Ignition switch (?) 2014 DL1000 not connecting - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By G-Dub
  • 1 Post By redsonfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Unhappy Ignition switch (?) 2014 DL1000 not connecting

Got a 2014 DL1000, and had the 11,000mile tune up a week ago. Am now (evening of 29 May) on a long trip. Bike had no problems until my last rest break about 70 miles from motel. Turned on the switch with the key, but got no display lights, and of course no start. Turned it several more times, and then it came on and started. So made my motel for the night. But now, no matter what I do, the key turning in the switch does nothing. Battery is good at 12.8 v. I find no wires loose, and the battery ground makes good ground to chassis. Am a long way from even a medium town. Any ideas? Tried WD40 in the switch, but no results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Do you have access to the wires coming off the keyed ignition? I wonder if it is possible to hard wire in a toggle switch to get it running. Since you managed to get it working by turning the key multiple times it would seem to be an ignition issue.

Maybe call your dealer and see if they can express ship you a new ignition to install? You would be stuck for a few days, but likely cheaper than towing the bike someplace although that is also an option.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
First make sure you haven't just burned out the main fuse.

It certainly sounds like a bad ignition switch though. If you need to hot wire the bike, you can access the following wires from under the seat at the main fuse area, fuse box, turn signal relay and ECM. The black/red, white, white/green and brown wires need to be connected to the battery positive. Now here is the tricky part. All the older V-Stroms have a 100 Ohm precision resistor that is not included in the wiring diagram as a theft prevention device. It looks like the Vee2 needs a resistor between the yellow/blue wire and battery negative. I can't guarantee that, but it's my best guess.

The resistor section of the switch may be working. If you have the switch on and connect the four wires I've outlined to battery positive, that may work.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html

post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Thanks, Bugzy and Greywolf. Got to keep moving, so no time to wait for shipping. I looked at they wiring around the fuse box, and if I were home with the tools it looks like I'd need, I might have tried that (in fact might try when I get home as an exercise). But looks like it's going toe the expensive tow. AMA covers a bit, but not much when a guys on a long trip through the West.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Rent a panel van with unlimited mileage, save a few hundred bucks.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hi there Bobby

Today I got the same problem. Could you fix it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonfire View Post
Hi there Bobby

Today I got the same problem. Could you fix it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Problem solved it was one of the 30 amps fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171010_101651_1507684310103.jpg (13.3 KB, 17 views)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonfire View Post
Problem solved it was one of the 30 amps fuse.
The obvious question then is what caused the 30 amp fuse to blow? They generally don't fizzle just because. Were you working on the bike and shorted something out? Have electrical accessories been added with poor wiring practices? If there seems to be no cause, you could have some wiring that has rubbed through the insulation and is shorting to ground. Did you have the wiring recall done? Might be worth checking the bike over really well for a harness that has abraded. Be sure to pull the tank and check under there, too. Certainly if it happens again you have a problem that needs to be addressed right away.
Old Time Rider likes this.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #9 of 10 Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Well, I installed heated grips, accessory driving lights, battery tender quick connector, 2 USB port and a license plate light.
Everything with it's fuse and following the instructions for every single one.

So, I'm going to start the troubleshooting, will post results.
Old Time Rider likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sure hope you find the reason and fix. Right now one of my five runners is down with the 30 blown. My so slow C50 has the same two 30s with one a spare under the seat. Blew one and replaced and less than three miles on next ride blew again. Now blows them as soon as put in with out a start up. With my last week trip and this cold spell have just let it set but need to round up my tester and look at the thing. Over 30,000 on top of the 6,000 on it when bought out of state and rode home. Never one penny spent on it but gas,tires,oil. Ran perfect so think for sure its just a wire? I am so bad at just parking them in old age if another is ok till perfect time for me to work on the sick one. 30 years ago would have worked till wee hours to get it going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode