Vee2 exhaust valve issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME
  • 1 Post By Houstrom46*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Vee2 exhaust valve issue

I saw on advrider where a guy with a Vee2 had his FI light come on and he took it to the shop and they found a rock in the mechanism for the exhaust valve. It was an easy fix.
SW Motech makes a guard for this, a bit spendy. At least if your FI light comes on check for rocks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

where and how do we check for a rock?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Directly between the vertical pushrod for the rear brake and the visible portion of the exhaust pipe feeding the muffler. There are 2 cables with silver ferrules going to a small steel pulley behind a black pulley shield held on with 2 acorn nuts. Remove shield and inspect.
BradA34 likes this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 08-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradA34 View Post
I saw on advrider where a guy with a Vee2 had his FI light come on and he took it to the shop and they found a rock in the mechanism for the exhaust valve. It was an easy fix.
SW Motech makes a guard for this, a bit spendy. At least if your FI light comes on check for rocks!!
I had that exact thing happen to my 2014 V2. Road rocks can get flipped up and drop right into the valve mechanism. You can pop them out with a small flat blade screw driver or grab the rock with some small needle nose pliers and pull it out. Not a big deal, just something you wouldn't expect.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 12:30 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Good to know... Hasn't happened to me yet, but last trip out on the dirt was drenched in light road gravel. Will add this to my things to look out for.

Was there a performance issue or just the FI light?

Also reminds me that I need to install my fender raising kit. Anyone have subsequent issues with rocks getting at the radiator? The theory behind raising the fender is to keep the little rocks from grinding through between the tire and fender, but I wonder about unintended consequences of the raised fender allowing rocks a better chance of hitting the radiator.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Donít remember if he had a performance issue or not. His thread is on advrider, epic road trips, ďAtlanta, GA to Alaska 2018Ē. Interesting thread as well.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I rode my bike about 10 miles to the dealer to have them figure it out. I didn't notice any performance issues but the valve changes the back pressure so it is going to affect the way the engine is designed to run. I assume mine was stuck in the open position. If it had been stuck in the closed position, it may have been a different story.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is this the same valve that some folks disable in the open position whenever they install a new exhaust?
BradA34 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you are riding a lot of dirt, I highly recommend installing a radiator guard. I am on a 650 and last service my mechanic commented on my radiator fins. About 20% were pretty dinged and bent up.

Current Motorcycles
2007 Wee
2010 BMW S1000RR
2001 Suzuki SV650S
2005 Vee R.I.P.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
Is this the same valve that some folks disable in the open position whenever they install a new exhaust?
Or completely remove the thing like I did...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode