Vee2 hard start and then disaster, oil leak - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Vee2 hard start and then disaster, oil leak

Hey guys,
I have just had a most horrendous experience today with the Vee. I went to start the bike up after it sat in a freezing shop this morning and it was hard to start and sounded as if it wanted to come apart., apparently, it did. I thought it was just cold but it has never sounded like this in all the years that I have been ridding it. I got it running by holding the throttle at about 2K RPM's and watched as it warmed up but rattled. After it would run at idle I started looking the bike over and noticed a puddle of oil under the bike on the left side bellow the front sprocket so I immediately shut it off. A few words of background. It is a 2014 that I have owned new since the end of 2015 and I have put every single one of it's 39K miles on it as a daily ride even in the winter. I just recently did an oil change with Lucas synthetic oil that I have been using since after the break in period oil changes performed by the dealership. I also swapped the chain but did nothing to the front or rear sprockets because they were in good nick. This probably has nothing to do with this issue but I also changed out the original battery with a Shorai LiFe battery and it ran better. The bike did fine this morning at 1:30 when I left work. I let it idle as I took off my gear when I arrived home and then I hooked it up to the Shorai tender, I didn't see any leaking then. I have done a search for this problem afterwards but to no avail, granted, it wasn't a comprehensive search.

So now, here I am asking if anyone has had, or heard of this happening?

Last edited by guitstik; 11-26-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Any oil left in the engine?
post #3 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Yes there is. It wasn't a huge catastrophic hemorrhaging of oil but enough to cause concern because it wasn't coming from the usual suspects.

post #4 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I had to ask about the oil. But I'd rather have a rattle than a knock. A rattle when cold Ive heard in bikes with cam chain tensioner issues, some wouldnt idle well at all until the tensioner foot extended. As in retarded cam timing.
But you wont know for sure until you verify the exact issue.
post #5 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

A little bit of oil can look like a LOT on the ground!

Clutch pushrod seal and the countershaft seal are the two areas where you describe that are common leaks. But these should have nothing to do with how poorly it was running?
V-Tom, Toshbar and Hatchi like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 04:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Look at your clutch fluid reservoir. Is the level down?
Perhaps that was not oil you noticed "under the bike on the left side bellow the front sprocket" but, rather, hydraulic fluid. The slave might be leaking.

Or maybe all that rattling and the hard start was related to an unsuitable oil viscosity for the cold temperatures and your clutch plates were stuck. You noted you used synthetic, but not what viscosity...

One thing I'm not clear on: Have you ridden it since and it was okay? Or is it still parked?
V-Tom and richlandrick like this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #7 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
I had to ask about the oil. But I'd rather have a rattle than a knock. A rattle when cold Ive heard in bikes with cam chain tensioner issues, some wouldnt idle well at all until the tensioner foot extended. As in retarded cam timing.
But you wont know for sure until you verify the exact issue.
Yep, you have to ask to make an informed guess. The oil level is just bellow full line but oil puddle was about the size of a silver dollar pancake. That's kind of what I thought thus continuing to try and start it. It almost sounded as if it had jumped time somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
A little bit of oil can look like a LOT on the ground!

Clutch pushrod seal and the countershaft seal are the two areas where you describe that are common leaks. But these should have nothing to do with how poorly it was running?
More than a dime sized drop is too much in my opinion LOL. I just pulled the fuel tank off and checked the air filter box for a flooding of oil but it was just a light coating of oil and the air filter looks dry as well. I was thinking that I may have over filled it but that doesn't appear to be the case because the one spark plug I pulled out is dry and ashy looking, it is time to change them tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Look at your clutch fluid reservoir. Is the level down?
Perhaps that was not oil you noticed "under the bike on the left side bellow the front sprocket" but, rather, hydraulic fluid. The slave might be leaking.

Or maybe all that rattling and the hard start was related to an unsuitable oil viscosity for the cold temperatures and your clutch plates were stuck. You noted you used synthetic, but not what viscosity...

One thing I'm not clear on: Have you ridden it since and it was okay? Or is it still parked?
Sorry about that, Lucas only makes synthetic motorcycle engine oil in 20W50. It really wasn't all that cold this morning, for most of the ride it was 40*F and only got down to 38*F when I got closer to the house, we live in the country. I have ridden the bike when temps were mid 20's with this oil and no problems. The bike is still parked and I have been trying to diagnose the problem. I checked the air filter box for oil and pulled a spark plug to see if it was fouled. The first thing I checked was what the fluid was and it is oil, but good call.
post #8 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Could you have tightened the chain too much when you installed the new one? Check to make sure you have an inch and half of movement on chain when it is on side stand. Loosen if needed.

Pull the front cover off, clean it out in there, then start the bike and see if you can determine where the oil is coming from. Dot4 fluid is clear or slightly yellow, and oil goes dark faster, they smell different as well.

That rough start though, that has me puzzled, maybe there are two separate issues going on and they just both happened at the same time. When it starts can you tell if both cylinders are firing?
post #9 of 81 Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lucas does make a synth 10w30, #10708. Also a 5w30 #10706. Might be better for near freezing temps.
https://lucasoil.com/products/motorc...otorcycle-oils
Brockie, Toshbar and guitstik like this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T

Last edited by BC Rider; 11-26-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #10 of 81 Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
Could you have tightened the chain too much when you installed the new one? Check to make sure you have an inch and half of movement on chain when it is on side stand. Loosen if needed.

Pull the front cover off, clean it out in there, then start the bike and see if you can determine where the oil is coming from. Dot4 fluid is clear or slightly yellow, and oil goes dark faster, they smell different as well.

That rough start though, that has me puzzled, maybe there are two separate issues going on and they just both happened at the same time. When it starts can you tell if both cylinders are firing?
One thing that I stress over is that chain tension. This is my first chain drive that I have ridden in 30 years so I am constantly checking and setting it as I go. When you say "front cover", what exactly do you mean? I think I have the hard start figured out but not the oil leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rider View Post
Lucas does make a synth 10w30, #10708. Also a 5w30 #10706. Might be better for near freezing temps.
https://lucasoil.com/products/motorc...otorcycle-oils
Let me rephrase that, the only Lucas oil that AutoZone carries is the 20W50 and they only stock it two bottles at a time so I have to chase around to different stores to get three bottles. I am leaning to the viscosity being to heavy tho. I usually change my oil once a year and that being in the midst of the summer months (usually about 6K miles) but I waited to long and just now changed it. The viscosity hasn't had a chance to break down as it were and is to thick for the bike to turn over. I am going to drain it and fill it with a lower viscosity oil and see if that helps any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode