Corbin vs Sargent, help me decide - Page 9 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 86 Old 11-25-2018, 08:32 PM
aka Rick in Alabama

Garage
I've owned both and am partial to the Sargents.

I had around 1,000 miles on the 650 when I took a 3 day trip to the mountains on the stock seat.

As soon as I got back I ordered a Sargent low-seat. When it arrived I put it on and took a 20 or 30 mile ride. The last time I thought about my butt was about the time I left my neighborhood to get on the highway. That is something like ... 2/10's of a mile and I've not suffered butt-irritation since.

FWIW

Current rides: 2001 GL1800, 2014 DL650 Adventure; Gone away: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

The throttle tamer has an eccentric throttle drum that makes it easier to control tip -in , especially during take-off
post #83 of 86 Old 12-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

I was following along with same agenda/so ... the sergent is slightly softer/wider in bucket/narrower in front /slightly lower/rider position is more defined and further back, if I have any of this wrong please let me know before I invest the dough,thanks PS my previous post was for the guy who sometimes lurches his wife on take-off.

post #84 of 86 Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerphil View Post
I was following along with same agenda/so ... the sergent is slightly softer/wider in bucket/narrower in front /slightly lower/rider position is more defined and further back, if I have any of this wrong please let me know before I invest the dough,thanks PS my previous post was for the guy who sometimes lurches his wife on take-off.
I would say they are equally wide in the back, with the Sargent being narrower in the front. Its both good and bad, for me anyway. The narrower front does allow you to reach the ground similar to the oem seat, but at the same time really scrunched up the boys on me. The Corbin being wider up front allows me to move around a bit front to back. The lesser ground reach isnt much of a problem for me.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #85 of 86 Old 12-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just replaced my stock seat with a heated Corbin. I like it so far. Huge improvement in comfort. Shifts me back just a tad and has more of a bucket feel, with a wider profile in the middle part of the seat compared to stock, which I like. Feels like I'm in the seat more, instead of on it, and there is no longer that annoying stock seat bump at my tailbone pushing me forward. Height feels comparable to stock. Maybe a touch higher due to the added width.

Only put ~50 miles on it so far, but I am very pleased with the feel (comfy shape, not too hard, or too soft) and look (sleek and narrow compared to the ultra wide Russell). Leather and stitching is top quality. (I chose distressed bomber jacket leather because I think it looks good, and I know that I will scrape the seat with my boot heal on occasion when getting on and off the bike.) Very glad I chose the heated option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9132.jpg (582.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9133.jpg (666.9 KB, 18 views)
Rollin' likes this.
post #86 of 86 Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
i thought i would update here as i've had 400 miles now on my new corbin. I didnt have a chance to ride it last year due to the unsatisfactory and delayed Corbin customer service, but here we are. The delay was due to the fit of the seat on the bike. There was a large gap between the seat and gas tank. The solutions was for Corbin to send me a new seat latch, and drill a new mounting hole in it to move the seat up. The unsatisfactory part was that it took a few weeks before getting a response from Corbin after repeated emails and calls, and i suppose the fact that you have to modify a $500 seat to fit nice. Also, the fuse box seemed to be slightly hitting the seat while riding, so i ground some seat away. Well i didnt know it was that thin due to the weight and broke through the basepan in a few areas. Its prob 1/4 " or so. This was prior to me and my wife going on a 100 mile ride and all looks good afterwards.

Anywho, onto the seat. The seat is wider further up the seat than both the OEM and Sargent. While the seat height may be the same (by Corbins measurements), the wider up front seat does limit your ground reach while stopping. When driving alone its not much of a problem, but i just went on a ride with my wife and balancing that extra weight did take some getting used to. However, on the other hand the wider seat really distributed the weight onto the butt bones rather than tail bones or that sensitive area in between, so i'll take the trade. For reference, , 6', 32" inseam so not short, but not really tall. I'm not sure i would keep the seat if i was shorter by an inch, or got the bike lowered.

Lets jump into riding with passenger while on the subject. The passenger seems to sit higher than the OEM seat. Couple that with the shorter ground reach and at a few slow stops when my wife had ants in the pants, it was quite iffy. I had to let her know to sit still at very slow speeds. I went with Carbon fiber leather material, and that seemed to keep the wifey in place, rather than having to adjust away from me every so often, a welcomed addition. With the seat, oem side cases, and givi V47 top case, our new procedure for her getting off the bike is me first, then have her slide down to the rider position, somewhat seat related. She likes the seat much better than the oem where hr butt would numb in 20 miles. We went 100 miles in 75/25 increments. She was happy.

Comfort. So yes, its hard, but very slowly does seem to be breaking in a bit. They say 1200-1500, so i could see that happening. I would like the pressure points on my butt bones to lessen a bit, and they seem to be after 400 miles. Im not hurting by any means, just could use a little contouring. I will put it this way. If Corbin was in my backyard, i would drive in and have them shave a hair off. Being that i am not near Corbin, i have no problem riding as is and breaking in. Its my second Corbin, so i know its not going to be magic.

Looks, well it looks great on the bike once i fixed the gap. The carbon fiber leather perfectly matches the carbon fiber look on the Givi V47 top case. All my accessories really match well to give it that stock look.

All in all, i am happy, sans fitment issues. Corbins seem to work for me, but theyre not for everyone. I will keep updating here for future readers trying to decide. Dont hesitate with any questions.

2016 DL1000 ABS

Last edited by ERockJL; 04-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode