2015 1000 exhaust and air filters - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2015 1000 exhaust and air filters

Last question of the day (I hope!) Looking for some input from members that have changed their exhaust systems and air filter; if so what did you choose and why?
I love the sound of my '03 with the Remus carbon fiber exhaust, but I'm not sure what to replace the AA exhaust with.
I dont want anything obnoxious (and have my neighbors think I'm riding an HD).
I've looked at the following:
K&N air filter with Dale Walker's Airbus mods
Stock can mod: inexpensive but still stuck with stock exhaust
Delkevic: very reasonably priced ($229) but don't have any experience with them.
2Bros: several nice looking options, reasonably priced ($353 on Amazon), and I love the CF ones on my ST1300.
Dale Walker Holeshot: look to be well thought out and well tested, but to get the maximum out of them you have to go with his fuel programmer. Nice writeup in Motorcyclist several years ago on their long term test bike. Pricey at $1000 for the exhaust and programmer.

Anyone else tried any?

Thx,
Kevin L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Before you engage in the obligatory Vstrom Farklefest, read THIS:
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/l...ower-doin-time
erci likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2014 has a Scorpion slip on and the stock air filter.

I fitted a PCFC, the built-in maps improved things by adding fuel but I thought there was more to be gained so I got it on a dyno and had a custom map built.

I don't have the stock numbers just the numbers with the built in PCFC maps and the custom maps.

Max [email protected] to
Max [email protected]

Max Torque [email protected] to
Max Torque [email protected]

Torque @2200rpm=29.94 to
Torque @2200rpm=49.45

As you can see the dyno work was worth the effort as it moved the torque to a more usable RPM and I got back the fuel range I lost with the built in maps.
Wallygator, erci and klonger like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

klonger, you didn't mention your goals. Is it mainly the sound or are you after more power?
If sound is what you're mainly after, save your money and just get a Delkevic. I've had their exhausts on 3 bikes. They sound very good. I have the top of the line carbon version on my 14 1k and it was still only $299. Keep in mind that it will likely need repacking at 6-10k miles, depending on your riding stile and baffle use (longer service interval without baffle).
I run mine without baffle and it's no louder than stock. Deeper note and at low RPM, perhaps a bit Harley-esque, but this is a V-Twin.. that's what you're gonna get.
2bros is one of the louder options and they recommend repacking every 6k miles (though most don't do it nearly that often and have no issues), so you may wanna skip that one. Scorpion provides lifetime warranty to original purchaser and is guaranteed to never need repacking. Holeshot also does not need repacking.
If you're looking for power, you will be disappointed if you only plan on swapping out the can and filter. You'll need power management and tuning, as stated by Rolex and if you really wanna see gains, you'll wanna get Arrow header too, but that will add a few decibels as well.
Wallygator and klonger like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
$tromtrooper

I went with the Danmoto from Revzilla
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...lip-on-exhaust
and really like it. $150. Got rid of the off idle lag. Quieter than the Scorpion on my 650 by a lot. 1500 miles on it now and 100% happy.
erci and klonger like this.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Went there first - last line of my questions. Surprised that Marc Cook suggested leaving the bike stock - as I remember he has always been a big fan of performance mods, to get the most out of a bike.
Great stuff from Dale Walker, BTW - looks like he did some fairly exhaustive testing to get there.
I may just try his airbox mod to start, and see what happens.
KL
[quote=MAZ4ME;5276681]Before you engage in the obligatory Vstrom Farklefest, read THIS:
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Rolex - looks like you got great #'s! I was thinking of a custom map with the PCFC, but I have no experience with it; the PCIII on my '03 always worked great, so I was a fan of them for a long time.
Thx,
KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
My 2014 has a Scorpion slip on and the stock air filter.

I fitted a PCFC, the built-in maps improved things by adding fuel but I thought there was more to be gained so I got it on a dyno and had a custom map built.

I don't have the stock numbers just the numbers with the built in PCFC maps and the custom maps.

Max [email protected] to
Max [email protected]

Max Torque [email protected] to
Max Torque [email protected]

Torque @2200rpm=29.94 to
Torque @2200rpm=49.45

As you can see the dyno work was worth the effort as it moved the torque to a more usable RPM and I got back the fuel range I lost with the built in maps.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Eric. A little more sound and a lot more push is what I'm looking for; my 2015 doesn't seem to have the same "pop" or grunt as my 2003, but that has Remus CF cans (LOVE the sound!), Yosh tune, PCIII, and a few more goodies - guess I was expecting a little too much to start with.
I like the looks of the carbon fiber exhaust cans, especially the 17" long DW Holeshot, but it's pricey - $660 or so, I think.

BTW - got the windshield and peg lowering kit on finally, and roda ll day Saturday - huge difference!
Thx,
KevinL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erci View Post
klonger, you didn't mention your goals. Is it mainly the sound or are you after more power?
If sound is what you're mainly after, save your money and just get a Delkevic. I've had their exhausts on 3 bikes. They sound very good. I have the top of the line carbon version on my 14 1k and it was still only $299. Keep in mind that it will likely need repacking at 6-10k miles, depending on your riding stile and baffle use (longer service interval without baffle).
I run mine without baffle and it's no louder than stock. Deeper note and at low RPM, perhaps a bit Harley-esque, but this is a V-Twin.. that's what you're gonna get.
2bros is one of the louder options and they recommend repacking every 6k miles (though most don't do it nearly that often and have no issues), so you may wanna skip that one. Scorpion provides lifetime warranty to original purchaser and is guaranteed to never need repacking. Holeshot also does not need repacking.
If you're looking for power, you will be disappointed if you only plan on swapping out the can and filter. You'll need power management and tuning, as stated by Rolex and if you really wanna see gains, you'll wanna get Arrow header too, but that will add a few decibels as well.
erci likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the Arrow slip-on on my '16 DL1000. Good sound and not loud at all. No fuel management needed. The baffle comes with a bolt and a little tack-weld to hold it in (lawyers I assume) so I never took it out.

2014 DL1000 - Sold
2010 Triumph Scrambler- Sold
2014 KLR650 - Sold
2017 Honda CRF250L - current
2016 Honda VFR1200X - current
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klonger View Post
I like the looks of the carbon fiber exhaust cans
Delkevic is probably the cheapest carbon option at 299. Here's a few vids of mine. Pretty sure there's no power gain here by simply swapping out the slip-on.. just different look, sound, dropped weight and less heat.

Wallygator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode