Bent Handlebars... OE or Aftermarket - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MeefZah
  • 1 Post By MeefZah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bent Handlebars... OE or Aftermarket

Hello all!
I was on a trip last month and had a stupid tip over on a soft shoulder. The fall itself was nothing, but it was a royal pain to lift back up because the sandy shoulder didn't want to support the front tire. One of my attempts to get it up included trying to rotate the bike so that the front tire could land on the pavement instead, but I stopped when I realized I was moving the handlebar but not the bike :O

It's not a horrible bend, but it's something I'd like to correct over the off season.

My question is that I've already got Barkbusters installed to the OE bars, will it be problematic trying to get them installed to aftermarket bars (Renthal/Pro-Taper etc...) Or would it be easier/cheaper to just get an OE bar? I'm not very happy with the sweep angle of the OE bar and given how easily it bent I'd be interested in a stronger design, but if it means buying new Barkbusters, throttle tubes, grips etc... I'd be fine with sticking to the original.

Thanks!
-Dan

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd get some aluminum bars in the bend of your choice - the Pro Taper SE in ATV Mid bend are super popular here. The BB will work just fine on them BUT you will need to get new end hardware (about $12) because the aluminum bars have a thicker wall and less internal space than the OEM steel bars. Throttle and grip will transfer no problem and if the clutch side grip won't come off Oxford sells them separately for $20 so you can just buy a new one.

Edit, this post sorta explains why you need new end hardware, only going the opposite way - from aluminum bar mounts to steel bar mounts. The Tusk hardware is a good cheaper alternative and will work fine with the BB stuff:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/5246193-post2.html
Jeepster09 likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/

Last edited by MeefZah; 09-27-2018 at 07:20 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with MeefZah. I put the pro tapers on for the strength and the better angles are a plus. I also added short adjustable levers to protect them from damage on a fall over.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you go with the protapers you will need the inner clamps that are tapered for the Barkbusters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman2016 View Post
If you go with the protapers you will need the inner clamps that are tapered for the Barkbusters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not if he stays with 7/8" bars (Pro Taper SE). His existing inner clamps will work. The SE models are Seven Eighths.

Pro Taper SE ATV Mid with BB on my 2011 DL650:

Jeepster09 likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/

Last edited by MeefZah; 09-29-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I also used the pro taper bark busters and eliminated the weights. No issues with vibrations for me. No special clamps needed.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be doing some measuring of the stock dimensions (on the not-bent side of course) to see what the difference would be. I also will check around if there's anyone in my area with different bars I could try out. Sounds like it will be a good winter project

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 10:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seems like a great excuse to upgrade since the oem bends are not optimal. Get the same diameter and I see no reason why all the existing accessories will not work. Given oem pricing, a new style bar might even be a little cheaper too
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2018, 01:06 PM
$tromtrooper

I replaced my OE bars with HoleShots comfort bar a few years ago and still like them.
Had to ream the ends a bit to get the weights in. You can take a look at them here

http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/dl/10...t-comfort-bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode