Clutch, friction zone, RPM - video - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Clutch, friction zone, RPM - video

So I shot a video to show you guys what I was talking about in my other thread. I'm interested to see if your clutch behaves the same way.
I went to bleed mine right after I shot this video and of course the made-out-of-cheese reservoir cap screw heads stripped out ... I got one out, but the other one is so bad, I'm gonna have to cut a slot into it with a rotary tool and there's a good chance I'll damage the cap. So.. back-up cap is on order and I'll have to hold off on bleeding until it arrives.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

No need to slot the stripped screw. Use a drill bit larger than the stem of the screw and simply drill the screw head off. Remove the cap and remover the screw with a pair of pliers. Been there done that.
bobbyvstrom, MAZ4ME and erci like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 15 Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

You need to dump your philips head screw drivers and get some JIS drivers, "you will never screw up again"

Jap bikes use JIS screws not phillips.

I like the vessel brand.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Hard to tell from the video for sure. But I sense that is not far off from normal. It sure looks to me like the aftermarket levers are making your problem worse instead of better.

All years of DL 1000 have a very late engagement point compared to other bikes. There is a thread or two here about 2014+ DL 1000 clutches dragging, not fully releasing. Yours seems to be releasing cleanly. How it turns the rear tire on a stand with no weight on it really isn't relevant, there is always a bit of drag there.

I think the stock levers would work better, but I also think the modification to shorten the pushrod or grind the cams is the way to make it feel right.
jnor, MAZ4ME and erci like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 15 Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Hard to tell from the video for sure. But I sense that is not far off from normal. It sure looks to me like the aftermarket levers are making your problem worse instead of better.

All years of DL 1000 have a very late engagement point compared to other bikes. There is a thread or two here about 2014+ DL 1000 clutches dragging, not fully releasing. Yours seems to be releasing cleanly. How it turns the rear tire on a stand with no weight on it really isn't relevant, there is always a bit of drag there.

I think the stock levers would work better, but I also think the modification to shorten the pushrod or grind the cams is the way to make it feel right.
Hmm.. stock lever in closest-to-the-bar setting is still very far out when the clutch reaches full grab point. That makes it really uncomfortable for take-offs and stop-and-go traffic. Wouldn't grinding anything down accomplish the same thing that I am getting with the aftermarket lever? It's like adding another click to OEM lever to bring it closer in, no?

This just takes some getting used to. It's very different from any other bike I've owned. A long partial-grab zone with raised RPM (assist) and nothing really happening until it's nearly fully out.

Being a rider coach, I love to practice and demo slow speed maneuvers and u-turns. The feel of this clutch is making me explore new techniques, which ultimately is a good thing
post #6 of 15 Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The only way to really tell is mount the stock lever and compare how your grip is. That aftermarket lever is made to sit level with the handgrip, but appears the ball end is further away than a stock lever when let out. Might just be the way it looks?

At any rate, look over this thread: Clutch Lever Mod

I think this is the only way you are going to obtain satisfaction. It appears the 2014+ DL 1000 has a similar push rod to actuate the clutch master cylinder.
jnor and erci like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 15 Old 07-14-2018, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

With my pazzo shorty levers set on 1, with the lever fully out, my little finger extends past the end of it about half an inch.
erci likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-15-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
With my pazzo shorty levers set on 1, with the lever fully out, my little finger extends past the end of it about half an inch.
Yeah, but that's relative to finger length

post #9 of 15 Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erci View Post
Yeah, but that's relative to finger length

Haha yea, I'm 5'10, not a giant by any means, normal finger length. From the video posted above I think my fingers may be shorter than the OP.

Wrist to end of pinky is 6", does that seem long?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-16-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post

Wrist to end of pinky is 6", does that seem long?
I'm same height as you, but wrist to end of pinkie is 5.5"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode