StromTrooper banner

Chain tension

17K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Edman141 
#1 ·
Hi Group!

I was surprised yesterday when checking the chain tension on my DL1000A 2014. As indicated in the instruction manual, I am able to move the chain (midway between the two sprockets) 20-30mm up/down when on the side stand (actually 30mm on my bike). Then I made a person my size sit on the bike in an upright position. The chain was like a guitar string!

Is this normal? Since the swingarm axle is offset from the drive sprocket axle there will always be a difference in chain slack depending on load, but shall it ever be this tight? I would suppose a lot of unnecessay wear on both sprockets.

#2 ·
Had the same doubt on my bike. Later, the mechanic explained that when we sit on the bike, the chain is resting on the rubber dumpeners of the front sprocket, giving us impression that the chain is too tight. I don't know it it's true but replaced my chain and front sprocket on 20.000 km's and both were like new. 28.000 km's on the clock now and no problems at all. And, all the time I respected 20-30mm slack on the side stand as per book.

#7 ·
Inch and a half (38mm) of slack at it's tightest point while on the center stand is what I've found to be the sweet spot.[/QUOTE

I do the same after I adjusted on the side stand put it on center stand and checked >:)

#9 ·
Whether there is a difference between the center and side stand depends on whether, and how much, the suspension compresses on the side stand. I think my rear suspension is barely, if at all compressed on the side stand, so there wouldn't be much difference between the two. I adjusted mine today and on the center stand and it was about 1.25", but upright on both wheels (no rider) there was maybe 1/2" or less, so I readjusted to 1.5" on the center stand and was much more comfortable with the slack with the suspension slightly compressed.

#11 ·
Bringing this back from the dead, wondering if anyone confirmed with Suzuki why their chain spec is so tight? If i adjust to the spec there is constant tension on the sprockets. Is this what Suzuki wants? I have been using about 1 3/4, and when i just lay my body weight across the seat and grab the chain its almost tight. This isnt even with my full weight AND a passenger. It would just be nice to have Suzuki say yes we want tension or no our spec is wrong.

#12 ·
Interestingly I was checking my chain today prior to a long trip abroad and I vascillated between leaving it as it was with about 30mm slack at the specified position, and adding a little more slack. In the end I added a few mm slack. With 30mm slack on the sidestand there was virtually no slack on the chain with me across the back and pulling up on the swingarm. The Shock spring preload was at its minimum to facilitate this. However I suspect that the swingarm bolt with the suspension unloaded at this setting is not too far from being in line with the countershaft and rear axle in the first place. I also assume that Suzuki have taken into account the various interpretations of slack by various owners. For instance when measuring slack I put a firm finger against the chain up and down to achieve the top and bottom points. I assume sufficient pressure needs to be put on the chain to account also for the slack in the upper run of the chain ?

I look forward to further observations. I wonder what Greywolf would have advised.

#14 ·
A chain is at its tightest when the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are aligned. You never want the chain to go tight as it will put undesirable strain on the chain and the countershaft bearings. Also keep in mind that as a chain wears it may not do so evenly at each link.
I am in the "a little loose is far better than a little tight" camp.
In theory we should all strap down our suspension until the three points are aligned, adjust the chain so that there is minimal slack, and then put the bike on its side or main stand and measure the slack then, as that is what you should be aiming for.
Just keep in mind that varying static sag will have some effect on chain slack.

#15 ·
The manual is wrong. You should have some slack when the swingarm pivot, the rear axle, and the counter sprocket centers are all in a single straight line.

I used to shoot for 1.25 inches on the side stand. 1.5 inches on the center stand. I checked this in the beginning by using a ratchet strap to pull the suspension down to the point I describe above.

#16 ·
Looking back on the thread there seems to be mention here and there of folks being happy with 1.5 inches (38mm) slack on the centrestand. I did a lot of experimenting today and I tend to agree with this assessment. With the bike on the sidestand and the shock spring preload turned back to minimum I am getting between one eighth and a quarter inch difference. Putting the shock spring up to my usual position of 75% preload I am getting no difference between on or off sidestand. As such I am sticking with 1.5 inches with the bike on the centrestand.

#19 ·
I will second this, and add 1 3/4 is fine too in my book
I've had my bike set at 1 3/4 since the first week i've had it, set on center stand. I always worried it was too loose, but every time i do a reality check i leave it.

During my last check, i had 1 3/4 slack while on centerstand. I dropped it onto the side stand, which compresses the suspension 1/8" more than centerstand, basically nothing (5 clicks from full preload). No change in slack, still 1 3/4.
I then let out the preload completely. The suspension then compressed 1" from centerstand. At this point, the chain wasn't completely tight, but getting there. In my book it was perfect, just enough room to move up and down a little without stress on sprockets/chain/shaft.

Now when i sit on it, i get about 1.5" sag, so it should be even tighter, then add the wifey on the back, you get the picture. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 should do it, from center stand

#17 ·
FWIW on the FZ-09 forum this is the same issue with Yamaha...the chain slack spec is ridiculously tight. Maybe OEMs want us buying more chains, sprockets and counter sprocket shaft seals?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: STCorndog
#20 ·
I have a 2020 V-Strom 1050, which in this respect is no different from the previous models.
I think that the slack of 25-30 mm with the bike on the sidestand as stated in the manual is not enough. I weigh about 80 kg and when I use this setting and I sit on the bike, the chain is tight as a guitar string. And that's not good for sure. Just think about the fact that the chain gets even tighter when the suspension compresses riding over a bump.

So I use a bit more slack (about 40 mm) and then there is still a little room for movement when I'm on the bike.

And why I'm writing this: was at the dealership for the 1 year maintenance and they set my chain as well (according to the manual) and after I left the dealer I immediately realised that the gearbox was more clunky and the shifts not as smooth as before. That was also a clear sign for me to go for a bit more slack as stated in the manual.

Cheers
Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.