DL650 rims on DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 2 Post By PeteW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

DL650 rims on DL1000

Gday all,

first few rides in the Western Australian Bush, and the Vee is performing pretty damn well (although that ground clearance needs to be looked at)
I still don't understand though how Suzuki can say the DL1000 is and Adventure bike, yet not cater for knobbies! I had to make some risers to lift the front fender after putting the new boots on. (see pictures below, I had half a mm clearance at first!)

I have a question about Spoked Rims. I have found DL650 spoked rims, and dimensions seem to match exactly our DL1000.

is all the rolling gear similar as well? or will I need to put some spacers and make other adjustments to make the wheel fit on the thou?

Cheers

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL1000 mud tyres.jpg (126.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DL1000 Avon Valley ride.jpg (111.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Sappers road DL1000.jpg (231.5 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Ed, Suzuki( at least here in the US )never promoted the '14+ DL1000 as a true adventure bike. It was more of an ADV-STYLED bike, and they referrred to it as a sport-tourer. Which is what I use mine for.
As for wheel fitment, find a website like MR Cycle.com, use their microfiche parts catalog between the 1000 and the 650 and see what parts are common between the 2.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sport-tourer in Canada too.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick123 View Post
Sport-tourer in Canada too.

The Suzukimotorcycles Australian website markets it for adventure (can't yet post a link, but it is pretty easy to find)

Quite a few items "kitted for adventure" in the model description,
Check the gallery, first in there is a "cairns adventure" - north east of Australia and you can see them crossing rivers and riding on pea gravel roads.
Fair enough, they do show it on the Battle wings (or other 90/10), but still.. they are taking it on dirt on the Australia Suzuki website.

It's a bit of a shame to market it only for sport touring as she is more than capable to go on single tracks in the bush, with minimal prep. I just wish they would make the bike a tiny bit more "offroady" adventure ready, eg: Disconnecting the ABS without having to do the centerstand trick, front fender high enough to allow for 50/50 tyres, an a bit better ground clearance.
PS: even the factory centerstand barely works with 50/50, if the ground isn't flat, the rear sists on the floor.

THanks for the MRcycles tip, silly lazy me didn't think of checking that.

Ta

Ed
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2018, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Although marketed here as an "adventure bike" the reality is that its weight is a big handicap compared to a true dual sport. The advantage is, of course, that you can load it up with panniers etc for longer and more comfortable rides.

Many people find the V-Strom to be a comfortable tourer that can handle the occasional road works etc without causing alarm. Sure, you can modify them to be far more capable when the seal ends, but mud or loose sand soon shows up the limitations of all that weight.

Fit some 50/50 tyres for dirt roads and tracks and go for it.
Most people prefer the alloy wheels for ease of fixing a flat beside the road and you are unlikely to damage a rim in rocky areas so long as you keep the pressures up.
Edouard Feltesse likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Fit some 50/50 tyres for dirt roads and tracks and go for it.
Most people prefer the alloy wheels for ease of fixing a flat beside the road and you are unlikely to damage a rim in rocky areas so long as you keep the pressures up.
That is what I did, I have Shinkos 805 and 804 which were great in the deep pea gravel that we get in WA (Tyres down to 26PSI)
It is always a compromise when pumping up and down the tyres, different pressure to achieve different results :/

I will use alloy wheels when I do my trip around Australia, but for the bush trails until then, I'd like to put on some spoked rims.

MRcycle doesn't really help in terms of compatibility as they show different part numbers, so has anyone attempted the conversion ?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2018, 03:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Front axle is larger on the 1000 than the 650.

My experience was that the 650 was a better dirt bike than the 1000 unless you were tall strong and skilled. The 650 has enough that keeping up with KTM's and BMW's wasn't usually an issue. The reason was that the extra power they had went into rearranging the scenery, all my power went into acceleration - very equalizing that. There were a few places I was slower due to clearance issues, but again I just slowed down and I didn't end up with dinged rims.

Stock the 1000 is pretty good on dirt, actually feels nicer than the 650 up until - and then the extra weight kicks in.

So, IMHO the 1000 is an O.K. dirt road bike but if clearance is an issue you probably need to slow down.
Spec and Gert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode