Finally a member of the club!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-08-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Finally a member of the club!!!

Whom to I tell my jacket size to? Today I purchase a 2014 DL1000A!! Any tips from people that have had them for a while?

Also a side question to anyone that has owned the gen 1 and the Gen 2, Was the over all height of the gen 1 taller? My Gen 1 650 (I bought used and have no idea of all the mods) appears to be taller than the gen 2 1000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2030104-E462-4673-8079-4FB123EFD39E.jpg (365.9 KB, 20 views)
HokiesRWee, SECoda and BrianS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-09-2018, 03:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
CONGRATS ON YOUR BIKE!!! IT LOOKS GREAT!
All I can say is I bought mine new in 2014, the ECU was replaced after issues of stalling which made the bike run even better. I have been busy making it work for me, as these bikes are so mod friendly and parts/add ons are now everywhere. I changed out the brake/clutch with shorter/adjustable aftermarket handles after a horizontal adventure, put on inexpensive wider, more aggressive off road pegs which work better for me than the stock, a Givi adjustable windshield (a present from my wife!) because I guess I am just the right height to catch a LOT of buffeting (the Givi stopped all that for me). I added some other things and ride with soft bags when I go more off road/trails. The Adventure ones are too nice to scratch up. IMHO (Plus way too expensive if not part of the package, again, IMHO).YOUR HARD PANS ARE AWESOME!!! A couple other little things like a ph/gps holder and I am a seriously happy man. Still need to put on my skid plate though, she got me that too.
Anyway, I love it for the low end torque, it rides great on the highway and can handle more off road than I can and the price did not cause even a ripple from the wife. I was torn between the Vstrom 1000 Adventure and the Kawasaki Versys. I grew up riding/racing Kawasaki but I just had something for the Vstrom and I am not disappointed. I really like the adjustable rear suspension. Its so easy to set for additional loads/2ups for a really smooth ride, and then to set more aggressive maybe for those fun, twisty roads.
I had the rear tire catch a screw through the tread and naturally out the sidewall (a honkin' size screw!).So a new rear tire. I also accidentally killed the battery just after I bought it by turning the forks where they will anti theft lock BUT right in that area you also have a parking type setting that turns the lights on. Running late, as usual, for a luncheon I did not notice the lights on. When I came out the battery was DEAD! Anyway, quick fix, little down hill in third gear, popped the clutch and back up and running. That is about the only kind of strange thing about the bike and the hardest thing to do on this bike is set the TIME, it gets asked/answered here regularly and is in the manual. As far as the height, is that the low or high seat? I cant quite tell in the pic. Its not THE tallest bike but it is up there. My buddy has a Wee 650 and it is def lower.
Other than that it has been bullet proof. For the price I think it is amazing! As nearly all testers/owners say, it is not the best in any area but does well in all, a very well rounded bike. It is plenty fast enough, not bad on gas, and can make you smile on every ride.
There is a lot of good information and people on this dedicated site and please feel free to contact me by message if I can ever help with anything. I believe I speak for all here also.
Welcome aboard!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats. Yours seem to be well equipped.

2 additions I like a lot:

1. Sit&Fly seat cover. Search here for discussions about it.
2. Booster Plug: https://www.stromtrooper.com/5281175-post22.html
SECoda likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's looks to have most of what you need. Not sure what you are coming from but take it slowly.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
post #5 of 12 Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
That definitely looks like the low seat on it. The taller seat is a bit flatter. Looks like it has the SW skid plate on it which is nice. About the only thing I would recommend is a center stand definitely comes in hand for a lot of things, like changing oil and lubing and adjusting you chain.

Congratulations and Cheers!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the same bike! Love it! Got Givi monokey panniers and top trunk, Delkevic exhaust adjustable levers, KnN filter, Sargent touring seat,2" bar risers. New set of Shinko 705's to put on.. Ride Hard!20180724_144558_1536708158375.jpg20180724_144558_1536708158375.jpg
post #7 of 12 Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Dude, you picked the best colour.

Grats!
notacop likes this.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #8 of 12 Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

You will figure out the additions over time, there seems to be a never ending list of things to add depending on where you intend to ride.

Street riding only needs decent tires, a comfortable seat that can still be comfortable after several hours, and a windshield that doesn't make your head shake, maybe add some peg and mirror extenders.

Dirt needs a lot more since you tend to stand up a lot, so you need to lower the pegs, raise the bars, add adventure pegs and shorty levers, skid plate, crash bars, hand guards, radiator guard, maybe a headlight guard. There are tons of things to adventurize it.

As always, I recommend you get the best gear you can afford, even if you can't afford it, get it anyways.

Enjoy your new ride, great bike.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-12-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I just put on a new set of shinko's today. Your right about the centerstand I had one on my 650 and it was one of the best mods, so that is on the way next.

-HJ
post #10 of 12 Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Typically not a fan of gold-like colors. But this is one good looking bike, blending with the black. It would also match my "titanium matte" gold-like colored helmet! I'm jealous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode