Idle Hammer, my experience - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

 48Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 07-22-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
k'leunerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 39
Idle Hammer, my experience

Hi all,

I have been bothered with Idle Hammer (IH) on both my previous '06 Vstrom DL650 and my current '14 DL1000A. Especially my DL1000A. which I bought new in the fall of 2015, has been badly affected after the first 1000km (600 miles) service. I have been in contact with the local Norwegian Suzuki importer, and they have had the bike in for inspection with no result. The usual frase "This is normal" is what they offered. They, however, changed the clutch basket, showing that they don't understand the issue at all.

I have tested both known IH fixes on the market (Werks and the UK type), neither of them remove the IH. I also felt extremely uncomfortable driving around with these add-ons after a friend of mine got an engine break-down on his new Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200NTX. My bike is still under warranty (5 years), and showing up at a Suzuki dealer with a wrecked engine with non-original parts attached to the crankshaft would probably void any warranty.

So, to the point. I read a posting from a greek guy on an SV forum (same engine as the Vstrom) where he adviced a special motor oil and a genuine OEM oil filter to get rid of the IH. Having tried most of different motor oils and viscosities, I gave this a shot. And guess what, it helped!

I will not say that the IH is compeletely gone, but it is reduced to a level where I don't care anymore. I would gladly disclose the oil brand and type here, but then I know from experience that the posting would be removed immediately.

But for those of you interested, send me a PM and I will tell
Lrobby99 likes this.
k'leunerz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 07-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,517
Garage
The 650's don't have idle hammer.......

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 06:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Gert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,704
So I thought as well, until I used the search function on this site looking for "idle hammer". Surprise surprise, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...-warm-07s.html, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ners-only.html, https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...und-fixed.html
Lrobby99 likes this.

Last edited by Gert; 07-23-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Gert is offline  
 
post #4 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 360
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k'leunerz View Post
Hi all,

I have been bothered with Idle Hammer (IH) on both my previous '06 Vstrom DL650 and my current '14 DL1000A. Especially my DL1000A. which I bought new in the fall of 2015, has been badly affected after the first 1000km (600 miles) service. I have been in contact with the local Norwegian Suzuki importer, and they have had the bike in for inspection with no result. The usual frase "This is normal" is what they offered. They, however, changed the clutch basket, showing that they don't understand the issue at all.

I have tested both known IH fixes on the market (Werks and the UK type), neither of them remove the IH. I also felt extremely uncomfortable driving around with these add-ons after a friend of mine got an engine break-down on his new Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200NTX. My bike is still under warranty (5 years), and showing up at a Suzuki dealer with a wrecked engine with non-original parts attached to the crankshaft would probably void any warranty.

So, to the point. I read a posting from a greek guy on an SV forum (same engine as the Vstrom) where he adviced a special motor oil and a genuine OEM oil filter to get rid of the IH. Having tried most of different motor oils and viscosities, I gave this a shot. And guess what, it helped!

I will not say that the IH is compeletely gone, but it is reduced to a level where I don't care anymore. I would gladly disclose the oil brand and type here, but then I know from experience that the posting would be removed immediately.

But for those of you interested, send me a PM and I will tell
you cant mention oil brands on this forum?
Wallygator likes this.

2016 DL1000 ABS
ERockJL is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Lrobby99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greendale WI
Posts: 4,102
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
you cant mention oil brands on this forum?
I think the idea is to not let threads turn into long oil discussions. It happens because every throttle jockey out there is an oil expert with a story to tell. Including me. On mine what I perceived as Idle Hammer following the 600 mile break-in oil change using Yamalube, was reduced to inaudible with a switch to Bel Rey Synthetic Ester Blend 15W-50

What I want know more about is the 5 year warranty our OP mentioned.
Is that a Norwegian thing?

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
Lrobby99 is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
k'leunerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
you cant mention oil brands on this forum?
Did that in a previous posting, and it was removed. But since this is not the initial thread posting, i'll give it a try: Motul 300V "Factory Line" 15W50
Lrobby99 likes this.
k'leunerz is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
k'leunerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
What I want know more about is the 5 year warranty our OP mentioned.
Is that a Norwegian thing?
I think so. All cars and MC sold in Norway have a minimum 5 year full warranty, some even have 7 years.
Wallygator likes this.

Last edited by k'leunerz; 07-23-2018 at 08:38 AM.
k'leunerz is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Lrobby99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greendale WI
Posts: 4,102
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k'leunerz View Post
Did that in a previous posting, and it was removed. But since this is not the initial thread posting, i'll give it a try: Motul 300V "Factory Line" 15W50
So, a lot like what I did.
The problem is the weather gets cold for such weight oil.
And now this is becoming a topic for elsewhere. See you there.

I want a Vstrom with a 5 year warranty! (it probably cost extra)

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
Lrobby99 is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 360
Garage
Interesting, there are so many oil rules here i feel like im walking on eggshells sometimes. I can see how things can spin out of control, but to discuss the subject....

To the OP, i tried motul 7100 and my idle hammer was worse, as well as shifting and clutch chudder. I dont know whats different in the formulations, but from everything ive read there are many different experiences, maybe due to tolerancing. Mine has been the best, or least noticeable, with dino oils in general

2016 DL1000 ABS
ERockJL is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
k'leunerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
To the OP, i tried motul 7100 and my idle hammer was worse, as well as shifting and clutch chudder. I dont know whats different in the formulations, but from everything ive read there are many different experiences, maybe due to tolerancing. Mine has been the best, or least noticeable, with dino oils in general
I have never tested the Motul 7100, but on my last service I demanded the Suzuki dealer to fill Motul 300V 15W50 on the vstrom. And so they did, but they used the Competition type instead of the Factory Line. Competition is for cars, and contains additives to reduce friction (for better fuel economy). These additives are no good for wet clutches, and this type does not meet JASO requirements. Even if the oil was 300V 15W50, the IH was worse than it has ever been. I complained and got 4 liters of the Factory Line and a new oil filter as compensation.

So I think just marginal differencies to the oil can have a great impact on the IH.
k'leunerz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome