The great sore butt debate! :) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The great sore butt debate! :)

So, it seems that my butt is a tad sensitive. 30 minutes on any bike i've owned and im squirming. I think i may have a boney butt! My butt bones start hurting after a minimum of 30 minutes.

Am i the only one? Do i need to eat more to fatten my butt up?

Anyone here with a boney butt prefer a soft seat or a firm seat?

Other than spending $600 - $1000 on a custom Corbin or Russell Day Long, what are you all doing to solve this problem?

Help!!

erci likes this.

2014 Suzuki DL1000. Loves it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorlick View Post
So, it seems that my butt is a tad sensitive. 30 minutes on any bike i've owned and im squirming. I think i may have a boney butt! My butt bones start hurting after a minimum of 30 minutes.

Am i the only one? Do i need to eat more to fatten my butt up?

Anyone here with a boney butt prefer a soft seat or a firm seat?

Other than spending $600 - $1000 on a custom Corbin or Russell Day Long, what are you all doing to solve this problem?

Help!!

You're not alone. Many stock seats are not up to par. Vee2's stock seat OK. Not the worst, but definitely not the best. My limit is 90 minutes. After that I start to move around a lot and can do another 30 minutes, before having to stop and move around.

I highly recommend Spencer Seat Mod: Spencers Seat Modifications - FAQ
He did the seats on my FJR (shockingly uncomfortable OEM seats!). It was like day and night. I could do 6+ hours in the saddle with minimal breaks and no real pain. Way way cheaper than aftermarket seats. I paid $150.

The downside? You're gonna be without a seat for a few days.
post #3 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Stock seats and stock windscreens are bar none the most replaced items on practically any motorcycle.
vinnyvavoom likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I simply spend a fortune on the seat of each bike I buy. One time. Then I am done for the life of the bike. Many owners spend as much or more on band-aids and other seat fixes.

Russell Day-Long

I have done 20 hours and 1000 miles on one, and over 1600 miles in two days on one. Nothing else I tried before was close.
khorlick, RevD and Rollin' like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

before you go spending money on an expensive saddle, try changing your underwear.

I've done 1600 miles in less than 24 hrs, and 4200 miles total on a 4 day trip, with stock seat, I think it is quite comfortable so long as you don't have sweat soaked seams working at your butt
khorlick, Spec and DownOnTheFarm like this.

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #6 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sargent seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin, size medium, sheared. Absolute magic on my hind parts! Think, sitting in an office chair only with a better view (and zoomie sounds!)
CAP10, booghotfoot and Trackrocket like this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #7 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Sargent seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin, size medium, sheared. Absolute magic on my hind parts! Think, sitting in an office chair only with a better view (and zoomie sounds!)
+ 1 Worked for me..

Norm
Riding for 60 years
Current Rides
2018 Suzuki DL 1000 ADV.
2010 Yamaha XT250
2005 BMW R 1200 RT Gone
2011 Suzuki DL650 Gone
Plus 43 other Dirt and Street Bikes from AJS to Harley in my past...
post #8 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I got a couple tears in mine when I lowsided a week ago. I've stripped off the covering and ordered new material. I have reduced the edges to a more rounded profile in hopes of some relief. I'm thinking I might add a layer of firm padding over the top of the OEM foam, but not sure how to make it conform and blend in. The covering was cheap, so if I get it together and it's still not good, I'll probably just get a Sargent. (worked wonders on my SV)

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #9 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

AIRHAWK.

https://airhawk.net/

https://youtu.be/YwemrCOP3_Q

Relatively inexpensive when compared to a custom seat and you can move it from bike to bike. Like a lot of other options out there some will swear by it, others not. Has worked very well for myself and anyone else I've ever talked into buying one.
khorlick and CAP10 like this.
post #10 of 85 Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM
$tromtrooper

I went through 4 seats for the Wee before settling on the Terry Cox.

My preference is always the Russell Daylong but it's tall on an already tall bike.

You can certainly try an AirHawk first as I use it even on the custom seats.
khorlick likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR65093 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode