Sudden onset of vibration through seat - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Sudden onset of vibration through seat

Hi all,

I've had my 2016 V-Strom 1000 for a few weeks now and I'm totally in love with it.

However, one slight annoyance. Just this week, it's developed some really noticeable vibration through the seat at about 4,200 - 5,500 revs or so. It just suddenly came on - was smooth as silk all through the rev range before that.

Any ideas? It has about 4,200 miles on it. It came with "official" crash bars fitted. Since I've had it, I've fitted a rack for my Givi top box, an Airflow screen and a Scottoiler. I had no vibration after fitting any of these (last thing I put on was the oiler a couple of weeks ago - was fine after that), but I've done the usual checking everything is tightened up on the screen and rack, took the top box off to remove that as a potential issue. Also check the bolts on the crash bar (have read through the forums regarding this as a potential source) and that all seemed good. Chain tension is good, chain is well lubricated.

Seat is a pretty loose fit on the subframe, but then it has been since I picked it up.

Any thoughts before I head back to the dealer for a check?

Regards,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I too will be interested to hear any advice. My Friend and I both purchased 2016's recently. He has about 9000kms and I have 7000kms on the odometers. Just moseying home on the Motorway the other day we both noticed both bikes a bit "buzzy" thru the handlebars at about 5000rpm. It is not a major issue but the experience duringt steady cruising would be better without it.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #3 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Look the rear tire over very well. Could have a belt separating or it may have needed lots of weight to balance and the weights fell off.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

post #4 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check for loose throttle body boots connecting it to the cylinder heads. This happened on my Wee, though it wasn't sudden onset as it was that way when I bought it, the symptoms were the same -- i.e. major vibes felt in the seat, pegs and bars right at ~5000 RPM +/- 500RPM.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #5 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
Look the rear tire over very well. Could have a belt separating or it may have needed lots of weight to balance and the weights fell off.

Thanks for the tip. Sorry, I shouldíve mentioned the vibration is also there when at a standstill. Iíll try and edit my original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #6 of 26 Old 09-03-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Check for loose throttle body boots connecting it to the cylinder heads. This happened on my Wee, though it wasn't sudden onset as it was that way when I bought it, the symptoms were the same -- i.e. major vibes felt in the seat, pegs and bars right at ~5000 RPM +/- 500RPM.

Thanks also for the tip I shall Google how to check this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #7 of 26 Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

A quick update: I stuffed a rag between the front lip of the seat and the back of the tank, as thatís where it seemed loosest and itís helped tremendously. I suspect itís only masking the vibration, rather than removing the source, but at least itís helped make the ride more enjoyable whilst I try and track down the real source.

Itís going back to the dealer for them to check after my holiday.

Will report more as and when I find out more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #8 of 26 Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Must check that. I have heard it mentioned previously. I think the tank has to come off completely to check.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #9 of 26 Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 AM
$tromtrooper

Engine guards can cause vibrations too.

Make sure the little rubber bumpers are all intact on the seat pan.
Spec likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #10 of 26 Old 09-04-2018, 06:14 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I sent my Vee2 to the dealer for the ignition wiring and ground relocation recall service, when I got it back it had developed an out of place vibe / buzz / sound... It sounded like when my gas tank is nearly empty, a subtle hollow buzz. However, the tank was full. When I looked closer, I noticed that the main bolt anchoring the gas tank was only finger tight. Grrr.

I tightened it up and all was back to normal.

I have always had a slight increase in buzz that starts at about 5K rpm. As I recall it calmed down above 6K or so, but now it seems to carry through all the way to redline. Back in the beginning, I figured that it was simply from the factory crash bars combined with the EG skid plate and that I was stuck with it. It wasn't overly irritating, but it is enough to blur the rear view mirror images. Biggest trouble is that the speed limits here are 80 mph which puts the Vee2 in 6th gear right at 5K rpm. So there is the potential for cruising hours at a time in the buzziest rpm range.

I've been reading a bunch of vibration threads lately and have contemplated revisiting the issue. My bike is technically due for the "Throttle Body " sync per the owner's manual maintenance schedule, which requires the dealer diagnostic tool to perform. However, at least for the Vee2, that only really balances the idle circuit by setting the idle air control valves (needs the dealer diagnostic tool to put it into a mode where they stay put and won't try to automatically compensate). This should have little to no effect on partial throttle running at 5K rpm on the freeway. My bike is a bit rough when cold, below 3K rpm, and barely cracked throttle; which I would expect to get much better after completing the sync procedure since that is right in the realm of the IAC valves' control.

Dmfdmf posted here about the actual throttle body butterfly valves being synced a the factory (at least for the 650's). I have looked through the Vee2 service manual and it also does not have a procedure for correcting butterfly valve sync. I have to wonder if it would be possible to sync them DIY style. There are devices out there that are used for syncing carbs on in-lines as well as any other setup that uses more than one carb. Could one of those be used to sync, or at least measure the sync of the butterfly valves on these bikes?

The various attachments like crash bars, skid plates, etc. can change the harmonics and amplify the vibrations at resonant frequencies, but if I can find and correct the source of the vibration (as dmfdmf mentioned, likely an imbalance of power between the two cylinders), then the resonance and harmonics wouldn't have as much of a source "wave" to work with.

One of these days, I'll have to do some centerstand poking and listening to try to identify which parts are involved. Although, it is entirely possible that it is running just fine and won't get much less vibration. It is very subjective and difficult to quantify through text alone on the internet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode