Battery discharging after PCFC installation - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Battery discharging after PCFC installation

So I installed a Dynojet PCFC a couple weeks ago, and my battery died shortly thereafter. I ended up getting towed. I hoped it was just a coincidence that my battery happened to die at the same time. No such luck. I bought an upgraded battery (Yuasa GYZ series), charged it for 24+ hours and went for a ride. My voltmeter on the bike read 12.5 initially, and gradually discharged to hover around 10.8-11 volts by the end of my 60 minute ride. I didn't want to push it further.

The bike runs great, just cant ride it for more than an hour. When it gets to about 10.4ish volts, it idles high, runs erratic, cuts in and out, and finally dies altogether. Not sure which way to turn from here. Is it possibly a defective PCFC, did I mess something up installing it, is it possible I fried my generator/alternator, or... what. I've always shied away from electrical issues. Thought I'd buck up, give it a try, follow the instructions and do it myself for a change. What could go wrong right? #$%@*!

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Unplug the PCFC and check again. If the voltage doesn't get above 13.5V, your charging system isn't working. There was no wire cutting involved, was there? Don't ride the bike unless the voltage reading is above 12.8V or you won't get very far. I don't remember seeing any reports of charging failure on a Vee2.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So when you say "unplug the PCFC", you mean disconnect it from the battery correct? And yes, there was no wire cutting involved, but several connections (ie; front and rear fuel injectors, TPS and O2 sensors). It seamed pretty straight forward, and not much chance of my getting connections wrong - but if I did I'm thinking it wouldn't run at all.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I don't see how any of that is going to affect the charging system. Still, the bike is know for having pretty much fixed the charging problems other models had. I don't have a simple or obvious answer. If I were you, I'd restore the bike to stock condition and check the output.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #5 of 12 Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I was afraid of that. I wonder if I pulled something loose when I was struggling with plugging and unplugging all the connectors. None of them were easy to get to. I guess I won't know until I put it back to stock and test it out.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

The perfect trouble shooting tool, if it doesn't work right after you did something, return it to the prior condition.
Don't trouble shoot a new problem with out making sure you can go back to a working condition.
Too many guys I worked with didn't understand that principle and would spend hours on their mistakes making things worse.
Good luck.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Relieved and embarrassed. Committed myself to taking the bike back apart and putting it back in stock condition. Removed ONE panel, the aluminum one one on the left upper tank area. Saw that I had not reattached the 2 connectors just behind and above the left blinker. Reconnected them and Voila! Bike is now holding a charge, voltmeter is reading 14.0-14.2 after a nice un-stressful ride. Thanks for the advice guys, glad you encouraged me to retrace my steps.
Big B, Lrobby99 and Bigfeet like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yay, congratulations on a trouble shoot well done!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Helped with my confidence going forward. I was contemplating going to the dealer or another mechanic to figure it out. Just takes a little patience, and of course reaching out to the forum for help.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have u offered the antiGremlin God a small shrubbery? Definitely a must do!
Big B, greywolf, pvwheeler and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode