Chain adjustment spec 2014 V Strom 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Chain adjustment spec 2014 V Strom 1000

Hi all,
I have a concern with the chain adjustment specs on my 2014 V Strom 1000, the chain adjustment is done with the bike on the side stand to tightest spot on the chain, so adjusting as said to the 20 - 30 mm only to find that when I sit on the bike I am 85kg the chain then becomes extremely tight. I asked my son to sit on the bike and his weight is around 60kg and same thing ... the chain is tight, I can only imagine how tight it will be 2 up :-O ... this is a major error on Suzuki's part if this is wrong. I can only imagine the strain it is putting on the output bearing. For which I am sure Suzuki wouldn't claim responsibility for.
Any one else see this ??? are there any updated specs for this ??
Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, when doing it on the side stand, the rear suspension extend a bit, so is not compressed as it would, had the bike been upright, which is why I always lean the bike against a wall. Never had a problem after that, also a well oiled chain regained some normality back.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 01:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki's spec is too tight. I set mine at 1.5 inches (you convert to metric). There are several threads on this. The chain will be "tightest" when the front sprocket, swingarm pivot centerline and rear axle are all in a straight line. When the rear axle is above this point (max load) or below this point (light or no load) the chain will be looser.
VSrider likes this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

post #4 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

I know what you mean, I set my slack to the max 30mm or 1.2'' in your system at 37mm (1.5'') I find it too snatchy with on off power. How many km or miles do your chains last?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm getting around 12,000km.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Astro, there is a discrepancy between what is printed in the '14 DL1000A Owners Manual and the '14 DL1000A Suzuki Service Manual.
The owners manual specifies checking the chain slack while on the center stand, while the service manual calls for checking it: "Support the motorcycle with a jack or wooden block."
The same 20mm-30mm spec applies in both cases.
Just came back from the garage after reading your post, and the chain is indeed uncomfortably tight at 25mm, which I adjusted while on the side stand. I havent had any ill effects with the bike at that adjustment method and spec.
I just now checked slack both with bike on side stand and on center stand. Both times the result was the same.
Tomorrow I'll reset slack to 30mm and see how the slack feels with my body weight(225lbs on it. I'd prefer to stay within spec.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 02:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would get around 20,000 miles out of a chain and sprocket set, but I ride almost all street and hate rain.

Never cleaned a chain beyond a wipe off with a rag and used Bel Ray superclean chain lube. V-Tom makes his chains last forever somehow, I must spank my bikes harder.

My 1.5 inches is on the center stand, wheel hanging. On the side stand, I used 1.25 inches. Too tight and you are putting excessive side loading on the counter sprocket bearing.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #8 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

ST, same deal with my chains. Bel-Ray Superclean, wipe down with a shop towel, set slack and alignment.
Funny, when I set slack to spec on my ZRX or CB750K, the chain feels fine with my weight on it. Not so this Vstrom. Which will be corrected tomorrow. It;s not stupid-tight now, just not what I would expect.

Motorcyclist magazine carped about the then-new Yamaha FJ09 having a chain as tight as a banjo string when set to spec.
A friend of mine got his '15 FJ09, the chain was scary-tight. I set it to spec as per Yaha's recommended procedure--and it was still way too tight. I finally set his FJ where we both felt it was fine.
What's going on here?
post #9 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hello all!
I dont know if this has ever been brought up before in this forum, but the chain slack is adjusted midway between the front and rear sprockets. Pretty obvious. But what isnt obvious, and is not shown in the factory Suzuki Service Manual for my '14 DL1K, is that there is a casting boss on the underside of the swingarm in that very location, presumably for that very purpose. This boss is less than a 1/16th of an inch thick, has 3 straight sides and one rounded side closest to the wheel. I measured 27" between the drive and driven sprockets, and at 13.5" is the boss. I do not know if there is a similar boss on the 650 models, but it's worth a look-see. Similarly, my ZRX1100 has a cast-in triangle midway between the sprockets.
I did get a chance to use my Motion-Pro Sprocket Jammer, and itworked like a charm. Loosened the adjuster locknuts, turned both of them in equally then tightened the locknuts. Placed the Jammer between the lower chain run and rear sprocket, loosened the axle nut, rotated the wheel forward which pushed the axle blocks against the adjuster bolt heads, torqued the axle nut and DONE. I have it set at the slack I want, and alignment was right on the beam checked with my Sims & Rohm(Muzzy) chain/swingarm aligner.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

IMHO the best way to check the chain is to turn it to the tightest point, and have a friend hold the bike upright while sitting on it. If you do that once, then measure the slack when on the stand, you'll have a measurement to use when on the stand in future.
Better too loose than too tight!
V-Tom, rattlinjack and Kurtk like this.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
and the holes are very small, that's why rain is thin.
Spike Milligan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode