Help: New or Used DL 1000 in Mexico - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Help: New or Used DL 1000 in Mexico

Friends,

I need help with a decision.

I have a 2018 DL1000XT (which I love) at our primary home in Ann Arbor (which I also love). I have a KLR 650 at our second home in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico -- it's in colonial Mexico in the middle of the country, high plateau, with >great< motorcycle roads nearby.

I want to replace my KLR with another DL1000. Here is the dilemma. At today's exchange rate, a new DL 1000 ABS would cost about $12,350, and a new DL 1000 XT would cost about $500 more. However, there are a few used DL 1000s around. I would only consider 2014+. For example, there is a 2014 with 14,000 km quite near San Miguel listed online for $8,500 and another 2014 with 55,000 km (a little high for me) in Mexico City, a bit more than 3 hours away, listed online for $7,900. (Both have crash bars, bash plates and top boxes which I'd have to buy if I go the new bike route.) Now neither of these two bikes may be available by the time I get there next week, but the dilemma is: buy a new a new 2018 or used 2014+ if I can find one in good shape.

I really, really like the new ABS system on the 2018. I love the way that thing holds the line if you brake in a curve. But any ABS would be better than what I have now in Mexico -- the lack of ABS is the primary reason I want to move up from the KLR.

I also find the DL to be more stable at speed than the KLR which is where I do most of my riding. I also understand the fueling on the 2018 DL 1000s is better and the wiring harness has been updated compared to the 2014s. There >is< a recall in Mexico for both the ECU and wiring harness on the older 2014+ bikes just as in the states but since Suzuki Mexico requires bikes to be serviced at the dealer to maintain the warranty (no Magnuson Moss Warranty Act there) I'm not sure I can get those recalls done (if they haven't been done already) on a used bike I might buy there. Maybe that must-have- been-serviced-at-the-dealer thing applies to recalls as well as warranty work and maybe it doesn't -- I don't know. (Knowing Mexico I >do< know it will be a major project to get a straight answer to that question!)

That $4,000+ price difference between new and used DL 1000s is mighty tempting. Are there other significant differences between the earlier 2014+ DL 1000s and the 2018s I should be thinking about? If I can't get the ECU updated under warranty there are there independent folks in the US who still do ECU updates for these bikes? (If so, I could carry the ECU on the plane with me, have someone in the states flash it, and carry it back when I return.)

Also, to make it more complicated, NEW DL 650s in Mexico are about $8,700, the same price as USED DL 1000s. The 650 has plenty of oomph for the riding I do in Mexico and points further south but I like the better suspension on the 1000. Still... a new 650 would an option too. (There are a lot of used 2012+ 650s on the market there but IMO, like here, the modest price difference between new and used bikes that is typical makes buying used less attractive to me.)

Any advice? I'll buy the first beer at the weekly Motoclassico gringo motorcycle club gathering (Thursdays at 5) at Fat Boys bar in San Miguel (if I'm there) for any non-SMA resident who offers their thoughts here and shows up there. You have to get there on your own, of course. (My San Miguel Motoclassico pals are not eligible for this generous offer -- I can get your advice already for free!)

Thanks,

Vinnie

Last edited by Currenv; 07-11-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

If I felt it was within my budget and could justify the cost, I'd go new every time.
You get a warranty, dont have to worry about how it was ridden and maintained...and it's already what youre used to.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I sent you a PM

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Didnt get a PM from you, Vinnie
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

No, no PM Maz4ME, I think you're seeing the note from Wallygator to me that he was going to PM me. He did and I got it.

Your comment about the warranty prompted me to double-check what it is in Mexico. Surprise: 24 months vs only 12 months in the US. But it's a bit of a hassle to keep it valid because Suzuki requires that all service work, including periodic maintenance, be done at a Suzuki dealer or they won't honor the warranty. We don't have a Suzuki dealer in San Miguel -- the closest is an hour away. Also, technician training there isn't quite what it is here. So the quality of work can vary and I'd definitely need to double-check anything they did. On the plus side, shop time in Mexico is much lower.

To digress with an example about rate vs quality: we purchased a late model Nissan March econobox to get around. It got caught in a flood outside our condo and there was about a foot of water inside the car. We took it to the dealer. They pulled carpets and pads, scrubbed the dirt, applied mold killer, and painted the metal with rustoleum style paint. Then they installed new carpet pads and carpets. They also found water in the AC ducts so they pulled them all out and cleaned them. Pulled the calipers and cleaned them, regreased wheel bearings, etc. I was expecting a monster bill and was glad we had insurance. Turned out the total was only about $700 -- not enough to even get past the deductible. That was the good news. The bad news came a few weeks later. My wife and I were on a road trip to Patzcuaro. When she buckled the seat belt, the other end came off in her hand with the bolt hanging from the end. The tech apparently started the bolt in the frame but then forgot to tighten it. So not the best quality control.

Anyway, the two year VStrom warranty in Mexico definitely gives me something to think about! Thanks for your thoughts.

Vinnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode