Good bye Vstrom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Good bye Vstrom

Well I've been threating for a while, Dealer Support for Suzuki is awful in my area, was a real pain in the a$$ for me even to get OEM oil filters, and a 380km ride for any Suzuki specific service, so its gone, Traded it For a 2018 Super Tenere es. Yamaha has a dealer in my area that great and have stock and tools to work on the bike should it need it.
I have Moose expedition Pannier Racks that will take TUSK, MOOSE, Happy Trails and other Pannier that I removed from the bike, as well as a few bits and pieces I will Post for sale soon. The MRI Air flow windscreen will be for sale as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_2209416.jpg (359.9 KB, 57 views)

Super Tenere XT1200es
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-11-2018, 06:33 PM
$tromtrooper

I understand, no mc dealers of any kind near me. the zuki dealer I use is in Reno, 200 miles away for me. Other than a valve check adjust every 15k I have had no need to visit, exception being 2 recalls that needed to be signed off by dealer and included my 30k valve check.

I love the Maritimes, was just talking with a friend in East Point this am. looking forward to a visit and some lobster.

14 tooth for me
post #3 of 28 Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Good bye Vstrom

I understand if you donít do your own work. Iím lucky to have a local guy help me with my valve adjustment because our local dealer charges a lot of money for that service. But oil filters can be had online or at an auto parts store. Like the Wix 51359 for the Strom. Good luck with your Yamaha I hear good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mulewright likes this.

2014 650 Strom

post #4 of 28 Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

It's unfortunate that both motorcycle dealers and manufacturers havent adopted the concept of "Good Service Sells Cars". Infact, it's a known saying in the dealer automotive service sector: "The salesperson will sell you the 1st vehicle, the service department will sell you the ones that follow."
As long as-- and I really hate to say it this way--Japanese motorcycles are thought of as toys, it will always be this way. Visits to my local Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and yes, H-D dealers show the opposite attitude, that their bike are the customer's main means of transportation, not a toy, and step up their customer service. Not all are excellent, any more than not all Japanese motorcycle dealers are lacking in this department, but Ive seen trends over the years.
Then too many motorcycle sales are seasonal, they dont pay their techs well, and can't hang on to the good ones.
Another reason to learn your motorcycle and do as much as you can by yourself. Smaller shops can't possibly stock everything for every vehicle in the manufacturer's line-up, even worse with a multi-line dealership. Hence, we buy parts online, and the dealer's then carp about low profits and lost sales because people buy online. Vicious cycle.

Good luck with the new Super Tenere'. On the bright side, somebody is going to get a great used bike.
Big B, VSrider, RCinNC and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd like to say you won't be disappointed; I know I haven't been. I traded my 2012 DL650 for a 2014 Super 10, and 54,000 miles later, I still love the bike. The only part that's failed so far is a headlight bulb. The only thing it's been to the shop for in the past four years is the valve check. I'd buy the same bike again without hesitation.
Big B likes this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #6 of 28 Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Super Ten is a good bike and indeed I would have considered one at one time, but nowadays its weight would be too much for me to manhandle. The Strom will probably be my last big bike (1000CC+) but I expect to have it for a very long time. Its replacement though will be lighter again.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #7 of 28 Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
It's unfortunate that both motorcycle dealers and manufacturers havent adopted the concept of "Good Service Sells Cars". Infact, it's a known saying in the dealer automotive service sector: "The salesperson will sell you the 1st vehicle, the service department will sell you the ones that follow."
As long as-- and I really hate to say it this way--Japanese motorcycles are thought of as toys, it will always be this way. Visits to my local Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and yes, H-D dealers show the opposite attitude, that their bike are the customer's main means of transportation, not a toy, and step up their customer service. Not all are excellent, any more than not all Japanese motorcycle dealers are lacking in this department, but Ive seen trends over the years.
Then too many motorcycle sales are seasonal, they dont pay their techs well, and can't hang on to the good ones.
Another reason to learn your motorcycle and do as much as you can by yourself. Smaller shops can't possibly stock everything for every vehicle in the manufacturer's line-up, even worse with a multi-line dealership. Hence, we buy parts online, and the dealer's then carp about low profits and lost sales because people buy online. Vicious cycle.

Good luck with the new Super Tenere'. On the bright side, somebody is going to get a great used bike.
The folks I know that use motorcycles as their main means of transportation do all their own work/maintenance. In october my buddy had already surpassed 50,000 miles this year on BMW's alone. Had he relied on a dealer to perform the services he'd have been in there at least 15 times in one year for oil changes and new tires not to mention any major services. This would be extremely cost prohibitive no matter what brand of motorcycle.
Mulewright and Toshbar like this.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

It's not so much the motorcycle owners as it is how the dealers operate and their attitude. Yes, more motorcycle owners service their own bikes as opposed to car owners. And there are some motorcycle owners that rely exclusively on dealers for service.
My point is that in general, motorcycle dealerships, Japanese-branded dealerships in particular, do not use service as a sales tool, and do not promote or otherwise advertise service.
I cant remember ever seeing either on TV or in print advertised specials for tire sales, lube specials, brake specials, "get ready for riding season specials" when it comes to motorcycles.
Having a service department is a requirement by the manufacturer in order to sell their product. How much of a stretch would it be for them to step up their game and use service to their advantage as a profit generator and sales tool?
Coach23101 likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Service for any brand is a challenge my neck of the woods...

I bought my L1 Wee from a local dealer going out of business in 2012. When I went to the two other dealers in nearby towns (6 miles and 30 miles away)to talk to their service dept's neither even knew what shim under bucket valve actuation was! I knew I was in trouble if I didn't get a service manual and bone up on the workings of my bike. So far so good but nothing major has needed work and since my ride is parked for six months of the year while I shovel snow I don't get the miles that some of you do. Kinda looking for a used DR650 as an even simpler machine for my next and possibly final ride. Time marches on.....

Sp56
post #10 of 28 Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw56 View Post
Kinda looking for a used DR650 as an even simpler machine for my next and possibly final ride. Time marches on.....

Sp56
when I bought my first strom in '09 my DR 650 was neglected for years but I have put a few miles on it recently and it is still a favourite. same iteration since '96, lots of aftermarket stuff+support. Mine has 55k on OD, has had a new stator is all. no other issues. a fine only bike.

14 tooth for me

Last edited by chicago; 11-12-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: '96 not '06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode