That was weird . . . . - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That was weird . . . .

I went out today to try to mile on a few more miles so I can "graduate" from the break in period (4k is a very low threshold by the way).

About halfway into a 160 mile ride,something definitely outside the scope of "ok" occurred. I was on a country highway doing about 65 and one of the periodic stoplights popped up. So I start slowing down and pull in the clutch to downshift and the gear indicator on the display goes blank! And I can't down shift either. ITs just stuck. As I approach the light I let the clutch out a tiny bit and the indicator lights up and I downshift one gear. And it goes blank again. Let out the clutch a tiny bit and the indicator comes back to life. All the way to neutral. But it would not shift into first.

Off I go to get back home and everything has gone back to normal. Until I get about 10 miles from home and the same thing happens!

Obviously, this is not good on any bike. And it is especially not good on a brand new bike (330 miles brand new). Anyone have any idea what this might be?

It is a 2014 if that helps.

And, it has an odd clutch related fluttering sound. Almost like a loud turbine spooling or an airbox on a race car or a bad belt/pulley on a clunker.

So tomorrow I start with the delaer. Which brings up another question. I bought this from a Suzuki dealer 100 miles or so from me. But there is a dealer about 5 miles from me too. Under these circumstances would you start with the selling dealer?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

When the display went blank, did the engine stop? Some of us have had stalling issues which required a new ECU to fix. Not being able to shift is a mystery to me. There shouldn't be anything electrical to cause that. However, if the engine stopped it might be hard to downshift if moving, never tried it, though.

There are also a couple of electrical-related recall notices on the bike - do you know if those were done?

Check your battery terminal connections...if those are loose all sorts of odd electrical things can happen.

Most of these bikes have a change in sound with the clutch out that goes away when you pull it in, but I wouldn't classify it (at least on mine) as a turbine sound...more of a rattly kind of sound or fluttering as you mentioned. If that's the case it's normal for this bike.

I had a similar situation in that I bought the bike about 80 miles away, but took it to a nearby dealer for warranty and recall work. Mine had more miles and it was about a year later, though. If it's warranty then Suzuki will pay no matter where you bought it. I suppose you could run into a situation where the nearby dealer might be less than cordial because you didn't buy from them.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

Last edited by G-Dub; 04-30-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sounds to me like the same thing that happens to my bike when I don't downshift at a high enough speed. Like slowing down to a stop sign. You can't wait til you're going like 10 mph to go from 5th to 1st. I'm sure you don't upshift to 5th when going 20 mph do you? The engagement dogs in the tranny need more rotation at the upper gears than a slow moving bike can provide for smooth downshifts.

Now I downshift in singles, dump the clutch each time to initiate positive engagement to the lower gear. Sometimes I can get away with doubles but only if I'm really moving.

Trying to find the perfect bike, one bike at a time. The doctors say there's no cure.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I started to mention that as well, but it sounded like he started downshifting at just under 65. Didn't specifically say so that may not be the case. Even if the clutch is not engaged, you want to be in a gear appropriate to whatever speed you're going at the time.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #5 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Sounds to me like the same thing that happens to my bike when I don't downshift at a high enough speed. Like slowing down to a stop sign. You can't wait til you're going like 10 mph to go from 5th to 1st. I'm sure you don't upshift to 5th when going 20 mph do you? The engagement dogs in the tranny need more rotation at the upper gears than a slow moving bike can provide for smooth downshifts.

Now I downshift in singles, dump the clutch each time to initiate positive engagement to the lower gear. Sometimes I can get away with doubles but only if I'm really moving.
This could be it. But it seems to me that I ought to be able to pull in the clutch and stop in any gear and then just click down all the way to first. And not get stuck in neutral. I should be able to get all the way to first. Instead, at a full stop, I needed to let out the clutch just a hair and the gear would appear. Then I could downshift to the next one and the gear display would go blank. Then let out the clutch just a hair and click down to the next one.

To be clear, it wasn't the whole display that went blank. Just the square with the gear indicator. And the bike did not stall. It was running the whole time.

I suppose I will call the selling dealer int he morning and talk to them first.

This is a pain I did not want! I bought off the floor for a reason . . . and this ain't it!
post #6 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Natural View Post
This could be it. But it seems to me that I ought to be able to pull in the clutch and stop in any gear and then just click down all the way to first. And not get stuck in neutral. I should be able to get all the way to first. Instead, at a full stop, I needed to let out the clutch just a hair and the gear would appear. Then I could downshift to the next one and the gear display would go blank. Then let out the clutch just a hair and click down to the next one.

To be clear, it wasn't the whole display that went blank. Just the square with the gear indicator. And the bike did not stall. It was running the whole time.

I suppose I will call the selling dealer int he morning and talk to them first.

This is a pain I did not want! I bought off the floor for a reason . . . and this ain't it!
I didn't realize you were trying to shift when stopped. You have to be in first just before you come to a complete stop or you will have problems. Letting out the clutch a little like you did helps, or rocking the bike a little forward or backward works too, if you should find yourself stopped and not down to first. It's just the nature of the transmission. Downshifting through the gears while slowing is just something you have to do and will soon come naturally. If you're always in a gear appropriate to your speed, you are ready to give it the gas and pull away at a moments notice if you need to.
Brockie likes this.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
I didn't realize you were trying to shift when stopped. You have to be in first just before you come to a complete stop or you will have problems.
This ^^

My 650 does the same as your 1000 if I try to shift to first gear while not moving. Slip the clutch a little to sync everything or downshift while decelerating.

This is not so much a v-strom thing as a motorcycle transmission thing. To my knowledge, all cycles do this.

'13 dl650A, 2014-present
'07 FJR1300, 2009-2013
'84-ish Honda CB400, 1994-1998

Last edited by b177y; 04-30-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've owned 31 different motorcycles over my life and have never been able to downshift past more than one gear when not rolling. If you upshift based on speed and RPM, downshift the same way.

Now go put some miles on that ol' girl! Have fun.
Brockie likes this.

Trying to find the perfect bike, one bike at a time. The doctors say there's no cure.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Almost all motorcycle gear boxes are of the constant mesh sequential type, not at all like random selection car gearboxes. There must be some movement to allow smooth gear changes. For best results, keep the selected gear in the speed range that gear supports. If you find yourself stopped in a high gear because of an error or an emergency stop, apply light gear lever pressure down and momentarily release the clutch enough to start some movement, not enough to kill the engine, or rock the bike a little using your legs to get the gears moving a bit so the gear dogs can release. If you need to row the gears through a number of downshifts, repeat as necessary. An emergency stop may require all your attention on the brakes but downshifting as you reduce speed is the way to handle all non emergency situations.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks!

I am relieved to find out it is the defective nut riding the bike and not some nut in the bike!

This is my second bike. My other one is a BMW G650Xcountry. It is in the shop awaiting German elves to mine unobtanium so it can run again. I have not suffered this problem with that one that I recall. But I am not in any position to argue with the collective wisdom of the board with decades more experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode