Shifter relocation project. 2015 DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-23-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Shifter relocation project. 2015 DL1000

Picked up a new set of Forma Boulder boots, can't get toe under shifter now. Never had a shifting issue with MX boots on any other bike or quad. Tried adjusting it, nope. Shift arm is too close to the foot peg. Seems to be a well known issue. And I refuse to pay in excess of $100 bucks for some fix.

So heres the start of my DIY relocation kit. Made from scrap aluminum, using a drill press, a crappy wood working band saw, and belt sander. This is the result of tonights efforts.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Skills...nice job. Have you tested it?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #3 of 20 Old 08-25-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Adapter is now powdercoated. Just finished up adjusting the new 1" shorter threaded rod.

Didnt have a left hand die in 6mmx1.0 so had to thread the shorter rod on the old mans lathe. Could have cut and welded the OEM rod, But I would prefer to have all original stock parts at my disposal if I want to go back.

Anyways.. I can now shift fine on the center stand with regular shoes as well as my new MX boots. Will test ride shortly.

Gert and Chipwidget like this.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Works great, but needs a thicker back plate or second bolt at top. Has a bit of flex if you push down past shift stop point. Should be easy to reproduce it in 1/4 and swap it out.

Running the trans Wisconsin adventure trail next week, and wont have time, so this one will get a good beat down as is next week.

post #5 of 20 Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berksglh View Post
Picked up a new set of Forma Boulder boots, can't get toe under shifter now. Never had a shifting issue with MX boots on any other bike or quad. Tried adjusting it, nope. Shift arm is too close to the foot peg. Seems to be a well known issue. And I refuse to pay in excess of $100 bucks for some fix.

So heres the start of my DIY relocation kit. Made from scrap aluminum, using a drill press, a crappy wood working band saw, and belt sander. This is the result of tonights efforts.

Not $100 more like $45. https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...tegory=9179080

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #6 of 20 Old 08-26-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman2016 View Post
Not $100 more like $45. https://www.svracingparts.com/store/...tegory=9179080

That appears to be just a foot peg lowering kit. Distance between foot peg and shifter tip appear stock. Unless I missed it, this will not allow shifting with mx boots.

Here's an approximated before and actual after shots of boot angle required to get below shifter. Even if shifter was adjusted upward to the point that downshifting was an issue.

Both pics are with shifter tip located 1" forward of stock.

post #7 of 20 Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice work. I had the same problem and got the Adventure Tech extender. I ended up taking it off after I got some boots that were not so bulky.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 20 Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Nice work. I had the same problem and got the Adventure Tech extender. I ended up taking it off after I got some boots that were not so bulky.
Is it for sale?

2014 Suzuki DL1000. Loves it!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berksglh View Post
That appears to be just a foot peg lowering kit. Distance between foot peg and shifter tip appear stock. Unless I missed it, this will not allow shifting with mx boots.

Here's an approximated before and actual after shots of boot angle required to get below shifter. Even if shifter was adjusted upward to the point that downshifting was an issue.

Both pics are with shifter tip located 1" forward of stock.

Ok, now I see what youíre doing. I just moved my shifter linkage a tooth or 2 when Iím wearing my adventure boots.

2014 650 Strom
post #10 of 20 Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman2016 View Post
Ok, now I see what youíre doing. I just moved my shifter linkage a tooth or 2 when Iím wearing my adventure boots.

Yeah, but if the shifter hits the peg (as high as it can be set) and you still can't get the boot under it, there's nowhere to go, but to relocate it, right?
Those are some BIG boots! No issues with my size twelves, but they're road race boots! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode