Crash bars broke... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

3Likes
  • 3 Post By bosnjo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars broke...

So I was hearing a weird vibration at 4-5k rpm.. thought it was a weird cable vibration on metal. Turns out my sw motech crash bars broke at the point where the the tabs meet.. I can possibly get replaced but don't want to leave my bike naked on the streets of NYC. Any idea as to a bolt on solution that could reenforce the week point. I was thinking inserting a longer pipe in middle section drilling holes and bolting. Don't want to weld as that makes unremovable...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180702_124316644_1530846407100.jpg (12.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180702_124255036_1530846428817.jpg (8.7 KB, 63 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Drilling holes in pipe can seriously weaken it. I'd look at putting the hard word on motech for a replacement

Cheers Tom R

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

The same thing happened to me but on Givi Bars. They didn't brake on the spot yours broke. The only solution and a good one was found at the dealer. He said, we are going to weld them. So, what he did was really good solution. He didn't take them off and the welded. He spot-welded them while still on the bike. As an explanation, he said they broke because they were on tension. Now the tension was released and the only good solution is to weld them with no tension. That was the reason he spot-welded them while still on the bike. Then he removed the bars and finshed welding. It was 2 years ago and they are still going strong. I even removed them from the '14 DL1000 when I sold it and installed them on my new '17 DL1000.
As for the paint, took me few tries but now I have perfect solution. I don't know if your bars are satin black like Givi ones. On my Givi ones, the last and the best solution was to paint the welded spot with paint brush and matte black. Then left it for 2 months to make sure the paint was completely dry with lot of sun and wind. Then WD40 sprayed on the piece of cotton cloth and wiped all over the bars. After few times (a week between each coat) the matte paint was soaked with WD40 and now you can't tell the difference from original paint. On previous attempts, satin black didn't work as it was too obvious. Had to remove the paint. Matte black was sort of OK, less different from original paint then satin black, but still visible. WD40 on matte black destroyed the paint as it actuaued as a paint thinner. It only worked as I said - matte black and WD40 only after a month or two.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #4 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Reminder if going the welding route while the bars are on the bike, to disconnect the battery and as added precaution remove the ECU as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Reminder if going the welding route while the bars are on the bike, to disconnect the battery and as added precaution remove the ECU as well.
Yes, my dealer did both things before starting to weld.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Excellent input Bosnjo. All very logical.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2018, 02:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

My SW bars broke in the exact same spot after less than 3000 miles of use. They broke while I was on the first day of an 11-day trip, so I stopped in the first place that had a little weld shop and the guy just welded them up. At some point I expect the next weakest weld to fail as well, but for now they seem to be holding up okay.

These are actually the second set of SW bars that I have broken in a non stress situation. They're a pretty shitty company, frankly.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #8 of 8 Old 07-09-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, they will send me a new set, I just don't want to leave my bike parked outside with no protection in NYC. I had sw motech bars on my versys, and it hit the ground 4x twice while parked outside and 2x more times on dirt when I was pretending it was a real dirt bike. Bars never broke, bike looked new, and I sold it for what I payed for it after almost 2 years and 17k of riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode