lowering the triple - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
lowering the triple

so...since i changed to the E07 tyres the front end is light and over 80mph there is a small wobble.
i think it might be because the geometry of the bike changed (taller tyre) as well as bar risers that shifted some of my weight slightly back.

so im thinking of lowering the triple by 5mm or less but i have one concern is there enough clearance so it doesnt hit if i bottom out.
if anyone did anything similar to this let me know.

all advice would be appreciated

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Generally, lowering the front has the effect of decreasing rake, which lessens stability. That is why cruisers are more stable than sport bikes.
I have the E07's (about 1500 miles so far) on my vee2 and I've had it up to about 90mph and have not noticed any wobble. Are you sure they are balanced? Might want to try putting in some Ride-on.
Also, it would be easier to play around with pre-load to change the front-to-rear angle to see if it makes a difference.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #3 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
well i had them balanced when i got them mounted (i have about 2500 miles on them by now ).
why would ride on help?

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

RideOn would only help if they weren't balanced.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #5 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seems to me I've read that the Wee is kinda inherently unstable over 90.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon View Post
so im thinking of lowering the triple by 5mm or less but i have one concern is there enough clearance so it doesnt hit if i bottom out.
if anyone did anything similar to this let me know.

all advice would be appreciated
To answer your question as asked: I have a V2 and have slid the triple tree down to the where the taper begins. No bottoming and believe that if it was going to , it would have. I think that taper is not located by accident.

AS for your slight wobble: If it is balanced / it is balanced. However, if it is balanced but the tire isn't centered on the rim ... I don't know those particular tires but they likely have a mold ring that you can look at. Some times tires aren't round enough. I know that Avon will replace a tire no questions asked if you can't get it mounted to satisfaction. Others likely will, too. Otherwise remove and carefully reinstall the wheel again. Then you have your basics done and can chase all the theories.
alon likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
To answer your question as asked: I have a V2 and have slid the triple tree down to the where the taper begins. No bottoming and believe that if it was going to , it would have. I think that taper is not located by accident.

AS for your slight wobble: If it is balanced / it is balanced. However, if it is balanced but the tire isn't centered on the rim ... I don't know those particular tires but they likely have a mold ring that you can look at. Some times tires aren't round enough. I know that Avon will replace a tire no questions asked if you can't get it mounted to satisfaction. Others likely will, too. Otherwise remove and carefully reinstall the wheel again. Then you have your basics done and can chase all the theories.
thanks thats what i wanted to know...busy the next 2 weekends but i will try after

post #8 of 17 Old 05-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

5mm... WOW. I dropped the TLR by about 1.5-2 and GSX-R by 1.5 and they got sketchy... but cuts through corners like a razor knife...

post #9 of 17 Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have E07's on my 14 1000... no indication of wobble at speed. The only issue I've had is the lack of fender clearance on the front.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
so talked to Yuval

and he suggested to lower the front's air pressure to 33psi instead of 36 like suzuki recommends(with the stock tires) did that rode from nyc to philly about 250miles in total speeds up to 105mph(just to check) steady as a rock even though it was windy as hell.

front is still light but i think i just have to adjust my suspension

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode