StromTrooper banner

Fork oil weight

8K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  D.T. 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what weight oil Suzuki uses in the vee2 forks? The front end works well for me so I want to make sure I put back the same stuff I take out. Thanks in advance.

P.S. the search function doesn't like the use of the word 'oil' so there were no results offered.

#2 ·
P.S. the search function doesn't like the use of the word 'oil' so there were no results offered.
I don't know the answer to your question but the default search feature sucks. Go to google.com and prefix your search with site:stromtrooper.com and that will force google to apply your search to the site.

e.g., site:stromtrooper.com vee2 fork oil weight

Or similar searches till you find what you want.

Reactions: greywolf
#3 ·
The Suzuki factory Service Manual does not list the fork oil viscosity. The Suzuki-supplied fork oil shown is part # 990A0-01001. This is Kayaba fork oil, and Kayaba doesnt list the viscosity either. I didnt see it in Bel-Ray's or Race Tech's website either. If you want to put in the same stuff you took out, as you posted, that Suzuki part number is shown many places on internet and at Suzuki dealership parts departments.

#4 ·
The one good place on the site to do a search is the Google custom search box. It uses Google instead of the forum software and plugs in the "site:stromtrooper.com" for you. Site:stromtrooper.com works as a prefix or a suffix when searching at google.com BTW.

#8 ·
Fork oils are compared by the centiStoke method so, for example, a 5wt Silkolene may be different to a 5wt Belray. Download a fork oil comparison chart that has the centiStoke measurement included if you want the same performance using a different brand of fork oil. Some charts even have the manufacturers fork oils included.

Reactions: Spec
#11 ·
I have ATF in all my bikes except the V2, if you require a 10w oil ?? ATF is a great replacement.

#12 ·
Kayaba 990A0-01001 oil is shown as #01M on the product pictures.

In the conversion tables, KYB 01 is shown as being 15.6 - 3.51 viscosities, which is a fairly common fluid. You have a few choices according to this chart.

Fork oil weights

There are some common choices which would work well if you can't find KYB 01. Honda 5wt and Maxima Racing fork fluid 85/150 as an equivalents.

#13 ·
I use Bel Ray and usually get 10W. You can go up to 30W or higher I think.

Suzuki parts link:

KYB Fork & Suspension Oil:|| Suzuki Motor of America, Inc

Original Kayaba high-performance suspension oil. Kayaba oil delivers unsurpassed performance, consistent damping performance, special frictional properties reduce �stiction�, maximum wear protection and extended seal life. Designed for SSS, AOS and conventional cartridge forks. Engineered to provide superior lubricity, extended seal life, and to protect internal parts from wear. Designed to be the most consistent, durable, longest-lasting oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.