and the power is routed outside and to an obscure connector I have been unable to find. Have since given up on searching for it.

It is a 2 pole connector, sealed, with the number 11156 on one side. If anybody knows wo make these connectors or where to get them, I like one please.
Check with cycleterminal.com He is very knowledgeable and has tons of connectors. Also Tripage LED or TST Industries might help.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Installing LED headlamps is not legal with a modulator in the US. Reason is we can only modulate from a 30% to 100% brightness. When you use LED the lamp turns off resulting in 0% to 100%. SD engineers are working on an LED modulator that will allow for a 30% on the low end.

#14 ·
This is my V2 headlight story.

I purchased my V2 used and noticed the PO had a headlight globe fitted by his local dealer.

After a few weeks of ownership I lost my low beam, I thought back to his globe change and thought I found the reason he had sold the bike it must have ongoing low beam problems.

When I opened things up to change the globe the plug on the back of the globe had melted, things had obviously gotten hot.

Having a good look I found the brass female spade fittings had no tension, they were soft.

I determined when the original globe was changed they had wobbled the plug enough to spread the contact points, this caused heat and that heat in turn soften the fittings causing more heat and melting the plug.

I did not change the globe but I did replace the spade fittings and all has been good since.

#17 · (Edited)
FWIW I have replaced low-beam bulbs twice on my 2015 DL1000. The bike currently has just short of 159,500 km / 99,090+ miles.

On my 2006 DL650 until I parted with it with over 202,000 km/ almost 126,000 miles I never replaced a single headlight bulb.

On my 2012 DL650 that I sold with over 139,500 km/ 86,700+ miles I never replaced a headlight bulb.

On the 2006 DL650 I had to take apart and clean the starter switch assembly, I think somewhere around 160,000 km/100,000 miles (but don't remember the mileage for sure.)

None of these Stroms ever had a relay kit for the headlights so I guess I am just lucky.

..Tom

#27 ·
FWIW I have replaced low-beam bulbs twice on my 2015 DL1000. The bike currently has just short of 159,500 km / 99,090+ miles.

On my 2006 DL650 until I parted with it with over 202,000 km/ almost 126,000 miles I never replaced a single headlight bulb.

Replaced another Low beam this Past Weds night. Bike mileage 164,075km/101,951 miles. Looks like only 5,000 km / 3,000 miles since it was last replaced. :( The packe said it had a one year warranty on it (two pack, i think Sylvania. I'm at work so could be wrong.)

Are there any truly plug and play LED replacements for the H7? Are there any "hard duty" H7 halogens?

..Tom

#23 ·
Once I finally got my hands on the wiring diagram I saw there is a 4way connecter in the bundle feeding the faring for both headlights. (one of the 3 covered by the black plastic water shield)
Lg is position light, Y Hi beam, B/bl low beam, and B/W ground. This one is proving harder to source and until I find a modulator that works with my LED this project is on hold

#26 ·
To confirm, I got from CycleTerminal (see previous post):

Motorcycle MT .090 Sealed Series - Connector and Terminals
2 pin MT .090 - 2.3mm Female locking connector - with Terminals and seals
Terminals Fit wire size .5 - 1.3 mm (16-22 AWG) Sumitomo p/n: 6189-0031
Female MT090-2L $2.99 each
2 pin MT .090 - 2.3mm Male locking connector - with Terminals and seals
Terminals Fit wire size .5 - 1.3 mm (16-22 AWG) Sumitomo p/n: 6180-2405
Male MT090-2L $2.95 each

You need to get the blue ones, not the brown. They are a perfect fit.

#29 ·
I purchased my 14 used and the original owner had paid the have the low beam globe replaced, after I purchased the bike the low beam stopped again, I replaced the globe and all was good for a few weeks then the low beam stopped again.

This time I investigated further and found the female positive terminal was stretched and had gotten hot because of the loose connection this made the terminal soft and it lost spring tension it once had.

I tested the first globe I replaced and found it to be working fine so all my problems were caused by the fitting being stretched when the OEM globe was replaced.

I replaced the terminal and have never had another problem.

#33 ·
Hey @V-Tom, did you ever have any luck with these (or any other) H7 LED bulbs?

I just installed a set of LED aux lights and the difference between the very yellow stock headlight blub and the new, very white, LEDs (between 5800K - 6000K) bothers me from an aesthetic perspective. Am considering the Phillips "CrystalVision" (listed as 5000K) which is one of the closest direct replacement (H7 Halogen) I've been able to find.

#34 ·
I've been using them and I think they are okay. Not blown away but I suspect they will be much more durable than any halogen bulbs which was my main reason for switching.

On the other hand I also got some H9 led's and they are extremely powerful.

..Tom

#35 · (Edited)
After many LED bulbs and poor road pattern, I've ended up with zDatt H7 and H9. Great bulbs and perfect light pattern.
zDatt has many models of LED upgrades. I've tried few of them but didn't like them. Then I got a tip on the spanish forum about exact model for our bikes and couldn't be happier ever since:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zdatt-Super-Bright-Car-Headlights-H7-LED-H4-HB2-9003-H8-H9-H11-HB3-9005-H1/32818933633.html
That is for H7. H9 has to have that same curvy look arround the led.
They've never blown up, since I got them 3 years ago. Installed H7 inside the housing with fan inside but the driver outside the dust cap. Just made a little slot on the side of the cap for the cable and then insulated the hole with bubble gum. Didn't care about dust cap. They are cheap at the dealer.
H9 is straight fit as it doesn't use dust cap.

#36 ·
I took your advice and bought these and so far they seem great. Descent pattern and more visible to oncoming traffic.
I made a 1 1/8" hole in the cap for cooling and the slot for the wires. Just hoping that no water enters the housing.
Stock bulb went at 23K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.