Clutch switch, friction zone, RPM, fuel injection - an experiment - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
erci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsford, VT
Posts: 278
Clutch switch, friction zone, RPM, fuel injection - an experiment

I decided to try something: I put the bike up on pit stand and ran it in 1st gear. I noticed that clutch starts to grab when it's still very close to the bar (I have my lever set to 4), but not nearly enough to actually propel the bike forward. There's a very long area where clutch is partially engaged.. aka friction zone.
I removed the clutch switch and tried to run with switch closed (replicating lever fully squeezed) and with switch open. This is where it gets interesting.. with switch open (replicating clutch out), RPMs go UP immediately. With switch closed, as if the lever was squeezed, but lever actually being fully out.. the bike idles beautifully in gear, no extra RPM (anti stall assist)... no fluctuation. This is how I would prefer my bike to run.
So I unplugged the clutch switch and bypassed it by connecting the wires to each other and went for a ride.
Initially, it felt much better to me. I'd rather not have RPM go up as I start to ease out the clutch. There's also no need to squeeze the lever all the way to the bar to shift on this bike, as the real "catch" area is very far out from the bar, but if you do it this way, RPMs never drop! With clutch bypassed, they drop like they should.. no electronic magic.
So I was happy for a few minutes... until FI light went on and then the bike wouldn't idle properly. It would oscillate between 1k and 2k rpm non-stop.
Apparently, you can't simply bypass the switch

Anyone else experiment with this? Find any alternatives?
erci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,670
One of the features mentioned when the '18 DL1K came out was an "idle-up" when letting the clutch out in gear. This was part of a countermeasure for the stalling issues of the '14-'15 DL1Ks. But, I noticed with my '14 1000, and a friend noticed on his '14 650, that this same idle-up is present on both our '14s.
In a conversation with the Suzuki midwest factory service rep, he stated that the recall for the stalling, the ECU replacement, provided programming that was similar to the '18 ECUs less the settings for Euro-4 emissions compliance.
Works for me!
erci likes this.
MAZ4ME is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
erci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsford, VT
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
One of the features mentioned when the '18 DL1K came out was an "idle-up" when letting the clutch out in gear. This was part of a countermeasure for the stalling issues of the '14-'15 DL1Ks. But, I noticed with my '14 1000, and a friend noticed on his '14 650, that this same idle-up is present on both our '14s.
In a conversation with the Suzuki midwest factory service rep, he stated that the recall for the stalling, the ECU replacement, provided programming that was similar to the '18 ECUs less the settings for Euro-4 emissions compliance.
Works for me!
Ah I see. I didn't know the history behind this, but can clearly tell my bike does have RPM assist (ECU was replaced under recall by previous owner). It's not terrible, by any means, but I'd prefer to not have my RPM go up in 1st gear at idle.
erci is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,670
Understood. But when youre forced to issue a recall on a safety matter, like stalling, this is what you get. I'd much rather have the idle-up feature than have a stalling situation in stop & go traffic.
This stalling included engine dying rolling to a stop. 1st noticed in Europe, I brought this to my service department's attention the week after I bought mine. The hadnt hear anything about it. Then 11 months later, I get the recall notice.
They remembered my inquiry, and and the rest is history.
Just another one of those safety features like clutch and sidestand switches. Doesnt even rank as an annoyance for me. I prefer to think of it as "a characteristic".
V-Tom and erci like this.
MAZ4ME is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
erci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsford, VT
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Understood. But when youre forced to issue a recall on a safety matter, like stalling, this is what you get. I'd much rather have the idle-up feature than have a stalling situation in stop & go traffic.
This stalling included engine dying rolling to a stop. 1st noticed in Europe, I brought this to my service department's attention the week after I bought mine. The hadnt hear anything about it. Then 11 months later, I get the recall notice.
They remembered my inquiry, and and the rest is history.
Just another one of those safety features like clutch and sidestand switches. Doesnt even rank as an annoyance for me. I prefer to think of it as "a characteristic".
Right. Given the choice to have or not have this feature, I'd choose to opt out, but only if it didn't cause any other issues. Seems like it accentuates a somewhat vague clutch engagement point. No big deal.. just something to get used to.
erci is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 07-10-2018, 06:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Rolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney's East
Posts: 2,901
With the later stroms ( including your 2014) when the clutch leaver is pulled to the grip and the switch is activated the motor leans out to save fuel, this can be done because there is no load on the motor.

If you leave the switch bypassed the bike will start to stall at traffic lights when the load is greater than the supplied fuel can handle.
erci likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Rolex is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 07-10-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
erci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsford, VT
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
With the later stroms ( including your 2014) when the clutch leaver is pulled to the grip and the switch is activated the motor leans out to save fuel, this can be done because there is no load on the motor.

If you leave the switch bypassed the bike will start to stall at traffic lights when the load is greater than the supplied fuel can handle.
Well no wonder FI light came on and the RPMs started going nuts at idle!
That's very interesting to know, actually. It's easy to never pull the clutch fully in, on this bike, in traffic and general city riding. I actually find it easier to modulate this clutch with 2 fingers (index and middle) vs 4. I can't possibly close the switch with 2 fingers though, which means I can't take advantage of lean idle.

Yesterday, I learned that it would be better to use 4 fingers on the clutch, since it starts to grab so close to the bar and while I know some drag is OK, no drag is better. Still have to use 2 fingers on the clutch off road though.. can't have good handlebar control over rough stuff with all 4 fingers on the clutch.
erci is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,921
Don't overlook a flushing and proper bleeding of the clutch system. That might completely change the feel of the clutch engagement.....in a good way!

This seems to be more important in the 2014 and up DL 1000. Their inner hub/pressure plate system is completely different and even where the plates ride on the clutch basket is different. There is less "room" in there and making sure the slave cylinder has complete travel makes a big difference in how the clutch plates disengage and re-engage.
erci likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
erci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pittsford, VT
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Don't overlook a flushing and proper bleeding of the clutch system. That might completely change the feel of the clutch engagement.....in a good way!

This seems to be more important in the 2014 and up DL 1000. Their inner hub/pressure plate system is completely different and even where the plates ride on the clutch basket is different. There is less "room" in there and making sure the slave cylinder has complete travel makes a big difference in how the clutch plates disengage and re-engage.
Always a good idea, but the bike only has 4.5k miles on it and was purchased new in mid 2017. Seems a bit early for bleeding, no?
erci is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,921
Don't assume low miles or time negates how this might help. The design of the system makes it hard for a bubble or two of air to get out of the slave cylinder. Once in the line it can work its way out through the master cylinder. We have seen several owners here bleed the systems on fairly new bikes and found an improvement.

I don't know what model year your bike is, but if bought mid 2017 the bike is likely going on 1 1/2 years old or older. Bleeding the system is cheap and easy. If no improvement, and there certainly is no guarantee there will be, there isn't much time or money spent.
Bazooka Joe, 2thDr and erci like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome