TOOL KIT - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

TOOL KIT

Trying to assemble a better tool kit for my 2014. I know this is a loaded question but what does everyone carry? The Stock kit is nearly useless IMHO.

I have 8,10,12,14,17,19 sockets and end wrenches, 3/8 T-handle, 4inch extension, JIC#2 screwdriver as well as a 8-in-1, Needle nose, 8" Cobra grip, and 6" needle nose vice grips, 8" adj, small cheater bar and flashlight.

What am I missing? I'm not a round the world rider and I'm a crappy bike mechanic so I'm not gonna be rebuilding the engine in a hotel parking lot, I'd just like to cover the basic maintenance/repair needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Set of allen Keys
tubeless tyre puncture repair kit.
tyre inflation equipment - CO2 bottles or 12v pump
duct tape
Pepe lopez likes this.

Last edited by suzukik9rider; 07-25-2018 at 11:29 AM.
post #3 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Some further suggestions https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...-advanced.html or via the search, look for toolkit

Last edited by Gert; 07-25-2018 at 11:36 AM.

post #4 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Richlandrick talked about a shorty rear axle nut wrench, would be good to have along if you have to remove a rear wheel. For the flashlight I use a headband type, adjustable beam for angle and intensity, and 2 of mine have read or white emergency flashing as well. 2 weeks ago Northern Tool was selling them for $2.49 each! I used the 1st type with the adjustments at work, so now it's in my tankbag. Keeps the hands free while working in the dark.
NVDucati and dwayneh like this.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Some further suggestions or via the search, look for toolkit
I follow the "Toolkit Thread" on ADV but that one gets kinda overwhelming, was looking more specifically for what my fellow 'Strommers are carrying.

I did forget that I have a set of allen wrenches, I need to figure out which ones I need and get rid of the unneeded ones.

I have a tire plug kit and 12V pump but no way to carry it under the seat. It usually tags along on longer trips strapped to the rack.

Duct tape, some wire, connectors, safety wire, spare master link, and fuses I consider spare parts. They are also on the bike under the seat.
post #6 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't forget one of these in case you ever need to remove your front wheel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL650 Axle tool.jpg (52.3 KB, 32 views)
6gun likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seems a little heavy on mechanical tools to me.
When I toured on my V-Strom, I carried a plug kit and compressor, a tool that I could loosen the rear axle with, the factory tools, a pair of needle nose pliers with side cutters, some stainless lock wire, and a roll of electrical tape. A tool for the front axle would also be useful, not so much if you don't have a centrestand. Don't think I've ever used any of it on the road, except for the plug kit and compressor. My V-Strom was as reliable as a stone axe over the 80,000 or so km that I had it.
post #8 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Strom Ry 2 View Post
Seems a little heavy on mechanical tools to me.
When I toured on my V-Strom, I carried a plug kit and compressor, a tool that I could loosen the rear axle with, the factory tools, a pair of needle nose pliers with side cutters, some stainless lock wire, and a roll of electrical tape. A tool for the front axle would also be useful, not so much if you don't have a centrestand. Don't think I've ever used any of it on the road, except for the plug kit and compressor. My V-Strom was as reliable as a stone axe over the 80,000 or so km that I had it.
I probably am a little heavy but that is part of the purpose of this post. I want to have what is useful but not too overboard. I'll be looking into one of those axle tools, or something to do that job with!
post #9 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

To an extent I'd rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. The weight and space difference of a few extra tools is so negligible.

I did make some tools duplicitous. For the rear axle nut I bought a $4 combo wrench at the local home center cut the open end off it and rounded it off with a grinder. It now serves as a tire iron on one side and axle nut removal tool on the other. Sure its heavier than the equalivant $90 alloy counterpart but for a $86 difference 4 more ounces isn't a deal breaker for me.
post #10 of 37 Old 07-25-2018, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Tools are useful sometimes...chain lube, rag and a credit card are useful at all times!

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode