Gvw - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Gvw

I was considering the 650 vs 1000. I am trying to figure out what is the max weight each one can carry? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Max weight is the same, but it's total weight so the 650 can carry 20kg more ADDED weight than the 1000. I can't remember what the total is, but it's right up there with bikes like Goldwings.

I would suggest suspension mods though if the weigh is getting up there. There's a big difference between can do and can do comfortably.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Actually the Gold Wings don't carry as much weight at you might imagine! My BMW carries a LOT more weight than a Gold Wing simply because it weighs 620 lbs instead of 900.

The DL 650 weighs slightly less than the 1000 and since it has the same tires it is rated for a bit more "payload". Tires are typically the limiting factor in how much the bike, equipment, luggage, and rider can weigh and be within the manufacturers rated load.

The rear tire on my 650 is rated for 716 lbs, the front 536 lbs for a total of 1,252 lbs. Bike is 526 lbs without side cases, rider, or gear. 726 lbs of payload! That is very high compared to some bikes. BUT...pay attention to rear tire load as it is easy to put a lot of weight on the rear and very little on the front. Easy to overload rear, especially with passenger and a lot of luggage.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 6 Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
For the DL650, the GVWR is 926 lbs which means you can safely carry around 425-450 lbs depending on how much added weight you have installed as accessory (Sidecases, racks, skidplate, crashbars, topcase, tankbag) and gear.

As the legendary Greywolf stated on more than one occasion, these numbers are very conservative and driven by liability lawyers. In the real world I would not hesitate to ride the 650 2-up with gear...in fact, my wife and I do so often. A stronger rear spring and drop-in fork cartridges will make the extra weight less likely to affect handling.

We find that the only place we really notice the stock bike struggling is when there is a dip in the road....can bottom-out fairly easily in that scenario. Have the local shop lined up to install a stiffer rear spring and cartridges before we travel together to the Eastern V-Strom rally next May.

Surprisingly, the DL1000 has a slightly lower carrying capacity than the DL650

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Isnt this all going to depend on exactly which tyres are fitted? Seems to be one of those ' how long is a piece of string' questions.

Cheers Tom R

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100
post #6 of 6 Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

About any stock size tire for the V Strom will have the same weight rating. I mentioned the sidewall load rating on TKC 70's above. I think most if not all the tires I have run are the same or very, very close to that.

It is correct that the manufacturers load rating might be less than the total of the tires weight rating. Assuming the suspension is able, tires are still the most relevant load limiting factor.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode