Improving OEM Saddlebags - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-04-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Improving OEM Saddlebags

My 2016 came with the Suzuki saddlebags. Wow, are they small. I'm looking for a solution without having to buy new brackets, etcetera. A deeper pair of lids would work or a larger set of bags that use the existing brackets. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2018, 12:05 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Improving OEM Saddlebags

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHV-Strom View Post
My 2016 came with the Suzuki saddlebags. Wow, are they small. I'm looking for a solution without having to buy new brackets, etcetera. A deeper pair of lids would work or a larger set of bags that use the existing brackets. Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is to modify the stock bags. If you know how to use resin and fiberglass mat and sheet you could make that work.

I use West Systems Epoxy a lot for projects like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
When I bought my bike, I was new to side bags, dirt roads, camping ect. And I liked the oem side bags until I started using them and realized they were really useless for anything more than a day trip.
After looking around for a while I settled on the TUSK large Aluminum Panniers, paired with moose racing racks. You can put a lot of gear in them, and loose a try bag at the same time. Moose sells racks for the Super Tenere. Which is where these Panniers will be on the side of after this season. That was my main reason for going with the Tusk/ Moose setup.
That and it makes mounting Tool Tubes Super easy.
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_2209416.jpg (20.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180421_1607169.jpg (10.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180519_1918235.jpg (20.0 KB, 27 views)

Super Tenere XT1200es

post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
without sounding like a beggar, you could sell them, to someone like me!

In all seriousness, i just got my 16, picking it up tonight and riding it home 1.5 hrs. Ive been looking at the oem suzuki bags, i like the compact size but not the price. I would sell and upgrade. There are plenty of people just getting in the game that are working their way up thru the accessory game. Selling offsets the cost of new
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
without sounding like a beggar, you could sell them, to someone like me!

In all seriousness, i just got my 16, picking it up tonight and riding it home 1.5 hrs. Ive been looking at the oem suzuki bags, i like the compact size but not the price. I would sell and upgrade. There are plenty of people just getting in the game that are working their way up thru the accessory game. Selling offsets the cost of new
https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/410...15-dl1000.html
post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
If you're set on keeping stock side cases, but want more space, your best bet is a large top box. Why not go that route? Cheaper than aftermarket side cases + hardware and with that setup combined, you can have > 110L of space.
falcon4 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Do you ride alone?

I personally use a top box and a 60L dry bag. Bonus: If you have enough stuff in it, the bag makes a fantastic back rest.
falcon4 and erci like this.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, I guess I'll stick with the OEM bags rather than spend $$ replacing them with brackets and such. I do have a pretty versatile and extremely waterproof drybag system useful on the seat and luggage rack from Twisted Throttle that does a good job albeit with a fairly elaborate web of straps. Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Well, I guess I'll stick with the OEM bags rather than spend $$ replacing them with brackets and such. I do have a pretty versatile and extremely waterproof drybag system useful on the seat and luggage rack from Twisted Throttle that does a good job albeit with a fairly elaborate web of straps. Thanks for the input.

I've got the OEM bags on my V2. First tip over off-road bent the bracket on the foot peg. Not the steel part that has the bag mount thing but the aluminum it's bolted to. Didn't notice until I got home. Had a heck of a time bending it straight again!

That led me to consider aftermarket racks. I'm not a fan of hard luggage especially off-road. I had the PMR soft racks on my 650 but they aren't made for the V2. Something like those would be my preferred solution. Keeps the bags supported and have lots of tie down points.

I don't want to spend several hundred dollars at this point so will continue to use the OEM bags. Those in conjunction with a waterproof duffle over the seat meet my capacity needs. If I do break the OEMs I'll deal with it then.

BTW a bungie net inside the OEM bags helps a lot. Can stuff them pretty full that way.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #10 of 14 Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I deliver food, so I ended up going "full retard". I wouldn't trust the monstrosity with any significant weight, but its great for bulky items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180618_111323.jpg (20.8 KB, 25 views)
erci likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode