Keep rain off visor... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I know this isn't the exact forum to post this but I've gotten some good advice from people in the past and googling is a shit show.... Basically I want to know what rainx or similar product u guys use on visor... Had a 25 mile ride home in torrential downpour, was in middle Lane with hazards on just trying to make it home safe... My summer gloves have a nice cloth patch on fingers which works well in light rain, but once soaked is fairly useless. Not a timid rider, usually fastest safe person on road, totally fine taking road slicks on fast dirt roads, but at some points was riding with visor open trying to tuck behind my screen to see.. my commute is short, but wanted to go for a nice ride after work and didn't check the weather....
richlandrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 AM
$tromtrooper

From what I understand you should NOT use RainX on visors. Does something to the surface. Plexus if you must use something. For clearing rain, I find that a good wind flow works the best. Adjust your screen (if you can) to the point where the rain just slides down and to the side. Sometimes turning your head to the side will help clear the drops as well, but a good, clean airflow, for me, is the best way. Heavy rains are not an issue.

post #3 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Been using rain x on all manner of visors for at least 30 years, no issues to date. Like having wipers.

Cheers Tom R
richlandrick likes this.

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100

post #4 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Elk skin ropers has a small rubber squeegee on one finger, no not the middle one. They are available from Aerostich, pricey but last the best of any glove I've tried
iamsmiling likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I use a furniture polish like Pledge on my visor. It works great and it's cheap.

09 Wee

light travels faster then sound - which explains why people appear to be bright until they speak
post #6 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

drgracer beat me to it.

I love rain X and use it on a lot of things, but Pledge, Pam, or plain old vegetable oil works great. Works great on your windscreen as well.

Plexus has the additional benefit of being a cleaner.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Well, I make windshields and have several customers that use RainX. I have yet to hear of a problem. It can be hard to get wiped just right so you don't have streaks when used on a visor. But again, I have never had a visor screw up do to Rain X. It has alcohol in it, which can effect some plastics. But higher grades of Acrylic ( like the cast Acrylic used in our windshields ) are quite chemical resistant. Polycarbonates, like most visors are less chemical resistant. But I still have no record of problems using Rain x on my visors. By the time it might effect one....it is probably time for a new one anyway!

Do I love me some adjustable windshields like on RT's, FJR's and some other bikes! Seal the visor down ( you do put a bit of vaseline on the sealing surface to better seal that?), lower the windshield, and wonder why the cars are slowing down! I can see better in heavy rain than they do....

Pledge is handy and works ok. I also like to use good car wax as it is a most excellent cleaner for windshields and visors. It lasts longer than pledge and maybe longer than RainX.
erci likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
RainX makes a plastic-friendly flavor, you just have to find it. I've used a number of chemicals and found Plexus or Protect All do a lovely job.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #9 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
This is really good news. I was sure RainX would cloud-up a windscreen or visor.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjrrider View Post
Elk skin ropers has a small rubber squeegee on one finger, no not the middle one. They are available from Aerostich, pricey but last the best of any glove I've tried
I have a pair of those ropers that are probably ten years old now only real wear is on the left glove from the clutch. Living in So Cal I seldom have to worry about rain but I have used Pledge on my visor and it does seem to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode