Mounting K2 cameras - Page 9 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 135 Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I have never taken notice of the microphone position. Likely under the flap as I'm pretty sure mine predates December 2018.

I assumed that the weird shift of audio "quality" was due to some ill fated noise canceling algorithm that just couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on...

I never gave it much thought since I don't generally record audio on dash cams and had to go through a bunch of crap to get a Sena Prism Tube that actually had a working mic. I wasn't too excited for a repeat of that experience.
DesertBike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 135 Old 09-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
I too have turned audio off.

Also turned off the G-sensor. Even at "Medium" sensitivity, it's too sensitive, taking the slightest bump or transition in a parking lot as enough to stick the next several clips in the "PARK" folder. I'd rather have all video files in the same folder.

Something odd's going on with my K2. I took a long-ish ride yesterday (4.5 hours, 200-ish miles) including a dozen or so miles of dirt. Copied the videos to my PC for viewing after I got home. For some reason there are no files for about an hour-and-a-half gap, resuming when I stopped to get gas in town. The last file from when I was still on the dirt road is seemingly corrupt & won't play. WTF?

That's really annoying since I saw a deer and a pheasant, but it happened some time after the K2 stopped recording. I was hoping to get a second look at those guys on video. Rats.

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
post #83 of 135 Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Wow, something is really wrong with my K2.

It stopped working some time after I left home yesterday. Wouldn't stay on long enough to connect to the WiFi & see what was wrong. Didn't record during any of my riding, I only had one clip from each camera for the first few minutes of my ride.

Stopped a few times during my ride & after getting home, same deal.

This morning, the system powered up as if nothing had happened. But, it had reset itself to defaults - 50 Hz, km/h display, 1 minute clips, sound on, etc.

I'll find out this afternoon whether the system actually recorded video at any point.

This isn't good.

post #84 of 135 Old 09-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
There's been a pattern of the K2 simply quitting after a few hours of riding, on any given day.

Last weekend I did about a 3 hour ride, stopped for lunch for about 2 hours, then 3 more hours of riding.

The K2 stopped recording & wouldn't stay on, about halfway through the afternoon.

I was only on dirt in the morning. The afternoon was all pavement, so whatever the problem is, isn't dirt-specific after all.

After some discussion with Innovv tech support, they offered to exchange DVRs. New one has been shipped, should be here by the end of the week.

They think a ribbon cable inside the DVR is possibly coming loose, making the unit unable to stay powered up.

Hope that's what it was and that a new unit fixes this.
Grimmer likes this.

post #85 of 135 Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
The K2 stopped recording & wouldn't stay on, about halfway through the afternoon.
I haven't had this much trouble yet.

Changing my battery and formatting the SD card has helped, although I'm pretty sure that I still had some corrupt files after the changes, and definitely sometimes still get filenames that are out of order. I.e. instead of the (F)ront being odd and the (R)ear being even, they are reversed or one or the other is missing, which confuses the dashcam viewer a lot...

Also, previously I noted (and posted) that the serialization at the end of the filename was resetting every time I power cycled the bike/camera. However, with the new battery it no longer appears to be resetting with each trip. Not sure which is the correct behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
They think a ribbon cable inside the DVR is possibly coming loose, making the unit unable to stay powered up.
On the Innovv K2 forum, Rock mentioned that there is a new revision to the power adapter cube. I'm not sure how to tell which version I have, but when I contacted Innovv's tech support with my installation date, they indicated that I need the new adapter. However, the guys in the Nevada tech support center haven't been very responsive about getting one sent out.

I sent another email to Rock today... He wants to have me send the DVR back for testing, perhaps to check for that same ribbon cable issue you mentioned. However, my camera has not quit working altogether yet like yours did. A sketchy power adapter could explain the corrupt files as well as the missing files based on the premise that it was turning itself off and on when it should have simply stayed on. But an intermittent connection of the ribbon cable could also explain it.

One thing I can't explain yet was why or how it factory reset itself. Ribbon cable too?

Based on the responsiveness of the guys in Nevada, I'm not too excited about sending in my DVR without some assurance that I will get it back in a timely manner.
DesertBike likes this.
post #86 of 135 Old 09-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Yeah, I'm thinking that when the ribbon cable detaches - whether during vigorous offroading or just randomly when on pavement - it not only causes the unit to power down, it also causes it to lose all settings. So it goes back to defaults.

post #87 of 135 Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
They want me to send the unit back to China so they can diagnose it. They will arrange for a replacement unit.

In the meantime... It looks like Thinkware finally has their M1 model on the shelves. Looks like a very nice unit, but pricey at $499 on Amazon.

Might be the subject for a different thread though...
post #88 of 135 Old 09-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Where did you buy your K2? I'm having a very different customer service experience, wondering why.

I purchased my K2 directly from OCDTronic in Vegas. They sent an advance replacement DVR without even asking for credit card info. New DVR should be here tomorrow or Friday.

However, I won't get to test it really soon. Bike is partly disassembled for a water pump rebuild, which is taking longer than I'd like.

Last edited by DesertBike; 09-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #89 of 135 Old 09-18-2019, 02:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I ordered mine through Amazon (sold by OCDTronic, fulfilled by Amazon).

To clarify, Rock has been very responsive. He pointed me towards the guys in Nevada, but we just couldn't seem to connect. Rock has forwarded the ship to address for my DVR and asked the Nevada guys to send me the updated power adapter (several times) and more recently a replacement DVR. I will probably have to pull my DVR tonight and ship it tomorrow in order for it to easily arrive in NV on time for them to hand it off to Rock next week.

Not sure when I will get the backup DVR or revised power adapter (haven't heard from NV yet)... At least I have my Sena Prism Tube as a backup option until the K2 is back on-line.
DesertBike likes this.
post #90 of 135 Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Ugh, sounds like classic miscommunication then. Hope you get it sorted. In theory, you should be talking to the same people, I would think.

I haven't corresponded with Rock. My interaction has been with ODCTronic's Dashcamtalk forum account, and their tech support guy Ryan, both on the forum and via phone.

I read about that Thinkware M1. The price point is certainly painful, but I like that they took the same approach as the K2 with having no screen built into the DVR. Would be interesting to know what the recording bitrate is, whether it's fixed or variable. Looking forward to reviews.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode