Winter care - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Winter care

So I live in NYC I and ride year round, if it's above freezing. Sadly I used to have a garage at work to keep in our if the elements, but no longer have that job. Any extra maintenance to do if I am leaving her outside in the cold all year. I will pay for a garage once snow starts and salt comes, but barring that she is outside. Like normally I use a Dupont wax lube on the chain would it make sense to switch to a thicker oil based lube? Should I cover? Normally I leave naked all summer regardless of weather, but she's ridden 5 days a week vs now prob 1-2x a week. Even motorcycle storage in NYC would cost about 150 a month....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
As long as you wash any salt off quickly you should be fine. I'd stick with a wax based lube but the most important thing is to lube it after exposure to moisture.

Before winter, I would take the opportunity to grease anything that moves - in particular brake slide pins (with real brake grease) and the controls / linkages. As well as clean any electrical connections before the bad weather sets in. Any switches, molex connectors that could take on brine.

You could use an anti-corrosive like ACF50 as well on exposed vulnerable surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode