Motech handlebar riser with stock hoses - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Motech handlebar riser with stock hoses

I'm looking at the SW-MOTECH 7/8" risers and I'm wondering what is the highest rise I can go without needing new hoses?

20mm? 25mm?

I'm just looking for a little rise to straighten my back.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat View Post
I'm looking at the SW-MOTECH 7/8" risers and I'm wondering what is the highest rise I can go without needing new hoses?

20mm? 25mm?

I'm just looking for a little rise to straighten my back.

Thanks
As someone who just went through the whole handlebar riser deal with my 2" rox risers: First it depends what bike you have and what year it is. Then it depends if you have lowered your front end at all. Then it depends if you are willing/able to reroute any of your cables and if your risers can be in more than one position. I read plenty of posts from people with my exact bike who installed the same risers as me without any issues or rerouting cables so I attempted it(the first time) and found out I didn't have enough slack in my brake line and there was no way to increase it without rerouting or extending it which would require a blake bleed I didn't want to deal with. Then I found out someone had lowered their front forks which made them not have the brake line issue, so I did that. Attempted to reinstall the risers again, they fit like a charm but then turning full left pulled my throttle cables so tight I had 0 throttle control. I had to disconnect my throttle cables from the housing and reroute them lower. This all happened over the course of a day and a half due to various issues throughout each process of figuring out how to get them to fit.

So to answer your question, on my bike ('18 wee), I probably could have fit 1" risers with minimal work done to the cables, if any at all. My 2" risers required much more than I expected to have to do but was worth it in the end. So for you, it just depends. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesack View Post
As someone who just went through the whole handlebar riser deal with my 2" rox risers: First it depends what bike you have and what year it is. Then it depends if you have lowered your front end at all. Then it depends if you are willing/able to reroute any of your cables and if your risers can be in more than one position. I read plenty of posts from people with my exact bike who installed the same risers as me without any issues or rerouting cables so I attempted it(the first time) and found out I didn't have enough slack in my brake line and there was no way to increase it without rerouting or extending it which would require a blake bleed I didn't want to deal with. Then I found out someone had lowered their front forks which made them not have the brake line issue, so I did that. Attempted to reinstall the risers again, they fit like a charm but then turning full left pulled my throttle cables so tight I had 0 throttle control. I had to disconnect my throttle cables from the housing and reroute them lower. This all happened over the course of a day and a half due to various issues throughout each process of figuring out how to get them to fit.

So to answer your question, on my bike ('18 wee), I probably could have fit 1" risers with minimal work done to the cables, if any at all. My 2" risers required much more than I expected to have to do but was worth it in the end. So for you, it just depends. Good luck.
I dont know if the 18 is different from my 16, but the front brake line seems to be independent of fork lowering. My brake line runs to a block on the frame.

2016 DL1000 ABS

post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
I dont know if the 18 is different from my 16, but the front brake line seems to be independent of fork lowering. My brake line runs to a block on the frame.
The line itself should be independent of your fork lowering, but if you lower your front end by raising your forks up the triple tree then your master cylinder line will have a little more slack because your bars will be closer to that clamp point. You probably won't have a problem with only a 1" rise, but like I said it depends on all the other factors. If you're comfortable with some basic mechanics you should be fine.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2014 Vee2 and it's basically stock other than the AdventureTech foot peg lowering kit affecting ergonomics. I don't really plan on using the DL for crazy offroad because that's why I have a DR and I'm only the average height of 5'9". I only stand when it's hot and I've been standing in traffic long enough to be cooked.

I'm mechanically enclined and it sounds like 25mm or roughly 1" shouldn't be a problem. Touratech states that their 25mm risers don't require messing with wires or hoses. I'll go with 25mm but I'll probably remove the caps from my bar mounts just to see how much SAFE slack I have with everything and measure. Like I said, I'm just looking to straighten my back a bit and I don't think it's going to take much.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Interesting timing on this thread. I've had a set of Motech 7/8" barback offset risers sitting on the shelf for about a year and decided I finally need to get them installed. I figured I'd look at the forum to refresh my memory on what it takes to install these and lo and behold, this thread is at the top of the forum.

Littlesacks info is generally good but this is the 2014-2016 DL1000 subforum, so his experience with a 2018 Wee isn't quite relevant.

So, is anyone else running the SW-Motech 7/8" barback risers on their 2014-2016 DL1000?

I'm wondering if I should remove the top triple clamp and move the cables and hoses behind the clamp as others have done with the 2" Rox risers? Or whether I can squeak by with the hose and cable routing as-is using the Motech risers?

TIA.

Givi Trekker Outback Luggage, Givi Crash Bars, Givi Hugger, Givi Kick-Stand Foot, Happy Trails Skid Plate, Suzuki Center Stand, Barkbusters, Barkbuster LED DRL's, Dynamic Motorrad LED Turn Signal Bulbs, Skene P3's w/ Stock Tail/Brake Light on IQ-160 Controller, Cree Spot/DRL's on Denali Bar w/Skene IQ-275 Controller, Kaoko Throttle Lock, In-Dash USB Power Port, EB PC-8 Aux Fuse Box, Garage Door Remote, Garmin Zumo 660LM on AdventureTech Windscreen Mount, Aprilia Tuono Mirrors, SAE Battery Tender Dongle, Bags Connection Evo-Engage Tank Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode