StromTrooper banner

Throttle delay and high pitched humming?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blaustrom 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 DL1000 with 15+K miles. This weekend is the first time I have ridden it in about 2 weeks (no fear, I've been riding another the other bike! :grin2:) But I noticed that the throttle response seemed delayed in 1st & 2nd gear to the point that when making tight turns the normal friction zone was not enough to move through the turn without making the bike feel like it was "diving." I could also tell at intersections that it just seemed to have a delayed throttle response. I was just looking at the maintenance schedule and it is showing that I should have had the valve clearances checked 1000 miles ago so I will get that done this week. Could they be out of spec causing this issue? And would that be something that would happen fairly quickly because the last time that I rode, the throttle was fine.

I super slabbed it back from class Sunday evening and I could hear a high pitched humming sound - more than what I normally hear from the knobbies roaring. Could this be a wheel bearing going out? How do I check something like that?

Can someone point me in a general direction?

#2 ·
I recently did a valve check on my '15 with 27,000km (16,700mi). All valves were within spec, although the exhaust valves were close to the tight end of spec, so I bumped them up to the top end. I also changed the air filter for the first time since new and it was quite clogged. I checked the TPS calibration before putting everything back together too, but it was bang on.

I had been noticing a slight hesitation, and a rich mixture smell as well before all this work, but that seems to have cleared up since. I believe it was mostly the air filter at fault. These FI systems lean very heavily on the TPS and IAT to calculate the injector pulse width. If the air flow is restricted the throttle angle will be exaggerated in relation to the actual air flow, causing a rich zone at the beginning of the throttle curve. Then the O2 sensor picks up the rich burn and the ECU leans the mixture just as the engine vacuum finally pulls air through the restricted filter. Now there's a lean spot just as the engine should be picking up steam.

Anyway, check that filter, and while it's likely not a panic, you might want to start making plans for a valve check in the next few thousand miles!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I super slabbed it back from class Sunday evening and I could hear a high pitched humming sound - more than what I normally hear from the knobbies roaring. Could this be a wheel bearing going out? How do I check something like that?

Can someone point me in a general direction?

Check your chain and sprockets.

#5 ·
I have a 2014 DL1000 with 15+K miles. .... But I noticed that the throttle response seemed delayed in 1st & 2nd gear ... . that I should have had the valve clearances checked 1000 miles ago so I will get that done this week. Could they be out of spec causing this issue? And would that be something that would happen fairly quickly because the last time that I rode, the throttle was fine. ....
Seems to me that the valves are not the cause if in fact the hesitation has come on this sudden. The valves do change only very little and very gradually.

How about bad gasoline? When did you last fill up? Could it be as simple as that?

Is it possible that your filter is very clogged? You ride a lot in dusty conditions?

Vacuum leak? Did anybody touch the bike since you last rode it? Chipmunks maybe?

I would ride the bike some more to see if the problem persists and analyze it more in detail or if it disappears again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.