Newbie - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Jockman

Hi everyone new to site just bought 2014 Vstrom 1000 can’t be happier . Anyone suggest things to change or look out for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome, you will definitely get some excellent advice and guidance here!
post #3 of 16 Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome Jockman.
Make sure your ECM recall is addressed ( either done, scheduled to be done, or not needed - depends on VIN, I guess ). And read your way through this Bulletin Board, you'll learn a lot.
Ride safe.
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome to the forum and to VStroms too. The V2 is a great bike, one of the best. Some basics

- Peg lowering kit
- Givi Airflow Windshield
- Crash bars
- Skid plate
- Center Stand
- Switched Fuse block
- Tail light flasher
- Aux lights
- Heated grips

You can decide about the seat, some find it OK. I found it uncomfortable on long rides but fine in City.
Bar risers are common.
Hand guards
Adventure pegs
Front fender raising kit
Protective stickers on top and sides of tank
Tank bag and gascap mounting ring

The list goes on forever really.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I am new as well (last week). My '14 came with a "trunk" which I really find handy.

I live in Canada so to extend my riding season I am going to add heated grips and Bark Busters hand guards. So my hands will be nice and toasty.

I'm still debating on a centre stand. I'm either going to buy and mount a centre stand or just buy a motorcycle stand. Is there any advantages of one over the other?

Drew
post #6 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
I am new as well (last week). My '14 came with a "trunk" which I really find handy.

I live in Canada so to extend my riding season I am going to add heated grips and Bark Busters hand guards. So my hands will be nice and toasty.

I'm still debating on a centre stand. I'm either going to buy and mount a centre stand or just buy a motorcycle stand. Is there any advantages of one over the other?

Drew
IMO a mounted center stand is better than a swing arm stand. It is always with you and you don't have to mess with the whole thing of holding the bike up with one hand and operating the swing arm stand with the other. You can also tie the bike down with a center stand to allow work on the front of the bike off the ground as well.
After making this statement I have to say I am going through the same question since my 2014 does not have a stand. I have a motorcycle lift in my garage and use a scissor type jack that lines up with the mounting points for the center stand. The only time it has been a pain not having a center stand so far has been on multi day trips that I want to lube my chain and have to keep moving the bike to get it done.
A possible disadvantage to a mounted center stand is ground clearance. I had one on my 2007 and it sometimes would hit when doing light off road and it also touched down on aggressive left turns. I do not know if the same problems are common with the Vee2.

2014 DL1000A
2002 BMW K1200LT
Some people just don't get how a 300+ mile round trip for lunch makes sense.
If you are reading this, you probably do.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-04-2018, 12:02 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Side stand foot enlarger and mirror extenders too.

Check out AdventureTech, he rides these bikes too and offers many custom do-dad's as well as big name stuff.

Last edited by Grimmer; 06-04-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

DO: buy a OEM Suzuki centerstand, it will always be with you when you need it. It is an easy install (after I made a spring puller with a modified triangle tent stake squeezed together in a vise), necessity is the mother of invention.
DON'T: buy a Givi skid plate..mine came with one and the thing is flimsy and you have to fiddle with 6 nuts and bolts everytime you want to change oil. I just about tossed it the last time I changed oil.
HANDY: mine came with a 20L.Givi powered tank bag. That has been very handy to keep phone inside and charging while you ride, extremely easy on/off...wouldn't be without it. Plus it has my favorite GPS, a map pocket!!!
post #9 of 16 Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Location: Homeless, just a drifter. Traveling in my RV, towing my Vstrom on a trailer.
Welcome, have fun.

2014 Vstrom 650
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I’m going to second the center stand. I’ve only had my bike for a day, but going through all the mainentance adjustments I definitely wish I had one, having one on my last bike was a huge help.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode