12v socket not functioning - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

12v socket not functioning

Just. Learned my 12v socket doesn't work. Don't know if it ever did, as I've never had to use it. Is there a quick fuze I can check? Rarely do longer than 100 mile rides so haven't needed it much but am doing about 800 over the weekend and btwn GPS, and music streaming phone was about toast at the end of the ride today. My bike lives outside, so it's definitely exposed to the elements... Rest of dash works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Look in the owners manual yet or under your seat for checking the fuses?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Will do first think in the Am, dark outside and beat after a 300+ mile day in 97-88 degrees...more so looking for any tips and tricks so I know what to look at for possible triag in the morning.. if not a simple fix will have to wait till Tuesday.

post #4 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 11:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

That circuit is fuse #1 in the fusebox, only a 3 amp fuse, so wouldn't take much to blow it. (Not sure if they're numbered on the bike, but that's how it's labeled on the wiring diagram.) Just as a heads-up, I believe the sleeve in the power socket is smooth, with nothing to hold a plug in. The vibration from riding will easily let it slide out so you might have to rig something to hold your plug in.
pvwheeler likes this.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #5 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

The 3A fuse blows easily. I had mine go, replaced it with a 10A. There are spare fuses inside the little box lid when you take it off, it is right under the seat and easy to spot.

The other problem with that socket is that you need to tape whatever is plugged into it or it vibrates out and loses connection. I replaced mine with a dual USB port, only cost a couple bucks to do that.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just to verify, the ignition is on, yes? It's a switched socket, unlike for example American cars that have constant power to the socket, this one turns off with the ignition. Failing that, the fuse is clearly marked underseat.
richlandrick likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #7 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
The 3A fuse blows easily. I had mine go, replaced it with a 10A. There are spare fuses inside the little box lid when you take it off, it is right under the seat and easy to spot.

The other problem with that socket is that you need to tape whatever is plugged into it or it vibrates out and loses connection. I replaced mine with a dual USB port, only cost a couple bucks to do that.
Oooh... replacing a 3A with a 10A is a no-no. Me, I'd be load testing that circuit to find out why it's blowing. Fuses are generally rated to 110% before they blow. I have a 5A on my DIY switched outlet so no cell or GPS should ever blow that, which they haven't.
richlandrick likes this.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCOCTILINIAKSKYMEMAMOMTNVNHNJNMNYOHPASDTXVTVAWVWY  sm.jpg
post #8 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackwack View Post
Oooh... replacing a 3A with a 10A is a no-no. Me, I'd be load testing that circuit to find out why it's blowing. Fuses are generally rated to 110% before they blow. I have a 5A on my DIY switched outlet so no cell or GPS should ever blow that, which they haven't.
I installed a dual port USB in place of the cig lighter plug, it has one 2.4A and one 2.0A, so if I plug things into both I need more than 3A. I didn't have a 6A handy.

I read that the wiring should be good for 10A anyway, they just made it 3A as a single purpose connector.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
Quote:
I installed a dual port USB in place of the cig lighter plug, it has one 2.4A and one 2.0A, so if I plug things into both I need more than 3A. I didn't have a 6A handy.

I read that the wiring should be good for 10A anyway, they just made it 3A as a single purpose connector.
Makes sense. I use the dual USB at times too. I ran mine with 16ga switched and a 10A fuse.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCOCTILINIAKSKYMEMAMOMTNVNHNJNMNYOHPASDTXVTVAWVWY  sm.jpg
post #10 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

IIRC USB are 5 volts. 4.4A at 5v should draw under 3 amps at 12 volts. But if it will take a larger fuse, why not do it.
Toshbar likes this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode