Front axle sliders on the 2014-2016 DL1000A? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Front axle sliders on the 2014-2016 DL1000A?

Is anyone using front axle sliders? They seem a good farkle to protect the forks and brake calipers; on the other hand, they may be unnecessary if the bike has chrash bars.
Looking at the owner's photos, I don't see anyone using them. Please share your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you don't have crash bars I guess they could be useful, but they run 1/3 of the price of crash bars which protect a lot more. With bags, bars, and handguards the area you speak of doesn't touch the ground and most have all or a combination. To me they get lumped with radiator guards and the little ones from SW-Motech (brake fluid, exhaust valve). Unnecessary for most but a way to buy new stuff for your bike that's relatively inexpensive.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Is anyone using front axle sliders? They seem a good farkle to protect the forks and brake calipers; on the other hand, they may be unnecessary if the bike has chrash bars.
Looking at the owner's photos, I don't see anyone using them. Please share your thoughts.
One of my front fork reflectors was sacrificed when I lay my Vee2 over. The fork leg or caliper didn't get a scratch. I guess it was worth it.

DL1000A 2014
previously DL650K6

post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm beginning to think that the fork sliders are mostly cosmetic on these bikes. I also agree with Brisky's opinion when it comes to the myriad of guards available for these bikes...except perhaps for the radiator guard.
You may never need it, but having it could prevent a costly ($525 + shipment) repair.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars will work in loose dirt, will sliders? I think sliders are more for street use.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
Crash bars will work in loose dirt, will sliders? I think sliders are more for street use.
Perhaps sliders are mainly for street use. Still, I remember some very rocky trails in Colorado (Ophir Pass) that could have easilly damaged the fork's inner or outer tube if dropped... Looking at the parts catalong, I see that the outer tube for a DL1000 is $346. The inner tube: $311. Each damper assembly: $688. I have no idea what punishment these forks will take before needing replacement, but it seems logical to invest on a product that could potentially avoid costly damage to the suspension for a fraction of the replacement cost.

Last edited by Redleg; 06-06-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you like to play off the beaten track sliders can get caught up on things and cause more damage or a accident so there is no right answer.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-09-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions. After much consideration I decided to order some protection for the front and rear axles. I hope it's never put to the test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (94.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (87.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg a5.jpg (90.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg a3.jpg (88.9 KB, 32 views)
post #9 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM
fig
Stromthusiast!

My advice to anyone considering this mod is "Don't even hesitate!".

I say this after losing the front on wet pavement turning into the grocery store parking lot last night in a rain storm. I was going about 12 mph and downshifted to first to let the engine braking steer the rear and of course it doesn't go in 1st but just grinds and pops back in neutral so I have no traction on the rear wheel and am already in the apex of the turn so I had to lean a little more and "boom" the front let loose I slide off the bike and watch it skid for about 10 feet.

I was considering axle sliders when I bought this last year. Wish I had done it. The axle and nut is rashed. Bent the rear brake pedal, front brake lever, scratch a lot of the plastic on the tank. The brake pedal got into the engine cover, handle bars bent, bar end weights rashed.

It seems to have a heavier vibration then normal now so I'll have to have a very close look at those engine mounts.

I'll tell ya this has been a real bad luck bike for me. It's funny I was so paranoid about buying my 2013 BMW S1000rr because of the "13" but this Strom has been the unlucky bike. Lol. Anyway a slider would have helped for what it's worth and crash bars would have really help. Not trying to steer with the rear would have prevented everything.

Adios
post #10 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Glad you're OK, Fig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode