Low Beam H7, Anybody Found A Reliable and Plug&PLay LED Bulb? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Low Beam H7, Anybody Found A Reliable and Plug&PLay LED Bulb?

My halogen H7 bulbs keep burning out after about 10k. So I wonder if there is by now an LED alternative that really works, fits into the low beam housing, has decent intensity and lighting pattern? Any one found one that fits the bill?

THANKS!

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I tried many of them and ended up with Cyclops H7 LED. It was expensive but so far the best light pattern, almost as good as with halogen bulb. If you go with one, you have to remove the ring arround the LED bulb, first install the ring and then the bulb. You'll understand it easily if you get one. As for the "driver", it's best to stay out of the housing, so after installing the bulb I opened a little gap on the side of the dust cover to pass the cables. Then I closed the gap with silicone. Don't worry about dust cap, they are very cheap.
Kerri Miller likes this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same problem with my V2 but it turned out to bet the wires not the globes that was the problem.

I purchased my bike used it came with a lot of paperwork and the guy spent a lot of money maintaining the bike including having the low beam globe replaced.

After a few thousand K's I lost low beam, I change the globe and all was good for a while until I lost low beam again, I was thinking I had gotten a lemon.

When I pulled the plug from the back of the globe this time I could see the plastic plug socket had gotten hot and started to melt.

I decided to test the globe, it was fine and working well, I then decided to test the globe I had removed a few months earlier and it tested fine too. ??

It turned out the female spade fitting in the socket had gone soft and had no clamping pressure, this caused heat, made the fittings even softer and the plastic socket hot.

I'm not sure if the problem was there from the factory or the other mechanic stretched the spade fitting when he replaced the original globe but my problems were all caused by poor contact & heat.

That was a couple of years ago, I replaced the female spade fittings and have had no more light problems.
(until this week I found my licence plate globe was blown, could be looking at LED now)

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

All of the LED bulbs I have seen so far, including the renowned Cyclops, disperse light more like a flood than a spot. The light is too high at night and will blind oncoming drivers. You can tell if yours is doing this by comparing the high and low beams at night, if the low beam lights up the road the same as the high beam, then you have a problem. Another way to tell is if you go out at night and cars keep flashing their lights at you.

If anyone knows of an LED light that does not do this, I would be interested to hear about it.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2018, 11:53 AM
$tromtrooper

There is a member on the ST-Owners forum who has done a lot of work on LED lights.

H4 LED - 2018 Evitek, F2 replaces G6 | ST-Owners.com

There is a H7 version of the F2

Post #77 has some pics of the beam pattern for the H4

There is also a fanless version but it appears to still need a bit of work.

E1 LED by Evitek - Fanless bulb | ST-Owners.com

Last edited by drrod; 09-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info. Seems to me that the bulb may not fit inside the low beam pot and if it does, will get hot because there is not enough cooling.

So I am looking for someone who has actually installed and used successfully a LED bulb in a V2 or the new generation WEE which has the same lighting arrangement.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

As I said, I did install it. It's Cyclops H7 with the fan. In my previous reply you have the explanation on how to install it.
Later on, after trying various LED's H9 for high beam, I've got one from zdatt.com and it has excellent pattern, so it's a keeper.
Now all the lights are matching color and LED, including two sets of aftermarket LED fog lights.
One year with H7 LED and 3 months with H9 LED and no problems at all.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #8 of 12 Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here is what I did and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...h-%3D-win.html

2014 One Thou Pow!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
As I said, I did install it. It's Cyclops H7 with the fan. In my previous reply you have the explanation on how to install it.
Later on, after trying various LED's H9 for high beam, I've got one from zdatt.com and it has excellent pattern, so it's a keeper.
Now all the lights are matching color and LED, including two sets of aftermarket LED fog lights.
One year with H7 LED and 3 months with H9 LED and no problems at all.
If you setup a camera on a parked car, and then do a drive by at night it would be interesting to see how it looks. Possible?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbar View Post
Here is what I did and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...h-%3D-win.html
That HID bulb looks really fragile no? Can it take a few bumps and live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode