2014 Left Over - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2014 Left Over

Hello all, 1st post on the forum, 1st time I let out a clutch was in Aug / 2017 at my safety course, the passion awoke. My 1st new bike was a 2017 KLR-650 that is my daily driver, in the last 11 months I've put on 12k miles. I'm 6'5" and ready to get a 1000 as the KLR is a little under powered for me. At a local dealer they have a brand new 2014 left over Adventure edition for $8999 and I know very little about the Vstrom's and asking if there's anything to look out for with this age of bike and it being brand new?? Newbie question, still searching forum for additional answers.. Thanks very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. I have only been here since April but love my 2017 DL650, also a leftover. The fair price for V-Stroms depends somewhat on location. Up here in the North-East I would say offer two grand less than asking and not a penny more. But only if you really like the bike. 2014, hard to believe a dealer having it sit there for 4-5 years? The tires would almost be considered old at this point but if you ride it as much as you did the KLR then they wonít be long for this world anyway. Another issue might be the battery, did they charge it every once in a while or slowly run it down over time? If the latter it might be time for a new one pretty soon. How was it stored? Frequent temperature fluctuations could cause condensation in the crank case, the gas tank, causing internal rust and contaminate the engine oil with water droplets. So if it was stored on the showroom floor thatís much better than an unheated storage building that may be hot and humid during the day and cold at night. I donít know your climate. This sounds like I am trying to talk you out of it but the engine is likely just fine and batteries are not expensive, so these are just some variables I would weigh in my decision. Curious what others will say.
post #3 of 35 Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seems like 9000 is high for it. I'd offer 8250 and see what they say. They may be hanging on to it for a very long time.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT

post #4 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 AM
$tromtrooper

Fill out your profile so folks know where you are. Stockholm is not the same market as Saskatoon.

Given that you are speaking in "miles" and dollars that don't make sense to me, I'm guessing you live in Trumpland. But that's just a guess. I could be wrong. My father still thinks in miles even though he lives in metric land.

Bike markets vary widely by region. Anyone who has not FILLED OUT THEIR PROFILE should do so. That helps the rest of us help you.

At your height (I can speak feet and inches), I think you might like the ergonomics.
Toshbar likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17

Last edited by larolco; 11-17-2018 at 12:52 AM.
post #5 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Bill, I bought my new/leftover '14 DL1000 Jan '17 for $6799 from a dealer here in St. Charles, Missouri.
The Adventurer model came with the hand guards, lower cowl, side cases, and a different windscreen than the standard DL1000ABS, which is what I have. In my case, they left the side cases they had installed for display on the bike and forgot to charge me for them.
The ABS models(ALL '14 1000s came with ABS) were either Desert Khaki or red, the adventurer models were Black.
To mine I added the lower cowl, handguards, ADV windscreen(later changed to the '18 1000 screen). But even with what I added my cost wasnt even close to the $9K asking price you mentioned. A week after I bought mine I saw a '14 ABS model like mine, Khaki,at the Chicago International Motorcycle show for $7500.
In my opinion, it's a wonderful motorcycle for my purposes--sport-touring, commuting, multi-state road trips, but unless you simply had to have it, $9K is too high a price for that one. I'd work on them to lower the price, or walk away.
But that's just my opinion as an owner. The other side of the coin is that it's a lot of bike for the money for a new bike with a warranty, and what else can you get for the same asking price new? YOUR call.
Big B likes this.
post #6 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

And while we're comparing notes, I bought my new 2018 DL1K last April from Sportscycles in Rockimgham., NC for $10,000 OTD , with no dealer add on fees. I handled my own title and insurance since I was out of state. Getting it trucked from Rockingha!m to Ann Arbor was about another500 bucks. My guess is you can do better if you want to work at it.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Tell them you'll pay $7k for this soon to be 5 year old bike, and you'll take that deal only if they don't fee you to death. Anything else is too much for that bike, imo anyway...

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #8 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 AM
$tromtrooper

They should be wanting to get rid of a four year old bike especially with winter coming on, talk them down. The only issue I know of with the 14s is some have idle hammer which is really no biggie.

post #9 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Got my leftover '14 in June '17. Lovin' it! Paid $8000 OTD. I agree, $7000 for the '14 leftover in question. Besides maintenance already noted, Brake and clutch fluid should be replaced every two years whether you use the bike or not. I'd want those fluids replaced. I hope you get this bike for the $7000. You'll love it and not look back!!
Ride safe all.
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #10 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Most of the extras on the "adventure" model need to be replaced if you want to do real adventures with it. A plastic engine guard, plastic hand guards and tiny side bags. I would not pay extra for those, but you may be able to get $200 for them in resale later, some people prefer small side bags.

I bought my 2014 in 2015 for just over $8k USD, but it was not the adventure model.

As mentioned, all the fluids need to be replaced, and the tires are getting up there in age too, but should get you by for a year or two. I go through a set every year.

Be sure all the recalls have been done (wiring harness updates and rerouting, and the ECM replacement). If the tail hand rails are a flat silver color, they also need to be swapped out as the paint scrapes off easily, the updated rails are same color but have a shiny varnish top coat.
Toshbar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode