Valve adjustment - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
I was quoated almost a grand.....yes you have that right, almost a grand from my local mega dealer. So I have a good buddy who I consider to be a master mechanic, give me the name of a local guy with a small private shop, who is the ONLY person he let's adjust the valves on his Ducati and Aprilia race bikes. He is going to do the entire job for less than $300, and from what I hear he is very anal retentive when he works on bikes. I am thrilled to support a local mechanic, and I will be giving him a nice tip as well. I fully expect to hear of exhaust valves at their limit "especially in the rear cylinder", and I instructed him to adjust ALL to minimum spec if required.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2old View Post
Having done 30-40 1st time strom valve adjustments for other people I found 2/3 were somewhere within spec. 1/3 had 1 or more valves out. 1 even had a exhaust at .040. Thats .028 over the .012 max recommended.
Interesting, as that is the clearance when the decompression peg is extended. I made the mistake on a YZ450F - changed the shim, rechecked clearance and got the same number.......Finally realizing the decomp peg was holding down the bucket at 0.040mm no matter what shim I had underneath.

2014 One Thou Pow!
post #43 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbar View Post
Interesting, as that is the clearance when the decompression peg is extended. I made the mistake on a YZ450F - changed the shim, rechecked clearance and got the same number.......Finally realizing the decomp peg was holding down the bucket at 0.040mm no matter what shim I had underneath.
That is something most all large singles have, but don't know of any multis that need one.
The proper shim corrected the clearance on that large gap.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.

post #44 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
AND, gawd yes you can damage a filter.
Absolutely. The only other times I've seen any cleaning procedure other than replacement was to take the (paper) airfilter and gently tap it on a hard surface to shake the extra dust out of it. This is from factory and aftermarket service manuals from the '60s.
I used to tap the filter in my '65 Ford Galaxie big-block in front of a shop light, you'd be amazed at all the dust that comes out of it. According to a Fram rep I spoke with, using compressed air can damage the fiber structure of the filter material, and lead to less actual filtration.
post #45 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Absolutely. The only other times I've seen any cleaning procedure other than replacement was to take the (paper) airfilter and gently tap it on a hard surface to shake the extra dust out of it.
That used to work fine with the circular filters of old but the filter on my VW, besides being a pain to get out flops around like a ducks arse with no rigid frame around it.
With regard to valve adjustment, I was a bit nervous to tackle my own but the mechanics at the local dealers seemed unaware of shim/bucket valve trains (yes, hard to figure out why they're still working) and that did not inspire any confidence in handing my Strom over to them. With a Haynes and '04 Factory manual in hand the job went smoothly and gave me a chance to take a closer look at the inner workings as well as giving the rad a good cleaning. My good luck saw all valves at least a thou' over minimum (just looking at the small tolerance range amazes me).
I stick as close as I can to recommended maintenance. I figure someone put some thought into it at the factory.
ps. I have an Aprilia scooter as well. The manual recommends replacing the CVT toothed belt every 6K miles. The old belt always looks great but the forums are spotted with the non-believers wondering what went wrong when their belt breaks at highway speed and takes out cases and seals that cost mega$$ to replace. Some lessons are hard learned.

Last edited by Southpaw56; 01-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #46 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

$1,000 ??? Cheapskate !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I was quoated almost a grand.....yes you have that right, almost a grand from my local mega dealer.
$1,000 ???

What are you, some kind of cheapskate or something ???
Small price to pay for therapy, isn't it ?

As for the notion that most of these shim-under-bucket valve engines can be checked and adjusted once at 26kmi, and that if you sand the shims to put all the valves at the low end of the spec, you may be able to ride for 80k + miles without having to adjust again--utter nonsense !! (my bike and numerous others being exceptions, though).

And what's this notion that gathered data, statistics and probability can be used to draw inferences of similar engines, makes, and models of motorcycles ?? Do you think these mathematical tools have been used successfully in the advancement of medical science, engineering, manufacturing quality control, and electronics successfully for hundreds of years or something ? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that Global Warming is real !!!
What are you, some kind of Democrat, or something ?

(User NVT posted his valve reading on his '06 DL650, and the readings were the same as my '06 DL650 at the same mileage; but I'm sure this was just a meaningless coincidence.)

Don't you realize that when any work must be done to a motorcycle, that only the most expensive additives and lubricants(chain, engine, brake, etc.) must be used ? Most engines will fail in a short time if anything less than the most expensive products are used(except mine; I'm just lucky, I guess).

The resulting engine failure could cause deep psychological damage which could destroy your marriage. You could lose your children and your house. You'll whole life will go down the tubes if you do not dedicate yourself to following you service manual exactly, and purchase only the most expensive products for it, and have the work performed by the most expensive mechanics available.

NEVER post valid Total Cost Of Ownership information on this website. It just isn't proper for the Stromtrooper website anymore. It was once, but that was a long time ago.

There are people on this website with valid High School diplomas, and I suggest you take their advice seriously.

....and don't go thinking there are people on this website trying to encourage unnecessary motorcycle expenditures.

It's not happening. You're just imagining it. Go back to sleep.
STCorndog likes this.

Last edited by XLonDL650; 01-05-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #47 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
MEH.....you'll just total another bike before it's time for a valve check.
That's how I roll.....

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #48 of 85 Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did mine about 18000 miles. Found some tightening on both intake and exhaust. Did the shims. And in answer to the original question, I don't think there would be any audible noise as they tighten a lot more than loosen. The biggest thing I found to worry about was losing the little bolt barrels down into the engine. Which I did, Days of fishing with a telescoping magnet turned up nothing. A call to the shop to ask them if it had happened to them had them say fer sur. Advice was to remove the side cover which I did to find the little rascal resting on the flywheel tooth. Whew!

2014 V2. Givin it a likkin and it's still tickin!
post #49 of 85 Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
Appears I am still in the minority, one day I may regret my own advice.

I will let you know if it happens
3 valve checks in 194 thousand kms. First was in spec. Second was in spec but changed a few to mid range. Third, at 194k kms, only one was out of spec and only by one thou.

I would do the first recommended check, because who knows how the bike was set up but, after that, you know what you're dealing with. Then, for me, it's just when it's convenient when you're in the neighbourhood doing something else.

But then, that's just my experience.

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone.

Disclaimer: I believe human-caused climate change is real and I use synthetic oil. I drink scotch and hoppy beer. I have a masters degree but is in nothing motorcycle related.
STCorndog and brutalguyracing like this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17

Last edited by larolco; 01-06-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #50 of 85 Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2old View Post
That is something most all large singles have, but don't know of any multis that need one.
My 2014 DL1000A has auto decompression linkages on both exhaust cams.

2014 One Thou Pow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode