Mounting K2 cameras - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 132 Old 09-10-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Mounting K2 cameras

I just purchased an Innovv K2 camera system and am looking for the best spots to mount the cameras. I was thinking about mounting the front camera just below the tip of the beak and the rear camera to the top of the License Light enclosure. I am concerned that these spots might have too much vibration. Does anyone have any experience with cameras located in either one of these spots?

The K2 cameras are 120° viewing angle and I although I have thought about other locations (crash bars, Tail Frame, etc.) they all seem like they would block large portions of the image.

I would really like to here you opinions.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Vibration is a real problem, as are bugs and dirt.

The center rear of the bike gets horribly dirty really fast as you can see from looking at your license plate, not a great place for a camera unless your on dry pavement all the way. The front of the bike gets all the bugs. You could put it behind the windshield, but then the shield gets covered and you still can't see, sucks.

The best place to put a camera is on your helmet, on the sides, or at the top center, or even on the chin if you do not have modular. You might still get bugs there, but not as many if your shield is high enough.

I am still using gopro camera, but added a gimbal to it, and put on top of helmet, the video is nice and smooth even though it looks ridiculous on top of there.
post #3 of 132 Old 09-11-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a Sena Prism Tube camera which works great. It's on the right of my helmet and the Sena 20S is on the left. The problem is that I get only 2 hours recording time on a charge and then it takes 3 hours to recharge the battery. I'd like to get something that I don't have to recharge, gets more than 2 hours recording time and I don't have to remember to turn on or off.

Cheers!

post #4 of 132 Old 09-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Boris,
I mounted an Innov C5 camera ( only one camera facing forward) to my supplemental LED lighting assembly on the right side. I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but if you go to the Twisted Throttle site you can see the assembly made for the Denali lights on the '14 DL 1000 pictured. On playback I can see the whole road in front of me and a small bit of the beak and front tire. There is vibration, for sure, but it's not so distorting that I don't get a decent video. I'm almost 100% on paved roads, and of course it depends on the road quality. On looking at the bike, I think mounting on a crash bar would be too far rearward to work. I think mounting to the TOP of the beak would work. I haven't found bug splatter to be a problem at all. I think there is true value to keeping a looping constant video record of your rides. Hopefully we won't have to use it for crash evidence, only for preserving a record of interesting rides and perhaps wildlife that we may encounter
( without a crash! ) on the roadways. I hope this helps.
Ride safe all.
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #5 of 132 Old 12-12-2018, 11:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Boris,

Did you get your K2 cameras mounted? If so, where did you settle on? Have you been satisfied with the mount? Any spots you've tried that you would not recommend?

I need to mount up my K2 cameras. I was planning to attach the rear to the givi monokey plate's reinforcement bar on the side opposite the muffler. That will give me a clear view of all the road and hopefully being tucked between the luggage rack and the side case it will stya pretty clean and protected.

I've been thinking about the top center of the beak for the front camera, but the potential for vibrations on the plastic beak give me pause. I don't want to drill a hole in the beak if it isn't a good mount spot. Not sure if I can trust tape. Too many have failed on me. Maybe some black RTV to help. Maybe tape as a temporary option and something more permanent if it works out...
post #6 of 132 Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Not sure if this might work for a k2 but I ended up with my mobius cam mounted like this but vibration does affect the video quality. I have an alternate mount on my helmet that I would choose if I want to make a quality video to share. I feel the dash mount works ok for keeping a basic record of events. On/off with ignition. The ram mount and bracket come from AdventureTech.

14 tooth for me
post #7 of 132 Old 12-13-2018, 03:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Here is another dilemma... I originally planned (I have even completed the wiring) to mount the DVR module in the compartment under the seat for maximum weather protection as well as tamper protection. However, the only indicator that the K2 unit it working and actually recording is built into the DVR module. So I'm considering mounting it where it can be seen, but still need weather protection and some degree of obscurity. Thought about mounting to the frame that sits between the upper and lower triple clamp pieces. Or perhaps the bottom right corner of the dash console.

Anyone already installed? Suggestions?

Too bad there isn't a remote status indicator led on the Innovv K2.

Last edited by Grimmer; 12-13-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Stupid phone keyboard...
post #8 of 132 Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Another question...

The installation instructions indicate that the GPS antenna should have a clear view of the sky... Is it also required (or even recommended) that the antenna be parallel to the ground?

I have considered mounting the antenna to the top of the gauge console; however, it doesn't have any flat surfaces that are parallel to the ground. Would being at an angle to the sky above hinder the acquisition of the satellite signals?
post #9 of 132 Old 01-03-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sorry about taking so long to respond. I really could have used the cameras on December 6 when I was hit by a 2019 Toyota Corolla. It was changing lanes and side swiped me. I managed to stay up and the damage was limited to my crashers (really did their duty!), kick stand (punched the car's door) and left foot peg (ripped off by the car's rear wheel).

Anyway, I have attached a few photos of the camera installation. I didn't want them to be too obvious so I mounted the front camera under the beak and rear camera in the license plate light housing. I used a 3/4 inch (19mm) aluminum bar bolted at the rear end and glued at the front to mount the front camera so that I wouldn't have to drill any holes through the body work. It seems pretty sturdy so far and is not too obnoxious. I was worried about the vibration but it doesn't seem too bad.

To mount the rear camera I had to make some fairly radical modifications to the license plate lamp assembly. I removed the entire incandescent lamp fixture (socket and lamp) and replaced it with a flat LED fixture and then drill a 1" (25mm) hole through the rear reflector. I also had to enlarge the old socket opening a bit at the to fit the rear of the camera. I then used silicon glue to mount the camera in place.

I also mounted the GPS unit under the beak and although it is not perfectly parallel to the ground (and inverted) it seems to have adequate reception.

I put the power supply next to the fuse box on the left and it fit really well . I connected the switched 12V to the appropriate wire in the ABS connector on the right side of the tail frame (I had already reworked that to add a switched ABS to the bike).

The biggest problems I had were mounting the rear camera (it's not quite level but Oh well...) and the LEDs are really bright. I may have to tone them down a bit (quick way is with a dark filter, more permanent is with some series R). There was plenty of cable and I ended up coiling it in the the rear compartment under the seat. I put the DVR in there too because the spot on top of the ABS valves was already taken up with a McCruise controller.

I am not too worried about be able to see the DVR indicator lights. If I really needed to know something I can use the app to check it out on my phone. The one biggest pain is that the bike has to be on for the app to work. So, if I want to leave the DVR in place but download a video, I have to turn the ignition on. But at least it's fairly dry and tamper-proof.

Anyway, it's all up and running and so far so good!

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beak 3.jpg (85.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Beak 2.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Beak 4.jpg (84.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Tail Cam.jpg (68.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tail Camera.jpg (92.5 KB, 16 views)
Lrobby99 likes this.
post #10 of 132 Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisB View Post
… Anyway, I have attached a few photos of the camera installation. I didn't want them to be too obvious so I mounted the front camera under the beak and rear camera in the license plate light housing.
I also took a crack at mounting the K2 system.

I put the front camera on top of the beak. I was a little worried about vibrations and video ripping; however, it turned out that the beak mount has less ripping BY FAR than the rear camera in its current position. I also wanted the cameras to be as obscure as possible, but I was more concerned about the significant amount of debris and grime that hits the front of the bike under the beak. I washed my bike not too long ago and the amount of crap already collected on every surface below the beak gave me pause. However, the bottom corner of the headlamp had significantly less crap stuck to it, so I opted to mount it on top of the beak. I hoping that the angle of the beak and tendency for wind to go up and over, plus the headlamp pushes some air and might provide a little buffer zone, may protect the camera from collecting as much bugs and grime. Only time will tell. I took the plunge and just drilled a hole right through the beak. Running the cable over the lip and through the vent slot started out as a temporary way to test the installation before committing, but ultimately I didn't want to drill another hole (especially one big enough to pass the entire connector) in the beak and it seems to work well enough.

I mounted the rear camera to the bolt that braces the Givi Monokey plate to the frame. I had high expectations for this location; however, the video ripping is extreme. I will have to redo this mount. I suspect that since the camera's weight is mounted at the end of the provided mounting "L"-bracket, it just vibrates too much. I will have to either reinforce the bracket with some corner bracing for rigidity, 3D print some other style of mounting bracket, or move it to another location all together (perhaps the rear tip of the bike's frame is inherently too buzzy). I also thought about mounting a bar between those two givi plate bolts and mounting the camera directly it. This would eliminate the lever arm of the "L"-bracket and provide better options for mounting the camera on rubber. However, the space right there is very limited.

As for the GPS antenna, I mounted that on the top of the clutch master cylinder reservoir cap... clear view of the sky and mostly parallel to the ground. Hopefully the tape they provided will hold up better than the tape that came with my Oxford grips, which failed in a few days of summer heat. If so, the black silicone glue will probably solve the GPS problem as well as it did for the grip controller.

The power cube and the DVR unit were installed into the compartment under the seat, which is getting pretty crowded. The front camera cable and the GPS antenna cable were routed down the right side of the bike under the tank and zip tied to the existing wiring harness. The GPS antenna lead was barely long enough to make it all the way back.

If you read the forums on the Innovv K2 website, you will find a conversation about the power cube being designed to supply power to the DVR when the bike is off so that it can record shock sensitive "Park" videos. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and many DashCam's include this feature; however, the DVR while sitting around waiting to record park videos consumes ~45mAh. Since the bike comes with a smallish ~14Ah battery, there is significant concern with draining down the battery to where it will no longer start the bike. Some posters on that forum reported loss of starting within a few days of being parked (different model bike? sketchy battery?). As a safety feature, the power cube will cut power to the DVR if the system's voltage drops below 12.0V. To get around this my thought and also suggested by one of the posters on the Innovv forum is to include a diode in the circuit to drop the voltage 0.5V or so. This effectively tricks the power cube into thinking that the system's voltage is too low all the time and therefore after the ignition off timeout, the power to the DVR is cut off. The parasitic draw with the DVR off is about 8mAh, not perfect but much improved. If anyone decides to install the diode, beware that park mode recording will be disabled and no recordings will occur when the bike's ignition is turned off.

My concern with not being able to see the DVR indicator lights stems more from the possibility that there is an error, glitch, or anything wrong that prevents the system from recording as it should. Without visibility of the indicator lights, I would never know if it quit or failed to start recording. Then when I go to pull evidence from the DVR...there may be nothing there. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a fiber optic filament or something to transmit the "I'm recording" blink up to where I can see it. Perhaps the system can win my trust with an excellent show of reliability and the indicator won't be needed after all.

One additional note. I originally used the provided tape to hold the DVR still within the under seat compartment. This proved very difficult to remove and replace the micro SD card. Since the GPS antenna cable was barely long enough, my choices for orientation and position of the DVR were limited. Ultimately, I simply removed the tape and let the DVR free roam within the compartment. (It actually can't move very much.) I then positioned the cabling and other things in there to provide some protection from the power button being accidentally pushed. Some may say leave the card alone and just download the videos via WiFi... To them I reply, WiFi is "dial-up" slow compared to the USB 3.0 port on the computer. It is significantly faster to copy directly than to download. Take care when replacing the micro SD card that it goes into the actual card slot and not between the card slot frame and the case of the DVR, ask me how I know and how difficult it is to tweezer the thing back out of there...

Now for the pics:

Edit: remounted the rear camera... Pics of new mount in post below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontCamera_Side.jpg (431.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FrontCamera_Top.jpg (519.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RearCamera.jpg (604.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg GPSAntenna.jpg (476.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Grimmer; 01-16-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Reference new rear camera mount and pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode