Chain tension - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Bringing this back from the dead, wondering if anyone confirmed with Suzuki why their chain spec is so tight? If i adjust to the spec there is constant tension on the sprockets. Is this what Suzuki wants? I have been using about 1 3/4, and when i just lay my body weight across the seat and grab the chain its almost tight. This isnt even with my full weight AND a passenger. It would just be nice to have Suzuki say yes we want tension or no our spec is wrong.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Interestingly I was checking my chain today prior to a long trip abroad and I vascillated between leaving it as it was with about 30mm slack at the specified position, and adding a little more slack. In the end I added a few mm slack. With 30mm slack on the sidestand there was virtually no slack on the chain with me across the back and pulling up on the swingarm. The Shock spring preload was at its minimum to facilitate this. However I suspect that the swingarm bolt with the suspension unloaded at this setting is not too far from being in line with the countershaft and rear axle in the first place. I also assume that Suzuki have taken into account the various interpretations of slack by various owners. For instance when measuring slack I put a firm finger against the chain up and down to achieve the top and bottom points. I assume sufficient pressure needs to be put on the chain to account also for the slack in the upper run of the chain ?

I look forward to further observations. I wonder what Greywolf would have advised.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #13 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
My 2 Cents Worth - 1" slack with me in the saddle.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields

post #14 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A chain is at its tightest when the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are aligned. You never want the chain to go tight as it will put undesirable strain on the chain and the countershaft bearings. Also keep in mind that as a chain wears it may not do so evenly at each link.
I am in the "a little loose is far better than a little tight" camp.
In theory we should all strap down our suspension until the three points are aligned, adjust the chain so that there is minimal slack, and then put the bike on its side or main stand and measure the slack then, as that is what you should be aiming for.
Just keep in mind that varying static sag will have some effect on chain slack.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #15 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

The manual is wrong. You should have some slack when the swingarm pivot, the rear axle, and the counter sprocket centers are all in a single straight line.

I used to shoot for 1.25 inches on the side stand. 1.5 inches on the center stand. I checked this in the beginning by using a ratchet strap to pull the suspension down to the point I describe above.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #16 of 19 Old 08-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Looking back on the thread there seems to be mention here and there of folks being happy with 1.5 inches (38mm) slack on the centrestand. I did a lot of experimenting today and I tend to agree with this assessment. With the bike on the sidestand and the shock spring preload turned back to minimum I am getting between one eighth and a quarter inch difference. Putting the shock spring up to my usual position of 75% preload I am getting no difference between on or off sidestand. As such I am sticking with 1.5 inches with the bike on the centrestand.
2thDr, STCorndog and ERockJL like this.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #17 of 19 Old 08-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

FWIW on the FZ-09 forum this is the same issue with Yamaha...the chain slack spec is ridiculously tight. Maybe OEMs want us buying more chains, sprockets and counter sprocket shaft seals?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
STCorndog likes this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #18 of 19 Old 08-23-2019, 10:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I soon found chains tedious and my cat was getting confused when I worked on different bikes. So, I made my life more simple......my kitty is now more concerned with what type of oil to use....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foreman.jpg (334.3 KB, 11 views)
Byronw and Houstrom46* like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #19 of 19 Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff2 View Post
Looking back on the thread there seems to be mention here and there of folks being happy with 1.5 inches (38mm) slack on the centrestand. I did a lot of experimenting today and I tend to agree with this assessment. With the bike on the sidestand and the shock spring preload turned back to minimum I am getting between one eighth and a quarter inch difference. Putting the shock spring up to my usual position of 75% preload I am getting no difference between on or off sidestand. As such I am sticking with 1.5 inches with the bike on the centrestand.
I will second this, and add 1 3/4 is fine too in my book
I've had my bike set at 1 3/4 since the first week i've had it, set on center stand. I always worried it was too loose, but every time i do a reality check i leave it.

During my last check, i had 1 3/4 slack while on centerstand. I dropped it onto the side stand, which compresses the suspension 1/8" more than centerstand, basically nothing (5 clicks from full preload). No change in slack, still 1 3/4.
I then let out the preload completely. The suspension then compressed 1" from centerstand. At this point, the chain wasn't completely tight, but getting there. In my book it was perfect, just enough room to move up and down a little without stress on sprockets/chain/shaft.

Now when i sit on it, i get about 1.5" sag, so it should be even tighter, then add the wifey on the back, you get the picture. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 should do it, from center stand
Griff2 and Big Boy like this.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode