Corbin vs Sargent, help me decide - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Corbin vs Sargent, help me decide

Alright, time to bite the bullet and buy a seat. I am between the Corbin and Sargent. I'm on the fence between the two as they both have their pros and cons. For the sake of this thread, i would like to stick with these.

I am leaning Corbin. I had one on my Ninja and loved it.

The first reason i am not going straight for it is that I hear the Corbin will make it a little harder to reach the ground. Currently, i would say the seat height is ok with the OEM, both heels just a hair off the ground. I'm not sure how much more, if any, the Corbin would add to that.
Contrast to that, the Sargent is thinner in the front, making it easier. For the record, i am 6', 32" inseam

The second reason I am hesitating on the Corbin is i read the hardness makes the vibrations of the V-twin much more pronounced. Is this a problem, i dont know. My Ninja was a smooth inline 4. The Sargent i believe is softer, which would help with this.

I also ride two up with my wife. My last Corbin had a nice little valley to keep her in her spot. that is important

Can anyone provide some thoughts here? I have a read quite a few threads on seats. I wanted to start my own to discuss my concerns. If it should go somewhere else, im sure the mods will tell me.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had a corbin on my sv650 and liked it, so I don't think v twin vibes would be an issue. Also liked the firmness as it provides good support. For the vstrom I went with Sargent because of the height issue you mentioned. The Sargent is a bit lower than stock, not enough to notice though, but certainly no higher. I'm happy with it. The underseat storage tube is a nice feature. First trip on it was a 500 mile day, no problem. The passenger area is dished a bit too, so should hold the passenger in place. I don't ride 2 up, so can't verify this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #3 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
do you feel you slide forward at all in the Sargent, it looks a little angled forward?

2016 DL1000 ABS

post #4 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Don't actually slide, but I do feel like I'm leaned a bit more forward. I rotated the bars back a tiny amount and this helps.

post #5 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoblanco View Post
Don't actually slide, but I do feel like I'm leaned a bit more forward. I rotated the bars back a tiny amount and this helps.
i would guess you're leaning less than the stock seat though?

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #6 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The Sargent had me sitting back just a bit, more into the "saddle" shape, and this had my arms streched a bit more, causing a slight forward lean. Rotating the bars back put me back to original position. (I'm 6 ft, 32 inseam, 220 lbs.)

post #7 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Can only compare the stock seat to the Sargent that was on the bike when I bought it. World of difference. Went back to the stock temporarily, it felt like a concrete park bench. To me the Sargent is very comfortable since I never think about it. I don't do long distance though

I had an unusual break to one of the forward tabs that slides under the frame. Sargent sent me a brand new seat as a replacement, no cost to me and was not the original owner and had no receipt. Because of that I would buy my next seat from them.
Jeepster09 likes this.
post #8 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sargent for the win. I have the low version...5'6" with 30" legs on a good day. You six footers with at least 32" inseams get absolutely no sympathy from me. Get the seat that fits your butt. My wife pillion has loved every Sargent we have had.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Mulewright and Jeepster09 like this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #9 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

I've had both on previous bikes...
People tend to either love or hate the Corbin... not much middle ground. I found it to be a plank. Beautiful leather seat, extremely well crafted, but hard as a rock, and frankly I didn't feel much difference after the supposed 800 mile break in... That was a few years ago, and I've heard they've "softened" it up a bit... However, I *have* sat on them, and not quite convinced that's the case.

I've had the Sargent on two previous bikes, a 2013 DL650, and 2015 Versys. LOVED it on both. Never thought twice about riding 3-4 hours at a stretch, *without* a stretch... I'm not sure what the DL1000 seat looks like, but the Sargent on the DL650 had storage underneath as well, and came with a storage cylinder bungied to the bottom. The Sargent was vinyl, however, I ride in all types of weather and actually prefer vinyl to leather, which seems a bit more oblivious to rain than leather.

The ONLY reason I don't have a Sargent on my 2017 650 is that they're not yet available for it.

Compared from the front, and the bottom of the Sargent:

This was my Corbin on an FZ6R... good looking seat... but (for me) not functional due to it's hardness...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags

Last edited by BKP; 07-24-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #10 of 87 Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
All great info guys, keep it coming. I expected more love for Corbin, but you're swaying me.

Only thing i wish the Sargent had was the ability to add a backrest for the passenger. The jerky throttle on the 1000 has almost sent my wife for a ride a couple times, though im getting more used to it.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode